|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Some rpg fan art

Default Some rpg fan art

March 4th, 2018, 14:01
Did a little more work on the hands and skin plus turned into an ad or sample work I can do for indy devs such as Vogel:

AppleIntimidation

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

March 5th, 2018, 14:09

AppleIntimidation

Sentinel

March 5th, 2018, 19:30

AppleIntimidation

Sentinel

March 6th, 2018, 10:00
I don't know if you're serious or just joking/making fun of us (Your reply #8 in the "Question about purchasing games on online stores using paypal" thread suggests your joking). But if you really want to illustrate games, well, you need to work considerably on you skills, because the things you've shown here are, sad to say, not very good.

A few highlights:
  1. The anatomy of the two characters are wrong.
  2. Everything is just flat, with little elaboration of shape.
  3. No real understanding of perspective.
  4. Colors are a bit dirty, and I'm not sure what the distribution of them is meant to represent.
  5. The picture with the cloaked figure in front of the gate (?): The cload is just a triangular blob, without showing the body it's supposed to enfold.
  6. It's not clear to me what the roundish flat thing behind the characters is.

And I could go on and on. It would surprise me if any developer would accept your work as it is now.

The good thing is that you can improve your skills. I often hear people say "I can't draw", and by that meaning they can never be good at drawing. That is not true, anyone can improve their skills considerably by practising. Sure, talent is a factor, but the most important thing is to practice, practice, practice. And practice.

A few hints:
  1. Work with pencil and paper. Gives you much more control than drawing on a pad (that comes later).
  2. Work with physical objects, things you can see: objects, people, landscapes rather than things from your imagination (that comes later).
  3. Focus on the 3d shape of what you draw, using light and shadow.
  4. Learn to see what you see, that is, pay closely attention to the distribution of light and shadow. There are a lot of important details normally overlookedc by the untrained eye.
  5. Copy works of other artists (for the purpose of training).
  6. Draw the same things again and again. Most people when trying to draw something become disappointed with the results, and either stops drawing, or try to draw something else. And by that doen't learn from their mistakes.

Personally I would also advice learning to draw before starting with colors.

I don't know how far you can get, but if you start working seriously, you may very well eventually achieve your goals. But your're not there at the moment, and it will take a lot of time and effort to succeed.

Best wishes.

pibbur
--
d++a63e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

1. The cat is alive! And pissed!!!
2. It's been 82 years. The cat is dead, and the stench is unbearable!!!
Last edited by pibbur who; March 6th, 2018 at 11:50.

pibbur who

Number 14
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

March 6th, 2018, 11:49
I still think its at least as good as Jeff vogel's tuff. I mean he is not known for his art direction or graphics at all and at least mys tuff is more vivid and has good color. have you even seen his in game graphcis for the latest avernun 3? Im not talking about bioware or nothing but indys have a lot of guys like me or people jsut starting out so there is no reason i cant make any money off it or freelancing. I need to make some money or a living somehow. Mint as well do it doing something I enjoy.

and btw have you seen vogel's previouss tuff? in the preivious avernun series?

AppleIntimidation

Sentinel

March 6th, 2018, 11:59
By all means, if you can get paid for this, good for you. But I will be really surprised if you do. I've seen Vogel's stuff and IMO it's far better than yours.

As for which hammer I like best? Frankly, none of them.

Well, you asked for our opinion, and I've given your mine, including some advice regarding how to improve. I'm not going into a discussion about this with you.

pibbur
--

pibbur who

Number 14
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

March 6th, 2018, 12:03
The cloak figure originally did start with a silhouette of a person:

The whole idea or what it turned out was more abstract but that was due to hownahrd it is to shade on the ipad with a stylus (non pro) and not go voer the original lines.

AppleIntimidation

Sentinel

March 6th, 2018, 12:04
So you think this is better than my stuff?

its first of all not even trying to be artistic or hand drawn but all dogital and im not gonna say more but at least my stuff has good color.

