Daggerfall - Guide for new Players

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Zaric Zhakaron presents Daggerfall:

Elder Scrolls 2 Daggerfall Guide for New Players | FREE Download, Unity Engine, Builds

Newer players whom have gotten used to easier titles like Oblivion or Skyrim see Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall is an oppressive title that is far too difficult to get into. So I'll be doing a guide on how to download, install, build characters, and get started with the game. We'll be talking about an easy build for new players as well as a broken overpowered build that makes the game FAR too easy.
More information.

T'was and still is the best elder scroll game to date.

ARENA was the best. Daggie unfortunately was already Level Scaled. Whoever the heck thought out Level Scaling, must be Time Assassinated.
Still the door creaking and fantastic Zombie Dungeon MOAN sound effects were the absolute best in Daggerfall.

Well despite it's many flaws, I still think Morrowind was the best Elder Scrolls game. Though all have been fun to me for different reasons.

Morrowind was my first RPG when I got back to PC Gaming, so its special to me too.
But Daggerfall amazed me once I realized the scale of the thing! Its why I hate the negative feelings for procedural generation in gaming; if someone can implement it with enough variety it could make some incredible worlds.
Opening out modding for Daggerfall has been one of the most exciting developments in gaming for me - it just needs the talent!

My teenage-self didnt find difficulty oppressive when it was released. If anything, then bugs were oppressive upon release. But even that didnt stop me to enjoy it thoroughly.
Good old times :)

I looked at buying Daggerfall on more than one occasion when I read about it in PC Gaming and Computer Shopper (did Computer Shopper even have reviews!?). The tales of major bugs scared me away, however. What you bought was what you got in those days and I didn't want to be stuck with a buggy, frustrating game. Have yet to play it, but the Unity Engine overhaul looks well-done.

I still prefer written guides. Easy to print out and lay down besides the keyboard.

Has anyone here played around using the Unity mod? I'm wondering if the UI is a little less cumbersome from vanilla... the UI is the main reason I never played Daggerfall a 2nd time... just didn't want to deal with the UI again.

I have to agree with Mercy. Elder Scrolls: Arena was my favorite(though getting my Roland Sound Canvas SCD-15 daughterboard to work with my soundblaster 16 sound card reliably in Arena in DOS was a pain in the butt. But when it was working, the midi music was beautiful beyond belief(especially the midi music that played when it was snowing outside). And it was frustrating, when I called tech support at Roland, they would tell me to call Bethesda Softworks tech support, and when I called Bethesda tech support, they said I should call Roland tech support).
I really enjoyed using the passwall spell as a way to shortcut my way through dungeons and save precious time. Unfortunately, passwall spell didn't show up in the sequels. Actually, I am reminded of another spell I really liked that seems to have disappeared in sequels. In Morrowind, there was the levitate spell, which I loved. It was like being able to walk on air and you could go really high up and have a great view of the land below. When Elder Scrolls Online was in development, I had hoped passwall and levitate would be included in the game. Sadly, they were not.

Daggerfall is another one of those old games you either love or hate. Nuff said.:)

That automap used to confuse the hell out of me. I played around with the Unity Mod. It was kinda cool but after awhile, the longer dungeons just got on my nerves.

Has anyone here played around using the Unity mod? I'm wondering if the UI is a little less cumbersome from vanilla… the UI is the main reason I never played Daggerfall a 2nd time… just didn't want to deal with the UI again.

I played unity daggerfall late this spring it was perfectly playable I actually finished the main quest for the first time

The Ui was good at least I can´t remember anything that I didn´t like I think I had to rebind some keys and change some settings from default but otherwise it worked great

The only bug I had was that thief and assassins guild didn´t show up on the city maps after you had joined but you can find them anyway if you want to and know what to look for

I enjoyed the Unity version; at least it was fully playable and when I got tired of running around a LONG dungeon I could always use the 'cheat' which took you straight to your target. Saved a TON of frustration!!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom