Dragon Age - Violence Trailer

Is this real? Did Bioware really make that trailer? I don't know what to say... bizzare indeed :S

I think I understand a bit better now. This trailer is generating massive numbers of comments all over the internets. It's all about mind-share.

Last edited:
Looks like they're trying to grab the attention of people who play ultra-violent games like Gears of War. Doubt many of those such people would like the gameplay, but a decent little video. After reading the book, I get more and more worried one of my favorite characters Loghain (the guy who calls out the grey wardens in the begining of the video) will end up being an antagonist.

They're not exactly overestimating their audience, but then I sort of suspected as much :)

They're not exactly overestimating their audience, but then I sort of suspected as much :)

It's a simple marketing move and they're going for shock-value. There might be a bit too much blood and gore, though. Or at least too much too fast. They could've given it a different tempo and it might have been more atmospheric. Imo anyways.

I almost feel compelled to Post "LOL" ... almost...
Anyway this game has come a long way from the initial hype of a "low magic, mature
setting" (some were expecting something along the lines of what G.R Martin is doing)
and my interest is dropping accordingly (its now in the maybe buy when it hits the
bargain bin point). Oh well.

Mmmm-k. :|

That was silly. I can only imagine the meeting where they decided on this odd little piece of PR...

It's a simple marketing move and they're going for shock-value. There might be a bit too much blood and gore, though. Or at least too much too fast. They could've given it a different tempo and it might have been more atmospheric. Imo anyways.

Yeah, I know it's a marketing move and it's pretty obvious what they think about their primary audience.

Pretty hard to deny after seeing that trailer.

Nothing but blood and violence, with a touch of sex, whilst "This is the new shit" is being repeated loudly over and over.

Yeah, that's the way to etablish the game as mature.

Can't wait until one of our resident Bioware dudes explains how we've got it all wrong, and that this is necessary for the mass market. They certainly seem to have most of you convinced the game will be a classic before it's even out.

Well, at least we know where the blood spatters on the logo came from. And it looks like they took a page from CDP's marketing book and their video with Vader.

Strangely, I'm starting to like it. One of the things that's been irritating me about BioWare lately is that they seem to want to please everyone and not offend anyone. This stuff goes some way to dispel that notion -- although I still find this Dark! and Gritty! thing... endearing.

So basically, they know their game is shit so they're resorting to this tactic... I suppose we should at least be happy they didn't throw in gigantic tits in the mix, but still it's sad... I mean, OH MY GAWD DID U SEE DAT GIRL GET IMPALED EXTREME!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at the armor. Seen that anywhere before? Yup, same thing that "graces" every other fantasy game. Same boring thing. See the green grass? Every fantasy game has to take place at the same season. I'm sure the moon will look strangely similar to our own. Wouldn't want to get creative here now would we! See the common looking castles? See the generic enemies?

And Marilyn Manson... a perfect spokesperson for something so irrelevant and uninteresting. Dark and Gritty indeed.

Yeah, I know it's a marketing move and it's pretty obvious what they think about their primary audience.

Pretty hard to deny after seeing that trailer.

It's one trailer, and it's hardly representitive of the approach to marketing in general. This trailer is certainly designed to appeal to a certain demographic, but it's not their primary one. David Gaider made a couple of posts about it, making it pretty clear that they are (with this trailer) just trying to reah an audiene that might not otherwise take a first look at the game.

I liked the trailer. It showed two aspects of the game and did it pretty well. Sure as a rpg gamer should be worried if this was the only part of the game they had shown or written about but it isn't. We have seen lots of great rpg elements in the other videos. I am highly optimistic this game will deliver.

Stefan9, I think that is a very reasonable position. I watched some other DA videos on you tube today, and came away very encouraged. Some of the combat videos looked really good, and the role playing elements are clearly very prominent.

It looks like Dragon Age is the computer game equivalent of Torchwood, a mature and adult science fiction series as interpreted by a prepubescent child.

If that content is predominant, then it will assuredly be banned in my backward country (Australia, that is).

this is gonna be the most stereotyped nonsense ever.
________
HEMP

Last edited:
I guess DA is now so big that, no matter what they show, will be both applauded and sneered at. Not enough blood, too much blood, it's too dark, it's too light, it looks boring, it looks too action oriented...
I just wish they released the damn game tomorrow so each person can draw his/her own conclusion by actually playing the game instead of looking at a new logo or video.

whoa!
looks lika a trailer for some brainless action movie.

thats totaly unfair to all the people out there.
they will think now DA is some badass buttonmashing action game.

Back
Top Bottom