Kingmaker Pathfinder Kingmaker release thread

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So you can't even add/dismiss party members at will?

He's talking about custom adventurers. It cost 2000s to make one, but that's basically how much you'll have after you sold all the trash from the tutorial.

You can change your party setup each time you leave the "safe area" after the tutorial to go adventuring. It's a bit like Dragon Age Inquisition (no party while in Haven/Skyhold, get asked who you bring when you leave), but with POE party interface.

Review scores dropped to mixed again. I haven't seen a game fluctuate so much.

I preordered a boxed form of the game - I will most likely wait until that arrives.
I already unlocked my key on GOG, though.

Damnit, I'm missing out on all the fun :(

I predicted the game to be quite buggy from my beta impression. Encumbrance is annoying but it will get better as you get enchanted items, level up etc.

I found the combat quite challenging, definitely good thing in my book, although some battles can be frustratingly difficult.

Gah, I want to play now....

I'm hearing that the combat is not only difficult, but unfair. Is that true?

How much is dependent on strategy and skill, and how much is just the game punishing you for not building your character a certain way?

Hmmm, this is an interesting question, SC. If you build a non-melee class and choose any of the higher difficulties, it will be very difficult to survive. I mean you could take point blank as a feat and do fairly well, but why would a sorcerer or wizard take a non-mage feat unless they knew the game punishes mage classes?

You start the game with a sorcerer and a bard. These are horrible choices for a fight heavy beginning. Why don't they have you start with the barbarian or the shield bearer? Those classes would make much more sense for the beginning area and would let you choose a non-melee protagonist.

Hmmmm I would definitely prefer to pick my own starting class, as I avoid mage types like the plague and prefer fighter/paladin types myself. The game is still downloading for me, but if I cannot play a more fighter-based class, that would be beyond disappointing.

I'm hearing that the combat is not only difficult, but unfair. Is that true?

How much is dependent on strategy and skill, and how much is just the game punishing you for not building your character a certain way?

Unfair? I think that depends on the difficulty. None of the difficulty settings are "core", you need to made a custom one for that. Challenging and harder is biased toward enemies. Normal and lower is biased toward the player.

If someone is saying an enemy is cheating because of his stats, it would be helpful to know what difficulty they are using. I saw someone say he had a werewolves random encounters at level 2, but I would like to know where they were on the map when that happened.

So far, nothing seems out of place for low level Pathfinder to me. Starting with a pure caster might be slightly more challenging, but that's not different then in BG1/NWN/NWN2 (tip: sleep spell is your friend).

For fun, I just checked enemies where I'm at (monitor lizards) and they had the stats found on the d20FDSRD website. I'm on "normal" everything (so closest possible to core).

Hmmmm I would definitely prefer to pick my own starting class, as I avoid mage types like the plague and prefer fighter/paladin types myself. The game is still downloading for me, but if I cannot play a more fighter-based class, that would be beyond disappointing.

You can make fighter, paladins, monk, barbarian, ranger for fighter-based. Even cleric.

Inquisitor, magus for more hybrid caster/fighter (magus is squishy at the start though).

Oops, I meant sorcerer and bard companions. What that means is that if you DON'T go with a melee class you'll start with 3 low hit point, low AC peeps. It makes the first few rooms pretty rough on high difficulty levels. Once you get a couple fighter types it all gets much easier.

So, basically you start with Imoen and Edwin ;)

I tend to simply avoid mage-types in any game, unless they are just truly necessary, like in Wizardry and Bard's Tale games. Except for a cleric type, those are actually useful.

So far, nothing seems out of place for low level Pathfinder to me.

I've watched some streams and have to disagree with you. The balancing in this game is absurd. If a GM designed encounters like these for a low level party, nobody would play.

I've watched some streams and have to disagree with you. The balancing in this game is absurd. If a GM designed encounters like these for a low level party, nobody would play.

I did say so far and on normal. I'm not far into the game.

I did try the "spider cave", the outside was fine, the inside wasn't meant for a level 2 party devoid of wizard/sorcerer/alchemist. Then I restarted to change my character race and god and I'm about back where I was before.

Saying that, Owlcat are looking into their random encounter algo, it seems to trigger encounters meant for higher level parties. They also talked about looking at the balance for the Temple of the Elk and Ancient Tombs encounters for level 2.

I'm 10 hours in and enjoying it. You have to use the tools at your disposal, unlike many games, Baldur's Gate included, where potions and scrolls just stack forever. If you actually use your Bardic songs, Bless scrolls, Mage Armor, Shield of Faith, Arcane Accuracy and other abilities, you'll do better. It's hard because you have to actually use those things instead of them being window dressing like many RPGs. And this is playing on "core" or closest to it the game offers.

I am playing it on normal and its not hard at all. I have fighter as main and I can one shot some mobs so it seems easy to me so far! However I did min/max the fighter at character creation.

On Challenging I was getting wrekt until I realized you have to actually, ya know, try. :) Micromanage a bit and use what you have to survive, and keep your party members' HP high during encounters so you don't have to rest in dungeons, etc. etc.. Lots of little tricks at your disposal, use them. I should post this in the tips and tricks thread I made.

I will say though, that I spent 4500 gold (!) on a mercenary because I hadn't met Regnogar or Octivia yet, and now the merc isn't even in my party. D'oh! I needed help in combat bad, though, and she did serve a (minor) purpose. Ah well. Hoping you can send those mercs on missions for the Kingdom, that would be cool.

Everyone says hello to hotfix 1.0.1. release notes

Linux/mac builds should work now. It's mostly stability/translation/text issues fixes.

edit: some people are mentioning losing their saves after the patch installed. so I guess backup your saves just in case.

edit2: it apparently stop you from hiring adventurers. and other issues, hmm.

Last edited:
Woah, I got lucky. My steam was off at home, so I turned Steam to offline mode till they fix hirelings.

I installed the patch. I don't need mercs so that one didn't bother me.

No issue with my saves either. Going by the official forum, the save problem seems to be if you make a 3rd main character. Two different main characters should be fine for the moment.

I played for 2 hours today with the patch and I had no technical issues.

Back
Top Bottom