Editorial - Chris Avellone: "Leave the Answer to the Player"

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
OneAngryGamer wrote an article defending Chris Avellone's opinion on politics in games.

The interview was published on May 31st, 2019, and when asked about whether stories can be apolitical, Avellone stated...

"They may become political as societal norms change, but I believe it's possible to do apolitical games. I also don't condone developers who want to do political games or make a statement - I think a game is served better by asking a question, provide a range of perspectives on the question, but then leaving the answer to the player. I try to frame any politics in the parameters of the world, the lore, and the franchise.

"The reason I take this approach is because I view games as entertainment. If you're purposely pushing an agenda or point of view in your game - especially a real-world one that's clearly divorced from the game world - and you're dictating that perspective as correct vs. asking a question or examining the perspective more broadly, then it's left the gaming realm and the 'game' has become a pulpit."
[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Oh my someone shared an One Angry Gamer article.

i-just-came-here-to-read-the-comments-popcorn-meme.png

Can't wait for the usual replies.

One of the reasons I don't call myself an MCA fanboy anymore...

As long as you don't consider games a form of art you can understand them as apolitical. But what does that mean exactly? In the long run they function affermative for the status quo, which means they are somewhere in the range between structural conservative and reactionary.

If you consider games art, these views are not an option and games have to be political and have to push some agenda, calling the status quo into question. This is the difference between the "cultural industry" and "culture" as was described 1944 by Horkheimer/Adorno in "Dialectic of the Enlightenment" .

If you consider games art, these views are not an option and games have to be political

So every art is about modern politics? If its not political then its not art?
:) Funny idea. And so many ppl over the world think that politics is dirty and vulgar and hypocritical and fraud etc. while its the only art in the world according to some ppl. :)

and have to push some agenda

No, you are wrong again. Are you repeating what you read from some activists?
You would do better to read again what Avellone said. I think its clear:

If you're purposely pushing an agenda or point of view in your game - especially a real-world one that's clearly divorced from the game world - and you're dictating that perspective as correct vs. asking a question or examining the perspective more broadly,

TBH, I don't give a frog's green fart what Chris Avellone and OneAngryGamer think about anything.

Apart from the author who has a political axe to grind, and Avellone's critics who also have axes to grind, I think that Avellone's strategy of asking a question which the player has to answer with a wide range of possibilities is a good one. Whether anyone can make a game that is non-political is another question entirely. For example the article's authors criticizes games with transsexuals. There are indeed transsexuals in our world so is including or excluding them political? What about religious people, atheists, old people, young people, people of various skin colour, men, women et. If I was making a game I'd try not to preach to people, in any case. I don't think that usually goes over well.

Some could call that chickening out of having your own strong opinion. ;)
( In art/games) this usually leads to bland, unprovocative experience.
Don't really agree with political/social commentary of games like Bioshock, but I doubt it would be half as interesting if writers/creative director didn't want to say a strong message.

FLAWED PREMISES
1 games are art
2 art = aesthetics / quality and utility
utility breaks into - stimulation / growth of some attribute.
and context - politics.
a complete art form is one that provides on all levels, of course there will be polirizing results the more layers it has, also it doesnt mean its not art if one is missing
cutting out context , moving to other galaxy, art will be only measured by aeshtetics, but here and now, theres context. and its a shame not to use this vessel if you have something to say

and you're dictating that perspective as correct vs. asking a question or examining the perspective more broadly,

Lol, like his perspective on Obsidian's management?

right, just that im on the other side of the fence. the political message of bioshock was disgusting to me as it stands on the other faction ). didnt like the mechanics and level deisgn anyway

He's just expressing himself clumsily.

Of course didactic stories are usually stupid.

Of course all stories have a moral and political point of view.

What was the political statement of bioshock?

Hubris & drugs ruin everything in the end.:biggrin:

The last game though well it was different.

Avellone is right on here. No, we don't need SJWs ruining more video games with their stupid pseudo-moralizing and holier-than-thou posturing. It's pretty simple, if I see a game and it has more than a whiff of SJWism being featured, it goes to the "must not buy" list.

But that said, not a fan of "MCA". I dunno, but something about the Avellone ever-present fanboy-ism really annoys me. I shouldn't blame Chris Avellone for it, but, I kinda do anyway. :biggrin:

Wasn't it supposed to be a parody of the cult of Atn Rand?

Yes, that was the idea. Complaining about that one seems a bit daft, since she famously popularlised her "philosophy" by writing god-awful novels.

Back
Top Bottom