AppleIntimidation

Sentinel

March 6th, 2018, 12:49
more of my work:

I use multimedia all with iPad. I am an iPad fanatic. I carry it with me everythwere. i take photos, I use hand drawn art, digital art using stylus and combine it all into a piece.

AppleIntimidation

Sentinel

March 6th, 2018, 12:50
This is the last thing I'm going to write about this. Yes, I think the pictures from Vogel is far better than what you have shown here. They're not great, but they've got perspective, the characters are well defined, they've got volume and are anatomically correct. In short the issues I mentioned lacking in your pictures are more or less in place here. No, I don''t find your use of color particularly good.

Trying to be artistic is all good and well, but I can't see that you succeed in that.

You don't see this. It surprises me, it really does, but your are of course entitled to your opinion. However, we won't agree, and I see no point in continuing the discussion.

But as I said, despite my doubts, good for you if you manage to sell some of this. And if you try, I still think you can improve your skills. Time will tell.

pibbur
--

Last edited by pibbur who; March 6th, 2018 at 13:01.

pibbur who

Number 14
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Cool 

March 6th, 2018, 12:57
That flat or cardboard looking wizard twisted in a non anatomical way has perspective? You give me a week to keep improving any of my stuff and pay me and trust me it would be much better than that. i did all this in like a day or two without much motivation. all the drawings and wuch also were done within a day each and all basiclaly came out of my imagination with some figures i got inspired from books or magazines and turned into my own setting.

AppleIntimidation

Sentinel

March 6th, 2018, 13:00
I bet you also think this studio has a better art direction thsn mine too?

AppleIntimidation

Sentinel

March 6th, 2018, 13:04
I've said what I had to say. We will never agree, so for me this ends here.

pibbur
--

pibbur who

Number 14
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

March 6th, 2018, 13:17
I agree with everything Pibbur said. If you enjoy yourself doing this that is fine, but Vogel's work is indeed better than yours.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)

March 6th, 2018, 15:06
loading…
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

March 7th, 2018, 12:05
First off it wasnt meant to be realistic. It was meant to be abstract and funny or amusing. Kind of how konan the barbarian was half way naked in his movies. Entertaining is the word. Secondly, if you look at my original drawing of the piece, the warriors were anatomically correct and it was the filters and effects that forced me to change them as I liked the effects too much and didnt want to get away from them (because of the cartoon like and 3d looks i like to mix medias together to make a head spin thats what an artist does i even use photography in my stuff how many game artists even do that?) so I kept changing things. If I wanted to I could come up with the perfect piece that both looks realistic enough and funny enough but it would take a lot of time and money I dont have right now unless someone commissioned me or something. The bottom line is you guys talk a lot of crap but show none of your own stuff anyone can be a critic and put others down.

AppleIntimidation

Sentinel

March 7th, 2018, 12:06
Look at Picasso's last stuff. To the layman or someone not familiar with his art it would look like trash or a kid did it, but thats not the point. the point is to make you think, laugh or get some emotion out of you just like my work. Vogel tries to be realistic and is dry as a result. His stuff is generally all cg generated, there is no soul in it unlike his writing mind you.

AppleIntimidation

Sentinel

March 7th, 2018, 12:09
And btw before you critivise me some more, why dont you look at square enix and their artists. They dont do anything just look at the latest chrono trigger as proof and yet have a salary and are paid. I probably did more in two days on that last piee than square enix's artists did on the latest chrono trigger remake for steam and mobile. All they did if anything is aded a filter. yet they get the big bucks. Ya dig?

AppleIntimidation

Sentinel

AppleIntimidation

Sentinel

March 7th, 2018, 15:02
I just found this and think its relevant here (sometimes self taught people produce the stuff that makes you think the most):
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/81-ye…alaby.1461346/

Because they do not necessairly follow a paradigm. Myself, I use an iPad. It is almost unheard of professionally to use an iPad. Its like if you dont know CS5 or hate using Adobe, youa re automatically discounted or something.

AppleIntimidation

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Some rpg fan art