C2077 Some more news on Cyberpunk ( from Gamescom)

Cyberpunk 2077

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch
To keep this clear from E3.

It is now playable from start to finish

" Cyberpunk 2077 has been in development for at least six years and its team recently hit a major milestone: The entire game is playable from start to finish. It doesn't have all of the proper assets, playtesting or bug fixes in place, but seeing the story come together is a critical step in the development process, Borzymowski said. "

from: https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/23/cyberpunk-2077-daylight-interview/

From a recent interview ( translated, summarized)

CD Projekt Red learned from their mistakes with Witcher 3. How painful is to delay game. They said that they will release the game only when it hits final form/when they feel comfortable
Cyberpunk 2077 is fresh wind for the studio, some people drawn swords for straight up 10 years
They talked about perspective issue, how they solved the perspective problem/approach combined with rpg elements, outfitting your character, and rpg mechanics. Witcher was a observing style rpg, with CP2077 they want immersion.
They talked about items laying on the ground, being able to interact naturally cuz u see it and it piques your interest
Body/eye enhacements got direct influence in your playstyle
Former Counterstrike player worked on gun combat so he got the right "groove" or feel.
First level of the design - combination of RPG and FPS, weapon choices: smart guns, katanas deflecting bullets.
Second level of the design - making sure everything is part of the world and believeable
They stress the importance of immersion and believeable parts of design.
Devs love the challenge and difficulty. The more challenging something is the more they aspire to realise it.
Character creation is WIP
People react to clothes and appearance, if you look cool, people will recognise. Tattoos, hairstyles, outfits give huge balls and stats
Side quests affect main quest. Things may change considerably if you don't do the quest or mess up
They mentioned being disappointed after 100 hours of playing, realising their ending isn't what they wanted. They said that playing CP2077 will bring the same feeling. It will make people think how and when they made mistake
Always trying to be a good person may yield a not so good ending.
Replay value is a core thing and the game being single player. (they also got applause for no information about DLCs and no microtransactions)
They laughed about other companies and game products, about flowcharts depicting how much money u gonna spent to have the "full game". Like the famous battlefront heros charts. They laughed about selling hair cuts individually.
They talked about Witcher 3's DLCs. How people accused them of cutting content from original game. They had huge issue trying to do things because they are scared of "triggering" bad thoughts they didn't wanna convey
They were told that 60 € AAA games without microtransactions are not worth it but they proved that wrong with Witcher 3. As a flipside of that relaxed approach tehy have no stress to release CP2077 for example 21.12 to keep making end of year money.
They don't care about pressure of success (because of Witcher 3) but they care a lot more about the pressure of perfection (I love them)
You can't enter every building in the game because they would have problem with filling the all with interesting content or fixing all bugs and clippings.
They laughed about 1 lift in Witcher 3 which was teleporting because engine couldn't handle lift mechanics :D
There'll be a lot more lifts in Night City
Big inspiration from Dredd in building mega buildings. Those are fully enterable since you live in one. Mega buildings are easier to fill with "good" content and playtime.
They stressed that most stuff happens on the streets in cp2077 and people are ought to not forget that
People got FCK DRM shirts
\*Flying cars is a thing for later, THEY STILL WORK ON THAT. It's hard to do because of dense city, they are wondering if they even want that because it conflicts with the enviroment.
\It's either kinda destructible enviroment or flying cars or neither.* They would love to feature but struggle to make it work
\Flying cars could be harsh for the level designers since it enables people to skip all the content, like fast travel, people wouldn't get hidden side quests.*
Homosexual relations and romance are in the game.
**Game isn't done to show gameplay to people, it's their baby and it needs lots of work. Game isn't stable enough. Crashes, bugs, buggy textures - they don't need that feedback and then that people won't watch it under optimal circumstances*\*
E3 Trailer was finished 12 hours before E3 conference.
They compared to tinder situation where they worry endlessly about the first message that they mess up.
**They said CD Projekt don't need overly bad impressions until its polished enough*\*
**Gameplay will probably only be anything of pressure not of need that they have to. BUT NOT YET.*\*

Katana deflecting bullets (with a magnetic mod) is the most interesting stuff from Gamescom when it comes to Cyberpunk 2077.

