Dead Space 2..... 1/25/11

Most of the Resident Evil games were only about 7-8 hours for the original playthrough, and could be finished in 4-5 hours on a replay. RE4 was a lot longer though, and I still haven't played RE5 yet.

I guess you`re right. Perhaps 10 hours is not so bad…but then I hardly ever buy games at full price (think I got 1st DS for about 12 pounds). So it stings less.

RE4 was a GOTY for me when it came out, despite few niggles. RE5 on the other hand- biggest disappointment of the year.

RE4 was a GOTY for me when it came out, despite few niggles. RE5 on the other hand- biggest disappointment of the year.

RE4 is probably my all time favorite console game. Before that, it was RE: Code Veronica.

What did you dislike so much about RE5? I have the PC version, but I've only tried it out a bit, not enough to form an opinion. I was planning on buying the PS3 Gold Edition in the near future.

After RE4 my expectations were sky-high. I was sure that at worst it`s gonna be more of the same - but in HD!

Played on 360, and after initial wow!graphics! factor wore out I was left with a tedious TPP shooter. Corridors everywhere, broad daylight, low on atmosphere, biggest (only) puzzle = how to manage that blasted inventory. Annoying (no surprises here) sidekick.

Maybe that`s bit harsh…but RE4 was rather special. Also - that convoluted control scheme…if not for that I`d probably finish the game. Still, you might have fun with it.

All this talk now made me yearn for Gamecube`s remake of the 1st one :) Best rendered environments - ever.

I stick by my claim that 8 - 10 hours is too short.

Did anyone play Cryostasis? That was a good game, but it also taught me to be more careful when buying these kinds of games. It ended way too fast. I may be a bit spoiled since I grew up with epic length games and rpgs tend to be a bit longer than other types of games, but if I can finish a game in a day or two then it is not worth paying full price.

They need to add more content or drop the price.

Start comparing this game to System Shock and not Resident Evil. Half of the time spent with Resident Evil is reloading to save points. That extended the game tremendously. It also made it tedious.

Did anyone play Cryostasis?

Yeah…it sucked, and length had nothing to do with that.

Start comparing this game to System Shock and not Resident Evil. Half of the time spent with Resident Evil is reloading to save points. That extended the game tremendously. It also made it tedious.

To each his own. :)

You're nuts. That was a great game. The only thing it needed was a few more hours. The dang thing ended way too fast.

Edit: I've only played RE 4 and 5. I loved 4 and got bored with 5. Still 4 was awesome.

Doesn't change the fact that half the time spent was reloading to a previous save point.

RE series is not really a good comparison to this one even though they are both horror/survival games. System Shock, Cryostasis, hell even Bioshock and FEAR are a better comparison in terms of gameplay.

RE is in a class all unto itself with the unique gameplay style.

I don't know how you come to the conclusion that a bunch of first-person shooters are a better comparison in terms of gameplay. For me, the type of camera view, as well as the control scheme, have a huge impact in that regard.

Regarding Cryostasis - It really only had one thing going for it, and that was the "cold" gimmick. There was nothing that stood out to me about the game, and towards the end I remember just wanting to finish it so I could move on to something else.

Semantics, personal taste, etc.

Sorry JDR I really don't have the energy to debate this though you do have some valid points and I would have some valid reasons as to why your wrong ;) Real life comes calling and it's a fucking bitch sometimes. Check that, real life is always a bitch. What I would give to be one of those poor schmucks stuck in VR in the Matrix.

Damn…I was really looking forward to you trying to explain how FEAR is a better comparison to Dead Space than Resident Evil. ;)jk

Witnessed a few hours of this being played…

Railroad corridor shooter with action-setpieces galore.

I was shocked to find that you had a female voice speaking to you, and directing you towards her position.

I wonder if they could make it anymore predictable if they tried :)

However, it looks great even with the lowres textures - and if you're into the linear explosion design - it ought to be great fun. Lighting is done particularly well, and it's really a great mood piece. I was longing for an opportunity to explore the areas with such great atmosphere, but such moments seemed even rarer than in the first game.

Also, it seemed to be less about horror, and more about action.

Sort of like the move from Alien to Aliens - speaking strictly in terms of the pace.

Not for me, but I think it will be a hit with DS fans. Even if it's not, EA marketing will make sure it is anyway. As I was going to work today, I saw giant Dead Space 2 posters on our Danish buses! That's pretty rare for a game here :)

I was shocked to find that you had a female voice speaking to you, and directing you towards her position.

I`m getting really tired of this device. I wouldn`t mind if it was sort of less constant and nagging - but in the first one that black dude really started getting on my nerves. Go there, switch this, backtrack here, switch that…why don`t you go and bloody do it yourself, eh? Also place is crawling with alien horrors - but him and the chick are somehow left at peace.

But ok…sod him. That Ryan dude from Bioshock…boy when I`ll finally get to him I sure as hell will unload some electric buckshot up his nagging ass :) At least these in DS sort of knew you before - this random fellow gets in your ear the moment you survived a plane crash & entered a bizarre underwater city, sending you on a tour of it`s most dangerous parts. Hello! Can I have a moment of peace here or something?

EDIT: Ryan? What Ryan? I meant Atlas of course...boy, my memory`s gone :)

Last edited:
It was cool in System Shock with that girl you never get to meet - and System Shock 2 carried it forward a little with the big twist, but maybe it's time to think up something new :)

I played RE4 in hopes of playing a horror game, which probably explains my disappointment with it. I actually played the other games after that, and still I enjoyed RE0 and the RE1 remake so much more. When RE5 came I was such a fanboi, so the premise of playing familiar faces drew me into it.

I liked Dead Space. I found it to be a game from a dying genré. I am disappointed that the other games implemented the 2-player mechanic that simply doesn't fit a horror game for me. Horror games should be played alone.

I'm pretty sure it's not that simple. :)

I think I already have a good idea of what that female voice is about, and it's not as straightforward as some people would believe.

Still, I'm starting to get the impression that DS2 is more about pure action than Dead Space was, and I'm definitely going to to lower my expectations before I play it.

*Edit* Damn, JemyM had to wedge his little post in there first. ;)

Last edited:
Silent Hill 5 was more of an actiongame than it's prequels. RE4 and 5 was more of actiongames than it's prequels. F.E.A.R. 3 is now about playing alongside a friend.

Dead Space was different. It dared to say that no, the horror genré is alive and cool, if you put some effort into making them. If it's true that DS2 is more action oriented now, then it seems like it went the same direction. It's sad that everyone want to make the same game over and over again.

As I said, it was just from 3-4 hours of watching one of my friends playing. He's a big fan, so he loved it.

I have no idea if the woman turns into a twist or whatever - I'm just talking about the device of "waking up" without knowing what's going on - and then having a person guide you towards him/her. It was a cliché in Bioshock and it's a cliché now.

But it's no big deal - and if you like the gameplay, it shouldn't matter much.

I don't think DS fans have much to worry about. I didn't find the original particularly slow-paced either, but a bit more creepy and suspenseful. But the core gameplay seems to be very much intact.

I'm sure reviews around the net can give more insight.

While I certainly wouldn't call the first game slow paced, most areas had a sufficient amount of tension throughout.

There were enough times where you wouldn't encounter anything for awhile as the suspense built up. The game also had excellent ambient soundFX that added to those moments of tension. In general, I thought the pacing was pretty good.

I'm not too worried about the setup in DS2. Just about anything nowadays is going to be perceived as cliche in some way. It's the pacing, or possible lack thereof, that I'm more worried about.

Back
Top Bottom