Battle for Esturia - Released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The old-school RPG Battle for Esturia has been released:

Battle for Esturia

Battle for Esturia is a turn-based strategy RPG featuring an open world filled with monsters, dungeons, and interesting characters. You control the fate of your party as they journey across a dangerous land in an attempt to retake the throne from an undead king. You will be faced with many difficult choices along the way and your actions will determine the challenges you face, the battles you fight, and the destiny of your people.
More information.

This looks quaint and decent for an old-school game. Anyone played this or spent time with it?

This looks quaint and decent for an old-school game. Anyone played this or spent time with it?

Well, they lost me at procedurally generated as there are far more appealing roguelikes knocking about in that highly saturated market and this one doesn't look like it has anything particularly unique to offer.

This is the kind of game where the RPGcodex is actually useful rather than it's normal state of inherent self-destruction, in that there's always someone prepared to play literally any game over there & the developer was also promoting his game there personally.

The few who played it, as of this post, confirmed my first thoughts in that it was ok but nothing special & would be much more bearable if it wasn't a procedurally generated roguelike but instead an actual RPG with designed encounters and environments.

Well, they lost me at procedurally generated as there are far more appealing roguelikes knocking about in that highly saturated market and this one doesn't look like it has anything particularly unique to offer.

This is the kind of game where the RPGcodex is actually useful rather than it's normal state of inherent self-destruction, in that there's always someone prepared to play literally any game over there & the developer was also promoting his game there personally.

The few who played it, as of this post, confirmed my first thoughts in that it was ok but nothing special & would be much more bearable if it wasn't a procedurally generated roguelike but instead an actual RPG with designed encounters and environments.

Actually, nothing in the game is procedurally generated. The world, every dungeon, and every quest was handcrafted by me. There may be some confusion. as I have discussed making a procedurally generated dungeon crawling expansion in the future for roguelike enthusiasts, but the game as it stands now is completely handcrafted.

Ah yes, I see that now. Sorry for misreading the derail in that thread.

I would not call the game notably complex but it is fun.

The UI is good and the game plays fast and smooth.

You control 1 created character and recruited companions. In the beginning you're free to explore to gather the party and overall the game offers some exploration. I can't remember exactly to what extent but at least some events are open-ended.

Anyway the game mostly focuses on combat and the combat and character development parts work, with a couple of unique skills and passive to choose from for each character, handcrafted encounters and smooth fights.

Ah yes, I see that now. Sorry for misreading the derail in that thread.

No worries it's an easy mistake to make. So many games with this graphical style are procedurally generated. I'm starting to reconsider making a procedurally expansion, as a ton of RPG gamers in my target audience seem to have an aversion to that sort of thing. Personally, I think procedurally generated games can have great depth and replayability when done properly.

Yes, this sounds a lot more interesting now, especially as the price-point isn't obscenely over-optimistic.

I too could well check this out when my current games are finished with.

Back
Top Bottom