|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Demon's Souls - Play it on a PC

Default Demon's Souls - Play it on a PC

August 1st, 2017, 00:13
Gamewatcher reports that with a PS3-emulator Demon's Souls can now be played on a PC:

Demon's Souls is playable on PC for the first time

loading…

Thanks to the work of this emulation team Demon's Souls, the PS3-only precursor to Dark Souls, can now be played on PC for the first time. You can see the results above, which is captured on a PC running a i7-6700 @ 4.0 ghz.

[…]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

August 1st, 2017, 00:13
Keeps this plaque of awful button mashers away from RPGs!

ramses01

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

August 1st, 2017, 01:23
Interesting. I wasn't even aware a PS3 emulator existed. I wonder how accurate it is.

*Edit* Ah ok.. they say the audio is quite buggy and it's prone to crashes.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

August 1st, 2017, 02:24
I hope one day it gets the proper PC port that it deserves. Smaller in scale than dark souls with tightly designed gears, weapons, armor and crafting. Combat is almost identical to Dark Souls. Bosses are not that difficult but getting to them is challenging, and bonefires are far in between.

I completed it on PS3 and enjoyed it more than Dark Souls (which I completed 3 times!).

SpoonFULL

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

August 1st, 2017, 09:30
I have been hoping for a remaster release for this game for years. It is great.
Getting the emulator set up to play this sounds daunting but I might have to give it a try.

Lynchden

Watchdog
Original Sin 2 Donor

August 1st, 2017, 12:42
I have borrowed ps3 from my colleague, and bought this game together with the last of us. So i enjoyed both games, but the last of us remained in my memory much longer, great story. As for the Demon's Souls, i think Dark Souls is better game. Maybe it is because i begun with the latter..Anyway, it has archaic concepts for today's gaming

muhabor

Sentinel

August 1st, 2017, 16:50
This was the final game I played on my playstation before it became a glorified dvd player. It was fun, but not a game I'd ever replay, on console or computer to be honest. It just wasn't that awesome.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

August 2nd, 2017, 12:08
Originally Posted by ramses01 View Post
Keeps this plaque of awful button mashers away from RPGs!
If you button mash whilst playing a Souls game, you're just going to get yourself killed. Period. Thus, one probably shouldn't characterise Demons Souls with such a negative and incorrect generality.

Given that I don't have a PS3, yet have several PS3 games on my shelf thanks to a friend who loaned me his console a few years ago, this is actually an interesting topic, thanks for the heads-up HiddenX/Farflame.

One of the games that I haven't played is Dragon's Dogma; so I'll keep an eye on this and hopefully the bugs/issues are gradually ironed out.
--
Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

August 2nd, 2017, 14:51
The fact that an emulator of the PS3 Cell hardware has come this far is very impressive. Having achieved this much, hopefully they'll be able to get it to the polished standard of something like Dolphin.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

August 3rd, 2017, 05:45
LOL you do realize that all of the souls gamed are very simple button mashers, right? That is all the depth there is to the games.

ramses01

Watcher

August 3rd, 2017, 07:11
LOL you do realize that all of the souls gamed are very simple button mashers, right? That is all the depth there is to the games.
They're action-oriented, but they're definitely not just simple button mashers. It's obvious that you've never actually played them.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

August 3rd, 2017, 07:46
LOL you do realise you're a very simple button masher, right? That's all the depth there is to your skill.

SirJames

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

August 3rd, 2017, 11:11
Simple, absolutely yes, not button mashers though. But simple grinders.
The system is QTE2.0 - you have to time keypresses, only you don't see silly prompts what to "mash" but you need to watch trashmob moves. Oops. Mushroompresses. Or mushroommoves. Whatever.
You can't put a blindfold, click randomly and win - it's not like playing rightclick2win Akali in LoL.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)

August 3rd, 2017, 11:18
When did this place become such a haven for these loonies?

NewDArt

Mentioned: Post(s)

August 3rd, 2017, 11:22
Originally Posted by NewDArt View Post
When did this place become such a haven for these loonies?
In march, 2017.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

August 3rd, 2017, 11:37
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
In march, 2017.
That would have been clever if you didn't have the old version of me on ignore long before then

NewDArt

Mentioned: Post(s)

August 3rd, 2017, 17:44
I must disagree about the concept of "mashing" buttons for the Souls series. As stated by Pessimeister, repeatedly pressing buttons often meant I wouldn't make progress. The concept of the game is designed around observing enemy movements and reacting to them accordingly, as your character takes time perform an action and recover from it. Very different from, say, Devil May Cry or anything of that sort.
--
~Watching since 2007~

Ragnaris

Sentinel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

August 3rd, 2017, 22:38
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Simple, absolutely yes, not button mashers though. But simple grinders.
I know I've said this to you before, but grinding is an option if its too hard to progress further… Some people win without ever leveling up - let alone GRIND to level up. They're called onebros! I have won DS1 and 2 onebro styles, but not attempted 3 yet. Kinda over Dark Souls, to be honest. I'm ready for Fromsoftwares next game! I'm not even gonna bother trying this Demon Souls emulation, even though I've searched for it in the past.
The system is QTE2.0 - you have to time keypresses, only you don't see silly prompts what to "mash" but you need to watch trashmob moves. Oops. Mushroompresses. Or mushroommoves. Whatever.
What on earth are you talking about? Mushrooms, or… What?

I think they call them "telegraphed" moves. Sort of how real swordplay would function? You see them move and react. Beats Morrowind with its missed point blank melee swings from tohit chance.
You can't put a blindfold, click randomly and win - it's not like playing rightclick2win Akali in LoL.
You can win from buttonmashing just because its so unexpected. Example:
loading…

I wonder who would win PvP between this 3 year old and ramses01

SirJames

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

August 4th, 2017, 13:44
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
I know I've said this to you before, but grinding is an option if its too hard to progress further… Some people win without ever leveling up - let alone GRIND to level up. They're called onebros!
These people should have been called replaying the same shitgame for 100th time.

Everyone grinds in their first playthrough. It's not an option, it's a necessity. You just think it's an option in the first playthrough, it is not.
And that's the very reason why I'll keep calling that trash genre grinders.

Some call those games dodgers, but to be honest, it's still possible to make another same genre entry without dodging while keeping the same grindbased design.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Demon's Souls - Play it on a PC