Also, when they announced TW3 was playable start to finish, it was about a year before it released…

edit:
IGN did a comparison of the E3 and gamescom demo.

I kind of hope they don’t do flying cars. Personally I’d prefer no driving of vehicles at all.

I would however love destructible environments.

I kind of hope they don’t do flying cars. Personally I’d prefer no driving of vehicles at all.
I want all kinds of vehicles to drive.
I just don't want racing GTA/N4S crap.

I want all kinds of vehicles to drive.
I just don't want racing GTA/N4S crap.

If there’s just vehicles to drive if I want, then I’m fine with it.

But, if I have to drive some Npc’s across town in 3min and a timer pops up in the corner of the screen I may throw my mouse through the screen.

Good article on world and level design:

https://www.vg247.com/2018/08/25/cyberpunk-2077-night-city-buildings-npcs-deserts-mountains/

Some quotes:

Our community system is based around routines,” producer Richard Borzymowski tells me. “In certain parts of the city there are communities set up, they have their routines and they behave differently during the day and night. Districts that might be very lively during the day might be very empty during the night, which might influence you going there because there might be some other guys going around. You have to constantly think about what you’re doing at what time.”

Because the city is split into different districts, the developer is attempting to give each its own distinct flavour as well. Each area will feature different architecture – some will be affluent, some will be poor – different NPCs will walk the streets, and different cars will zoom by. If you listen to the sound of the city, you will even notice different languages appear more often in the various districts and the residents of each prefer different genres of music.

All of that adds to the ability to distinguish between each district,” Borzymowski explains. “We want the player to feel they’re in a district even without looking at their compass. It’s a big city, people tend nowadays to use GPS, but we’re building it in such a fashion that the player should always have a point of interest in sight so they can orient themselves. It’s not always a big building, sometimes it’s a hill or the mountains on one side, the sea on the other side.”

“It’s the city and there’s a certain degree of the outskirts of the city as well,” Borzymowski says. “We are not putting an invisible wall after the last building in the city because it would completely break immersion. The city is located on the West Coast in California, there is a desert, there might be something else, and we have the sea on the other side.”

On level design:

CD Projekt call Cyberpunk 2077 an RPG, but there’s more than a flash of the immersive sim to its design process.

“We want to make sure each situation is approachable in different ways for the many different builds the player might have,” Borzymowski says. “They have to be able to enter in any way, and they have to be able to complete it. This is certainly a challenge for us, but we are building level design around two things. We want to keep every location realistic – we don’t want to build big mazes that don’t feel right. An office space is an office space. On the other hand, we have to implement all the gameplay systems into them as well.”

CDPR is currently "printing" something (it start with a png header) on their twitch channel using base64 encoding.

Considering the speed, it's going to take a while before we got all the data (average image size on the official website would take about 10 hours)...and that's not talking about having to extract the data from the video to create the image.

Twitch? Just leave it to Chien and in the meantime play some games. ;)

Haha, nice geeky shenanigans. :D

There have been several people, on Twitter and journos, who clearly hinted something "big" for 2077 is happening today ( at 7PM or so?).

Anyway Jackfrags did a pretty good rundown on demo, usually not into SP, plays a lot of FPS ( compares it to F.E.A.R, Titanfall and Dishonored), really impressed by gameplay and the world:

Seems the game will have environment contextual takedowns ( at one point, V shoves unaware enemy's head under the sink filled with water and pulls the trigger, sort of Hitman style stealth execution)

CDPR are either lucky or planned this well in advance.

The gk_WIP line back at E3 xbox hacked presentation had TIME at 8s, %MEM at 27 and PID at 7.

Today is the 8/27 and there is something coming at 7PM their time (which means 30 minutes from now).

edit:
The base64 data transmission video changed to "Starting to upload..."

I'm laughing if they put a print to their server transfer data.

Reactions would be priceless if it shows up to be more concept art.
At this point, they absolutely have to show live gameplay ( to audience). And this probably would start official marketing campaign. Which they would have to handle extremely well, best scenario: game is at least a year away.

It's gameplay they showed to the press. Playing the female V.

Back
Top Bottom