The Iron Oath - Early Access Impressions

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
RPGFan checked out The Iron Oath:

The Iron Oath Early Access Impressions

Artwork of character silhouettes from The Iron Oath.

If you've ever fancied being the leader of your very own mercenary group, then perhaps The Iron Oath is already on your radar. Having recently entered Early Access on Steam, developer Curious Panda Games' second release is already off to a great start; while some of our readers may have been burned in the past by Early Access games that never reached full release, The Iron Oath's team are proactive with both updates and communication. If you have ambitions of dungeon-delving alongside your personal band of merry mercs, read on for our impressions of the game in its current state.

Conceptually, The Iron Oath obviously draws inspiration from other games but very much has its own identity through its visuals and world-building. For example, you'll feel right at home with its mercenary management and dungeon exploration if you've played Darkest Dungeon, yet the execution of its influences is original. The Iron Oath utilises many different systems that operate in tandem, and all of them need to be closely monitored by the player to maximise the chance of success.

[...]

Overall, my experience with The Iron Oath was very enjoyable. I'm glad I initially replayed the tutorial level. While I'm familiar with similar games in the genre, The Iron Oath wants to stand apart from them and establish its own gameplay flow. It's a very polished Early Access game, and that extends to every facet of its development. There's even an in-game feedback function, allowing players to report any issues on the fly. The developers have already pushed out four updates at time of writing: two smaller updates and two "regular" updates. The patch notes reflect the enthusiasm driving the game to its completion, with changes including bugfixes, balance adjustments, client optimisations, and more.
More information.

Most opinions seem positive to bad I don't play many early access games. Though I know it will definitely be a day one play for me when it's finally finished.

Most opinions seem positive to bad I don't play many early access games. Though I know it will definitely be a day one play for me when it's finally finished.
I tired it out for a few hours. It seems to have some positives but not sure about it yet.

The way it felt was that on paper it has some amazing elements but the "fun" factor for me personally was less than Battle Brothers for example.

I'll give it some time to stew and try again.

I'm another waiting until all the baking is done with this one before cutting myself a slice, yet what I read about the game is over ninety percent positive in my book. One I'm really looking forward to playing, perhaps a bit later this year.

Back
Top Bottom