RPG at istore

Dasale

SasqWatch
I was browsing the istore and cheked the RPG section, for ipad it's not too much a garbage, it's still awfully organized at depend of user. You can only choose a global section named RPG. In it it's a joyful garbage of MMO, DM tools, Spam of a same titles in multiple versions (usually those spams are one version per language to spam better the store, some are multiple offering of the same MMO for spaming as well the store).

Then I gave a look at iphone side, just an awful preview of what will be soon the ipad side. It's like I describe above but ten time worse. Can't anyone explain them the garbage it is and that's for confusing users? >:O

I also notice how perverse is the default istore behavior, it's a lot like DLC, for the small price you wonder why not give a try, but the default is rather perverse because they store once your buying information and then buying cheap stuff is just a click away.

Is their any other innocent that put their nose in it it like I did? I wonder if there's anything good in all this garbage!

To wade through the garbage, check iPhone RPG site to get a better idea of what is available and then check the forums here or TouchArcade.com for details.

The best way to avoid the "stuff is cheap and it's too easy to buy things - I won't be able to control myself" is to use a gift card.

Thanks that's a nice site, I wonder why I didn't found it by search before. Rather wel organized, dedicated to RPG and seems clear. Let hope on this base they'll know highlight the more interesting RPGs.

For the istore I quote the ipad version doesn't have as many option that the computer itune version, for example there isn't sub-categories like RPG. Anyway it's better to use a site like you quote, from people knowing the stuff.

For the shopping temptation well for now I tend using the ipad and it requests to enter the password for each buy. What I'd like to have is the list of buys I did and the total sum.

After few days of using the ipad I'd say it's an intriguing, attaching, captivating and very cool device. It's not a compter, it's not a portable computer, it's not a mini computer, it's not a console, it's not a handled, it's not an organizer, it's not a book… But it's mix of all, more a computer than a console is, more a console than a portable computer is, more a handled than a mini computer is, it's much more than an organizer, it's a better ebook than anything, it has the potential of being more than a book by being a library of books.

The only point not working well enough for my first tries is comics, it isn't a good ecomics from my short experience.

Edit: I need a bit more time, but I guess it will be the best toy I'll have in my whole life from 7 to 77 years old. :biggrin:

Edit2: in fact there's a sum of buy done and woops for the ton of stuff I got the sum is only about 25€ LOL

Last edited:
Hello - I created RPG-site so thank you for the kind words! I wanted it to be useful for the community as a reference. I set it up because as you mention the RPG category on the App Store is just dire. It would be *so easy* for Apple to improve it - siphon off all the Mobwar-upgrades and RPG accessories/reference guides to a different category ("add-ons"?) for example, but it's been over two years now and it's still a complete mess.

Because the site started as a list of good RPGs that I knew of, and then added only new RPGs and some older ones that people recommended, there may well be other good older RPGs that I've missed. So any suggestions or additions would be extremely welcome. I also confess quite honestly that I don't have time to play all the games I list, so I have to gather information for some of them from other sites and reviews. Therefore there may be errors and omissions which I am very keen to correct if anyone spots them.

My aim is to help existing RPG fans find other games, and encourage new players to try them. This is entirely selfish on my part: the more people that play RPGs, the more developers will make ;)

Cool thanks for the site, it's very helpful particularly because the istore isn't able to provide this service.

I'd prefer that it gets a path more critical and with review but that's a lot of job and I quote in short descriptions that there are opinions thrown on the discrete mode.

For missing RPG I quoted:
  • Doom 2 RPG : Very good Dungeon Crawler turn based with a story, I'm playing it now and got surprised by the quality.
  • Wolfenstein RPG (not tried yet).
  • Nethack HD : Yes the classical one, a version with graphics and controls adapted to the ipad, it's an ipad only game. I played it a little and it seems very well done, it's highly pleasant to play this version.
  • Nethack : Still based on the classical, for the iphone and different than previous one, I haven't tried it.

I noticed you listed Puzzle Quest, so in the same approach you could add games that are tactical RPG. Not purely strategy games but with a story developed and some character class management like skills/spells choices. In this point of view, I played a little some that seems quite good :
  • Highborn : Clearly influenced by old Heroes of Might & Magic but with a touch a bit more RPG. Your character has a class, the story is more developed (even if I regret a lot the humor approach).
  • Rogue Planet : It's a sort of mix of Battle Isles or A certain general with more RPG mood, mainly because it is much more story oriented.
  • Battle for Wesnoth: One more but an heavy focus on scenario gave it a RPG mood. It's a freeware on PC/Mac but not on the ipad.

Also another category I feel a lot RPG is the space exploration games, I quoted two:
  • Warpgate : Seems quite good and developed alas the fights are so poor, it's only a secondary point in the gameplay but still an important element and it's a real waste they have made it so poor, or there's something I didn't catch when trying the lite version.
  • Hyper Warp (not played, seems complicated but that's a good point for RPG like).

Back
Top Bottom