No Man's Sky - Beyond

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭&#12004
VR support among other things.

https://www.nomanssky.com/2019/03/no-mans-sky-beyond-vr/

I sold my Rift like a year ago, got the PS4 one which is pretty decent for the price. Probably gonna save up for another VR set for PC now. Seems like a quite a few are coming out in the coming months.
It's too bad none (?) of them seems to have upped the FOV that much though, the one thing i didn't like with Rift (resolution i found more acceptable than the low FOV)

I've still got my Oculus but I never got the hand controls. It's really not so easy to use without those.

Have you thought about HTC Vive? It's a bit pricy, but I've tried it at a convention and to me it seemed better than any other they had there.

I just installed NMS today and started playing it. Any tips or things I should know to get the maximum enjoyment?

Have you thought about HTC Vive? It's a bit pricy, but I've tried it at a convention and to me it seemed better than any other they had there.
Thought about, yes, but I really haven't got the space in my PC room for moving around like that. There's some new ones coming out soon with higher resolution that I'll need to look at.

I just installed NMS today and started playing it. Any tips or things I should know to get the maximum enjoyment?
I don't think I can - they keep changing the game around! I've already gotten two games' worth of enjoyment out of the thing. I popped in after the last big update in November and lots of things had changed around yet again!

Does anyone know if the Beyond update is going to require players to start a new game?

I don't like how they're not revealing everything planned for the update. I've read that it's adding three significant things. VR support and new multiplayer features are two of the three, but they're being mum about the third. I'd like to know what it is because I might decide to wait for it.

I'd love to see them add some kind of mapping system. That's one thing it really needs imo.

Last edited:
A map sounds tricky, actually. Space is big. Really big. Even one single small moon would be a huge map. Though maybe a nearby area map would work - like the surrounding 50km^2.

They've never required an actual restart of the whole game before. They do sometimes reset the universe itself so, when the patch hits, the planet you're on can go from nice to nasty. The November patch wiped out my base, too, but it just wiped it back into its components so I didn't really lose anything. I just have to glue it all back together again on some other planet.

Hmmm, actually I just looked and a lot of things have become "obsolete technology" that I can recycle into new components. Looks like I have some work to do.

Oh, I know a big help and I think it still works. If you run forward, do a melee attack (q?), and jump just as you do it, you'll fly forward about twice as fast as you can run. It was a bug on opening day that they seem to have left intact.

A map sounds tricky, actually. Space is big. Really big. Even one single small moon would be a huge map. Though maybe a nearby area map would work - like the surrounding 50km^2.

Yeah, that's probably asking for too much. I didn't realize how big the planets actually were at first. Once you leave something and get a considerable distance from it, it's damn near impossible to find again.

I know you can place beacons, but I haven't figured out that part yet.

Oh, I know a big help and I think it still works. If you run forward, do a melee attack (q?), and jump just as you do it, you'll fly forward about twice as fast as you can run. It was a bug on opening day that they seem to have left intact.

I might have to give that a try. You sure do a lot of running in this game. I saw an upgrade that will allow me to sprint and use the jetpack longer, but I apparently need a higher reputation with the Vy'keen before I can purchase it.

I'd love maps for planets at least..

@Zloth; the controlls are actually the best part of Oculus imo, they're really fantastic.

I'm looking into Primax.. what i don't like with either Vive or Oculus is the very low FOV, i want it to be considerably better.

I'm curious - i presume the planets are procedurally generated - how is the quality of the machine generated planets ?

It shows, they are generic and a bit samey after you have seen a few of them. It has gotten better though, even seas can now be explored, and i haven't even tested the latest updates, so maybe its slightly better nowadays. I know there has also been mods to adress the issue.

It will never be like exploring a hand crafted world though, for example each planet has a specific biome, so it's either jungle or sand or lava etc, not a mix (that would be way more interesting).

I'm curious - i presume the planets are procedurally generated - how is the quality of the machine generated planets ?

You would be hard-pressed to be able to tell the planets are procedurally generated. At least from what I've seen so far, but I'm still very early in the game. I'm actually very impressed with the system they created for this game.

It's easy to tell that the more minor random quests are generated though.

*Edit* vurt beat me to the punch. Well, he's played a lot more than I have, so I assume I'll probably have a similar opinion after I've seen a few more planets.

Yeah, you'll start to recognize skeletons and parts. Some are pretty rare, though, so you may think you've seen it all when suddenly up pops something you've never seen.

It's the sheer space that's stunning to me. The planets may be "samey" but they're still huge. You could drop 50 people at random spots on a planet, give them buggies that don't run out of fuel, and let them buzz around wherever they want for a mighty long time and they would never see each other.

After 31 hours, I'm only just leaving the starting system for the first time. I can see why people have massive amounts of time in this game.

Oh, and the Sentinels have already replaced Cliff Racers as the all-time most annoying things in a game for me.

Is there any way to relocate a sidequest location you didn't mark other than luck?

I was at a location where I needed to collect 3 artifact keys to open some kind of treasue, but I got chased away by Sentinels, and now I can't find it because there's no marker even when selecting that quest in my log.

I've set a coffee…errr… date? Not quite...
Tomorrow will meet over a coffee with a friend who plays it (and is nagging me constantly to start playing it myself, yea, although installed I don't have time for it yet), will ask him about that.

Well here's what he says.
Ancient keys aren't unique thus it doesn't matter where you find them. The quest says get three, once you find three of those from any planet a lock to open it with those will appear.

I doubt I'll be returning to that planet, but thanks anyways. There is certainly no shortage of optional quests in this game. :)

Back
Top Bottom