Risen 2 - Review @ RPG Codex

The review seemed convincing enough to me and since even its supporters won't offer a praise better than "it's not that bad", it seems to fit well in the 'safe to ignore' category.

I'd say it depends a lot on how much you like the setting. The scenery is stunning if you have a fast enough rig to crank up the settings, and they really nail the island/tropical atmosphere. The cinematics and presentation are also very high quality.

So melee combat is still broken in G3? I've recently started and already pumped some points into strength. So I should just focus on ranged or magic then?

It's not broken, but it's not very satisfying imo. You don't have to focus on one style in G3 though.

If you enjoy PB games, I'd say it would be a real pity to ignore Risen 2 completely. Definitely check it out in one way or the other - and for pity's sake, don't just rely on a Codex review. I mean, they're usually competent and thorough - but they also tend to be harsher than most people would be.

I didn't like first Risen at all , i have not played the second part but i have watched several let's play videos and it looks even worst .
They really made two "DLCs" that can be activated in vanilla game with a console command? EPIC FAIL

I love it when you get all frothing at the mouth…continue.

I always read "frosting" instead of "frothing", don't know why.

And it happens *every time* I read that word somewhere !

Now, what does this word originally mean ? *off to go looking it up at dict.leo.org*

Edit : Breaking News ! New Work By Shakespeare Found !
Said to be similar to "The Tempest" ! Entitled "The Froth" !

For all you good gentlemen who come up with 'lolololo codex review negative? unpossible!', I would like to point out that I was the same person who reviewed Risen 1, and I happened to give it a very positive write-up.

that's fine, everyone's entitled for their opinion. i think you've made your point, and so did we. shall we go on separate ways or do we HAVE to fight in order to be "together"?

reviews attempt to give an overview of how the general people would react so that people can rely on their opinion. your approach(if you are the writer of codex) was even better, since you didn't try flatter your audience. it's just that you can't beat the fans, especially if they've played it. i remember where people were incredibly frustrated about gothic 3 performance, like brutally. in the end, the machines got better and everyone was more happy. but it was about 3 years after the release. what's the connection? that risen 2 isn't nearly as frustrating as gothic 3 was, and it got much more praise.

For all you good gentlemen who come up with 'lolololo codex review negative? unpossible!'

/raises hand

I'm one of 'those people.'

My comments weren't so much directed at the author - the review was well written and I read the entire write up and did NOT consider it a waste of time. And I even agree with many of the criticisms.

It's just that the codex itself is a mean and nasty place. I wish it wasn't. I'd like to have another site besides RPGWatch to visit on a daily basis.

It's more than just negativity. It's constant 'swatting a fly with a sledgehammer.' Unnecessary roughness. A drop of dog poo in a gallon of your favorite ice cream… still tastes like dog poo. That kind of thing.

So I just sort of roll my eyes whenever anything negative comes out from the Codex and usually I just stay away. I know I know, don't let the door hit my ass on the way out…

Oh one last thing... late last year I thought the Codex shut down. Looks like it's back though... what changed?

Back
Top Bottom