Like Grim Dawn?

Nice Dart. Well I'm going to play it for 3-4 days. If I'm still playing Friday night, I'll buy it. Is it really $80 for both pieces of the game or am I mis-reading that? Have either of you played the expansion?

I don't know what it costs today, but Blizzard aren't big on reducing their prices.

Yeah, the expansion is excellent and I wouldn't want to play D3 without it. The final act is probably my favorite in terms of setting and atmosphere. Also, I believe all the Rift stuff is part of the expansion, which is probably not something you want to miss - though I personally prefer playing through the campaign on increasingly harder difficulty levels.

I much prefer the customization of Path of Exile over D3. I tried d3 again once the expansion hit and it simply didn't grab me at all. The loot is just so boring; 90% of its makeup is +stats, including legendaries.

Definitely continue with the demo; the main facets of the game don't change much at all beyond it, so it should give you a small idea of whether you'll enjoy the purchase.

It hasn't grabbed me yet, like Grim Dawn did, but I've enjoyed what I've seen. The big kicker is whether I would get $80 of fun out of an action game. I never replay a character past the first time through; I would start over with a new character. I will probably never play above hard, though normal seems a little too easy. I will play whatever is above normal tonight and see how that goes. I'm not the typical audience for any action game, really. I'll probably have 10-15 characters at mid levels rather than 3-4 that have "beaten" the game. I like deciding where to put my skills and Diablo seems to auto-fill in this area so far.

I can get them through Amazon for $50 and may do that if I like it.

Drithius is very wrong about legendary items, as they changed them so that the majority have something significant beyond just stat increases. That is the heart of the loot appeal. But I would never recommend a game that you're not enjoying, though I personally don't think the game shines until you reach the higher levels.

To each his own, though ;)

You might like "Divine divinity" I think it offers much of the things you are looking for. You can get it for a couple of bucks from GoG.com.

Tip for Diablo III: Enable Elective mode. This will unlock the default keybinds so you can assign any skill to any slot greatly expanding build customization.

Directions here

I think I like it well enough, so I purchased it. Levels seem to climb very fast, at least early. I really only like the looks of the wizard class and perhaps the monk, so I've been playing wizards. I always prefer the magic classes. I've just been replaying the starter area several times with 3-4 wizards, all on normal.

I still like Grim Dawn's items better, by a long shot, but I'm very early in the game. In GD you find tons of loot that will make one of your actives very powerful if you focus. D3 seems to play like all levels before max are just warm-up. Not sure if that will work for me in the long run because I love the build up. I generally have a bunch of toons in the early acts and maybe just one toon that finishes the campaign.

I've only played the two days, but I don't see any lag at all, even with a whole screen full of combatants and my magic flying all over the place. I've got a templar that joins me but he doesn't have any gear and I never find anything appropriate for his class in my drops.

I think I like it well enough, so I purchased it. Levels seem to climb very fast, at least early. I really only like the looks of the wizard class and perhaps the monk, so I've been playing wizards. I always prefer the magic classes. I've just been replaying the starter area several times with 3-4 wizards, all on normal.

I still like Grim Dawn's items better, by a long shot, but I'm very early in the game. In GD you find tons of loot that will make one of your actives very powerful if you focus. D3 seems to play like all levels before max are just warm-up. Not sure if that will work for me in the long run because I love the build up. I generally have a bunch of toons in the early acts and maybe just one toon that finishes the campaign.

I've only played the two days, but I don't see any lag at all, even with a whole screen full of combatants and my magic flying all over the place. I've got a templar that joins me but he doesn't have any gear and I never find anything appropriate for his class in my drops.

Let's see how you like legendaries later on :)

Nah, you don't need to be max level to enjoy it - but I'd say the game doesn't really open up until you've been through it at least once. Probably around 40-50th level - and then the cooler stuff starts dropping and you have a better idea of your build and what skills work well together.

If nothing else, it's worth going through at least once - just to get the fantastic cutscenes. I'm particularly fond of the expansion introduction sequence - which I think is very well done.

Get into the Diablo games. Start with the first game, complete it, and move to the second game. You will be blown away by these games, even today! I have them both installed on my hard drive for when I get the action-RPG itch. The loot, character customization and development, atmosphere, graphics, etc., are all great. Just talking about them makes me want to go back and play them. :)

Just make sure if you play Diablo 2, you devote longer game sessions to it. The enemies respawn upon exiting the game and coming back in, so you'll want to spend some time with it. Great game nonetheless. Start with the first Diablo, though.

I'm afraid my experiences with Diablo 2 wasn't as pleasant :( The music was good and so was the atmosphere. But the grind was too much - I couldn't play beyond the second Act. It felt so pointless and monotonous - more work than fun.

I found that Titan Quest and Divine Divinity were better games as a whole.

Also Diablo 3 and Grim Dawn are a lot more fun to me. :)

I'm roughly 21st level now as a wizard and enjoying the game. I've had a templar and a scoundrel join me, though there is no gear for either class, that I can tell. I do find an occasional piece of "follower" gear. Neither of these guys make much of a difference in battles, they just draw a little aggro while I mop up the room. The templar heals though, so I take him most of the time. I take the other dude for variety. Since I really don't know who Diablo was, the story is mostly irrelevant for me, but that's okay. Loot is getting better as Dart promised and I'm already looking for gear and gems that will work with my build.

If you want to play Diablo series play Diablo 2 instead. It is much more similar to GD but with worse graphics. I wonder if there are hd mods or something for D2.

Also there is some HD version of Diablo 1 to get, I suggest you try that as well. Diablo 1 atmosphere was not replicated by any aRPG that came after.

Well D3 has dropped me 17 times this morning. Had a day off to finally play uninterrupted but my private, single-player game has gotten disconnected so many times that it is already getting very old.

Yes, that happened to me for a few days. The blizzard servers get attacked every so often. It can be frustrating.

No sooner did I come here to complain about it, the drops stopped completely. I've basically played non-stop since that post this morning, outside of chow breaks.

It seems something started happening to Bliz servers in the last few weeks or months. That's not the typical scenario - and I hope they get it sorted ASAP.

Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying the game :)

I was a big fan of Path of Exile until I hit (what used to be) the final boss. It was so incredibly hard to beat I won't touch the game now. It seems you have to really optimize the build to succeed

I was a big fan of Path of Exile until I hit (what used to be) the final boss. It was so incredibly hard to beat I won't touch the game now. It seems you have to really optimize the build to succeed

I find last boss more boring than hard.Battle takes way too long since there is too much "dancing" around his abilities and too little fighting.Unless you have kickass gear and I don't since I neither grind nor trade with other players.

Back
Top Bottom