Do you abstain from paying $60 for PC games?

If i like the game i don't care about the price , of course someone would ask how i know if i am going to like the game , the answer is that all the games i have bought from Paradox & Egosoft are fantastic .
Also no DRM , i 'd pay extra for no DRM game any day.

I never buy a game for 60$
This is a statement from game company : "We are better than everyone else,and we dont care about our price. Anything we charge sheeple will pay"

If they make a good hardcore pc rpg, i wouldnt mind paying $100 for it.

If it's a new game I really want, price is irrelevant to me. If it's a game I'm only slightly interested in, I'll wait for a bargain. For example I end up buying quite a few games on gog.com that I probably won't even play anytime soon, simply because they're dirt cheap. Who knows, maybe I'll feel like playing them at some point?

I never buy a game for 60$
This is a statement from game company : "We are better than everyone else,and we dont care about our price. Anything we charge sheeple will pay"

I think that's more how you see it then what is actually the case.

I play so few games now that by the time I pick them up it is generally the fully patched version with all expansions/DLC GoTY types. I used to trade a decent amount of games for the 360 on Craigslist which went alot better than I thought it would.

I think I paid $50 for Fallout 3 but then I traded it for Fable 2 then Gears of War 2 then that Star Wars game then 2 older games I can't remember the name of.

I did pay $40 for Fallout: New Vegas but got tired of it once I hit New Vegas. I need to get back to it one day.

I think that's more how you see it then what is actually the case.

No, not necessarily.

Companies might well be aware of the buzz one of their products creates.

But then - after several months it will show whether people are actually willing to pay that price or not.

There were a lot of games in the old days that were more than $50. Pretty much any game with FMV was more expensive when CD gaming started. I was looking through my box for Under a Killing Moon the other day and noticed a catalog inside which shows it as costing $79.99. A lot of SNES games, especially RPGs, were $70 or more. Blizzard and id have been charging $60 for a while now, before the Xbox 360 even came out.

So… $60 is not some shock to me.

Are you in the US? I don't remember paying anywhere near $70 for any of my SNES games.

Are you in the US? I don't remember paying anywhere near $70 for any of my SNES games.

Are you sure? I definitely remember some of them being $59.99, which ends up being almost $64 after tax.

It's weird that some SNES games were that much though. I don't recall any PS1 games being more than $49.99, and that was a generation later.

Are you sure? I definitely remember some of them being $59.99, which ends up being almost $64 after tax.

It's weird that some SNES games were that much though. I don't recall any PS1 games being more than $49.99, and that was a generation later.

Actually I think I do remember $59.99 games. I think I just didn't buy many SNES games (where as I bought tons of NES games), as I was more into PC gaming at the time the SNES came out (high school for me).

Given how broke I was back then, the difference in PC game prices vs SNES prices could have been the driving factor!

TG-16, my last console oh so many years ago, also had $60 games.

However, the issue for me is that console game publishers pay a $10 licensing fee for every game sold on a console platform. PC games do NOT have this surcharge. So why are PC gamers charged, in the case of DA2, the same as their console flunkies?

If you're going to cite inflation as to why a PC game is $60 rather than $50, then its console counterpart should be $70.

I think a lot of it is driven by personal economics. When I was younger, $40 was an expense that I had to figure into my budget, and I had to pick and choose what games to buy. Now that I'm older and a DINK (dual-income no kids), $60 is really nothing and I'll spend it on a whim. I start to think about costs when things approach $200 bucks. For instance, I'll get a game for $50-60 at Best Buy, anytime the mood strikes me, but I've been waiting for this nice little keyboard that's a little over $200 for a year :)

Yes, I am in the US. Games like Shadowrun, Crono Trigger and Final Fantasy III were certainly $70 or more. Zelda on the N64 was $80 when it came out I believe. This was because huge cartridge storage was very expensive.

It was the Playstation era that started the whole "everything is $50" trend, since CDs were so cheap.

No, not necessarily.

Companies might well be aware of the buzz one of their products creates.

But then - after several months it will show whether people are actually willing to pay that price or not.

It's definitely dependent on what consumers accept (and they have fully accepted the $60 price point), this is true. What I was more meaning was there are reasons for the cost of games to go up. Not just inflation, but also the costs of development have risen dramatically.

It's not like they just felt like charging more and people were stupid enough to accept it. There are reasons for games to cost $10 more in 2011 than they did in 1985 or whatever.

It's definitely dependent on what consumers accept (and they have fully accepted the $60 price point), this is true.

I certainly haven't. forgetting for a moment that console and PC games should not cost the same, I demand a large game for my dollar and most titles these days don't deliver.

I certainly haven't. forgetting for a moment that console and PC games should not cost the same, I demand a large game for my dollar and most titles these days don't deliver.

When I say consumers have accepted it I obviously mean the majority of them. There will always be people who think something costs too much… a lot of people never bought games for $50 either.

In any event Starcraft 2 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 both had a $60 price and sold millions on the PC, ending up two of the most successful PC releases in the last year or so. The war is over.

Being a PC (ok, more Apple ][) gamer in the 80's I didn't see those prices, but remember buying SNES and Genesis games for my brother-in-law and spending $60 ... insane ...

On topic, I am being much more careful about buying new top-priced games - not so much for the money as for the fact too often I haven't touched a game before I see it for 20% or more off ...

Being a PC (ok, more Apple ][) gamer in the 80's I didn't see those prices, but remember buying SNES and Genesis games for my brother-in-law and spending $60 … insane …

On topic, I am being much more careful about buying new top-priced games - not so much for the money as for the fact too often I haven't touched a game before I see it for 20% or more off …

I never had the SNES when it was new, but I remember my mom paying $79.99 for Sonic the Hedgehog 3 when it came out. IMO, it was worth it, because I played it so much that my Genesis died, and then some more with a new (used) Genesis. I have the GCN collection now, but still have that cart, and it still works. The third Genesis... not so well. It locks up after about 15-20mins (on any game, not just Sonic). :( So unlike my Commodore 64, which just works, period.

Basically, the only console games that I've had hold up for me have been the Mega Man and Sonic the Hedgehog titles... and Sonic hasn't been particularly good since going 3D. Adventure 1 and 2 would have been decent, had they been playtested at all before release. Falling through floors randomly tends to put a damper on my enjoyment of a game. Past those, they suck.

I have no issue paying for a good game. Stuff that has given me, literally, years of enjoyment has been well worth the cost. I have nearly every game I've ever owned, basically lacking only working C64 disks and some early 5.25" floppy stuff that I don't recall, and I still break out stuff in DOSBox and what I can find for the C64 emulator, I'd say most of my stuff has paid for themselves.

I won't pay for a game that's saddled with a DRM virus, period. I shop elsewhere. Hence buying indies and GoG titles. I'm actually going to buy Witcher 2, not because I ever played the first one or expect to like it, but because the GoG version has no virus embedded in it.

Back
Top Bottom