General News - New Harry Potter RPG?

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
TweakTown reports that an Harry Potter RPG maybe on its way.

A new job listing for Avalanche Software seeks a lighting wizard for a "soon to be announced AAA title," and it's probably that new Harry Potter game.

According to a job listing filed just yesterday, WB Games is gearing up for a big game reveal. Since it's Avalanche's game, we expect it to be the new Wizarding World RPG. "Avalanche Software, a WB Games studio, seeks a Lighting Technical Artist to work closely with a talented group of artists and engineers on an exciting, soon to be announced AAA title," reads the listing.

[...]
More information.

The Harry Potter RPG would feature chaotic spellcasting with deep RPG progression, character classes, mature themes like death and harrowing cinematic sequences, expansive exploration across everyone's favorite school of magic, and even boss fights. The studio wants to bring more depth to the Harry Potter interactive experience by infusing big industry archetypes befit of a BioWare game.​

I would be very interested, Iv'e always wanted a muture, deep RPG in a Harry Potter setting.

This is kind of hilarious. This setting got 3 votes out of 77 in a recent RPGWatch poll and came in next to last place as far as a setting preference. OTOH, there are a lot of RPG tropes like factions, personalities, spells, monsters, wizards and boss monsters that could make for a good game.

It all depends upon whether they are trying to make a great game, or some sort of merchandising vehicle before the next movie. I'm okay with waiting, I got a ton of games to play and real games to look forward to (Cyperpunk, Elex 2, next elder scroll).

For WB games mostly the batman series come to mind (but I see hitman and middle-earth franchise is also theirs), so I looked up Avalanche studios: Just cause, Mad max. Rage 2, ...

Max max might contain the most RPG elements and I liked it, but still far from a RPG. I'm not opposed, curious how it will work out. They do seem to be tackling more ambitious games over time. If we can romance teachers (or students if that's your thing) they are halfway there.

If we can romance teachers (or students if that's your thing) they are halfway there.

I hope that's not any of our members thing.

As for the game, I'm taking a wait and see approach. I like most of what I hear but chaotic spell casting doesn't sound all that appealing.

Warner.
The most polished game ever incoming.
If we can romance teachers (or students if that's your thing) they are halfway there.
Monster dating sim or no buy!

Back
Top Bottom