XCOM: Chimera Squad - Release Date: April 24

Uh, I'm not disputing that it is a knock off. I am disputing this comment:

Again, where is the evidence that "spinoffs more often than not" hurt a franchise?
For every one that I can think of hurting a franchise, I can think of one that helped or didn't hurt.

Maybe about 50/50 then. The old X-Com sequels back in the day didn't help. Also Descent sequels and spinoffs, Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, Ultima 8 and 9, Wizardry: Nemesis, Pac Man, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Neverwinter Nights, SW:Kot(O)R, some Might and Magic sequels and spinoffs, and The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, etc.

If they don't kill a franchise completely they can hurt future potential with buyers far less interested in the next product - if only because their expectations were too high.

Maybe about 50/50 then. The old X-Com sequels back in the day didn't help. Also Descent sequels and spinoffs, Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, Ultima 8 and 9, Wizardry: Nemesis, Pac Man, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Neverwinter Nights, SW:Kot(O)R, some Might and Magic sequels and spinoffs, and The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, etc.

If they don't kill a franchise completely they can hurt future potential with buyers far less interested in the next product - if only because their expectations were too high.

Well, arguably some of these aren't even spinoffs. And you could say that a normal successor which is done in a bad way, can kill a frenchise just as well.

Afaik, no, but Xcom 2 has them, so it's not a random thing to say.

I was just wondering where did he get that from. Because I don't like timers in TB games as well. I have beat xcom2 twice now and I don't remember timers. Where was it?

If it's designed as irritating doomsday clock ticking to put up a pressure on a player, feeling like a job deadline instead of a fun videogame, I don't want such product on my PC.

Fair enough.

Watch the steam vid. There is a talk about so called "level of unrest" without revealing a detail how exactly does it rise towards the critical amount - by realtime timer, by ignoring, failing or abandoning missions or by something else for example RNG whatnot.

Well, I wouldn't consider that a timer… Pressure for sure, but not a timer.

Still haven't finished XCOM 2. Anyway I'll wait for reviews/watcher opionins.

Did you mod them out and forget they existed? Timers were all over the game. You have a limited number of turns to finish almost every mission.

And that's also just one of the results of the two action system. ^^
It just needs an endless amount of crutches to work in a "decent" way. Ofc you could mod them out, but then balance strikes at another end.
Just some Consequences of the 2 actions system:
-Simplified cover system
-Simplified hit calculations
-Simplified interrupt system
-Enemy extra reactions/moves
-Limited amount of turns so you cannot fully nullify the impact of enemy extra moves and the simplified interrupt system, keeping everyone behind simplified covers ^^

I've read elsewhere the campaign is about 20 hours in length.

Thanks! That sounds pretty decent, if small compared to the 2 main games.

Considering the way I play, I should easily stretch that out to 35-45 hrs, assuming there is no "infamous" doomsday clock pushing you onwards towards the end credits against your will, that is. ;)

Again, where is the evidence that "spinoffs more often than not" hurt a franchise?
For every one that I can think of hurting a franchise, I can think of one that helped or didn't hurt.
Recent example?
VC Revolution is such a trash that hurt the franchise so much resulting in poor sales of VC4 - which is a masterpiece.
I feel like in the PC world there are not that many spinoffs to begin with, at least if you exclude console and mobile spinoffs.
This. The issue is mainly connected to consoles and phones where publishers tend to cheapen and lower the quality of a product as much as they can.

Did you mod them out and forget they existed? Timers were all over the game. You have a limited number of turns to finish almost every mission.

I didn't mod them out. I think I forgot. Because I probably didn't pay attention to it since it didn't bother me. But you know, I wouldn't consider the limited number of turns as a timer. It's just another game obstacle for you to plan your turns efficiently. Because you don't have a time limit to think in your turn, you just have a limited number of turns. Furthermore, if I remember correctly xcom enemy unknown also had missions with limited number of turns…

Holy Crap Firaxis managed to Degenerate the XCOM Franchise to breathtaking LOWS. Combat looks like someone vomited then shat on the 3D maps. No art direction anymore, models are badly designed and look like done by imbeciles. Anything COOL and AMAZING looking was taken from the game. This looks like how Bioware massacred the fantastic Mass-Effect 1-3 series with absolutely Ugly Repulsive Andromeda.

WOW!! I didn't expect this toxic trainwreck to turn out to be this junk, since we worked on XCOM2 in 2016. :((

A V O I D W A R E!!

Just so people don't misunderstand the thumbup.
I don't agree, but I can feel that passion.

He must work in human ressources :lol:

Last edited:
I actually don't mind the concept, and XCOM is my all-time favorite series …but that aside, from the gameplay I've seen, I don't think it's for me. It's basically a SWAT-assault playstyle where all your troops crash into a building and are immediately put into "oh shit" situations as you trip the mob.

It seems less tactical and more a matter of target triage. I'll probably buy it, but from what I've seen, I don't anticipate a lot of replay from me.

It is going to be streamed and will give a reference point to Phoenix Point.

Looks quite undetermined, players are given tons of options to make up anything going on.

Which is an issue when taking the road of pre determined characters.

As to the trailer, it refers to things that do not exist in the product.

They might have taken a fire emblem path though with the relationship stuff between characters.

Back
Top Bottom