Caster of Magic - Windows Edition coming soon

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
An enhanced edition / DLC for the classic strategy title Master of Magic called Caster of Magic will be released soon on Steam:

Caster of Magic for Windows is coming soon.

It is an upgraded edition of a classic which allows you to run it natively on Windows for the first time.
A new edition of Caster of Magic is coming soon.

Caster of Magic for WIndows is an upgraded edition of Caster of Magic which allows you to run it natively on Windows for the first time, as well as supporting higher screen resolutions.

It also contains countless improvements for Caster of Magic, including new spells, game options, UI and AI improvements. It is the ultimate edition of Master of Magic, brought by the fans to the modern era.

NEW FEATURES IN CASTER OF MAGIC FOR WINDOWS

- Runs natively in Windows
- Freely resizeable game window, not locked to any specific aspect ratio
- Up to 13 enemy wizards
- Variable map size
- Additional game modes/options
- 21 new spells
- Improved UI and production queue system
- Improved AI
- Seamless, procedurally generated terrain
- Improved item creation, new item powers
- More diplomacy messages which now all depend on the AI's personality

We're currently looking for beta testers to help us test Caster of Magic for Windows, so if you're willing to help us out you can sign up here.

About the developer:

Caster of Magic started out as a mod, championed by Seravy and building on top of the already popular community patch. Caster of Magic has been a fan favorite of the Master of Magic community and we are pleased to be able to work with Seravy to officially integrate Caster of Magic, giving him the recognition he deserves.
Thanks Henriquejr!

More information.

Ohhhh my favourite strategic game of all time is finally coming.
Let's see if i can beta it

Wishlisted. Apparently I already had "Caster of Magic" in my Steam library? Hmm. I'll have to figure out the details here later.

Wishlisted. Apparently I already had "Caster of Magic" in my Steam library? Hmm. I'll have to figure out the details here later.

I had one in GOG but the graphics were horrible and didnt scale to normal 16:10 and 16:9 screens.

Wish they would actually remake the whole game in a new engine.:(

I've not played this one in years, and I'll certainly pony up some coin for an updated version, assuming no online shenanigans are required.

Can anyone recommend similar modern games?

I already played Sorcerer King & Fallen Enchantress.

For me, Fallen Enchantress is really the only game that has great depth and systems to explore - and inspite of some of its bugs and jankiness - is a great 4x fantasy game that one get can lost in like MoM.

Alas, while there seem to be loads of sci-fi games that do this, it seems in recent years there are too few fantasy-themed ones... and the ones that do exist are just too poorly executed in some respect for my tastes. I don't need AAA, but something like Dominions just doesn't do it for me.

AoW 3 was pretty good if we go back a few years but I always felt it was just a bit too thin on the strategic layer.

There is a promising game on Steam called The Mystic.

Link - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1196030/The_Mystic/

I remember two other games called Warlock 1&2 in the past as well.

The Mystic looks like its worth keeping an eye on - cool!

As to Warlock, the first one (Warlock: Master of the Arcane) is actually a pretty decent game. It isn't super deep but it is pretty satisfying. Definitely worth picking up, especially if you wait for a sale. I put about 80 hours into it.

The second wasn't so good. Not bad - just not as good as the first.

I would say AoW Planetfall has come closest for me out of the games released somewhat recently. My top spot goes to Endless Legends though, of you haven't played it you're in for a treat.

Insta-buy! ;) I can't even remember how many hundreds of hours I devoted to this game in the late 90s/early 2000s.

I have tried many other similar titles since (AoW-series, Warlock 1&2, Fallen Enchantress, Eador, Worlds of Magic/Planar Conquest) but none really gave me the same enjoyment that this one did.

They finally made Fallen Enchantress into a fine game, though the diplomacy still isn't great and you can stack-of-doom it up a bit, though there are limits. It's my favorite currently.

I'd stand in line for UI improvements to MoM. I'm cool with the graphics, as is. We'll see which is my favorite after trying out this UI, which is a real pain for me in the existing game.

Thanks for the heads up about The Mystic, one to check again in a year or so.

Wait, can someone clear this up for me... will this version run in Windows?

Heh, I think in this case it's a fair designation, as I believe the existing version of the game runs in a DOS shell. Although, now that I think about it, I believe this is being sold as DLC on top of the original game, so hmmm...

Good news!
Yes I have played all the above mentioned fantasy strategy games. All mostly good to one degree or another. AoW3 I think is closest to being the most fun, although endless legends is a close second. Still I still play / favour MoM / CoM even now. (thanks dosbox!!)

They released a game called worlds of magic / Planar conquest a while ago, that had great potential, but they flopped it!! I still hope that they will release the code or sell it to someone else to make that into the best MoM clone. It had great potential, but bugs, poor AI, and the lack of follow-up made if flop!

Mystic looks interesting! Anyone had early thoughts on it?

I told Seravy after he showed us some prototype screens, that COM & COM2 will need an art director / graphics artist, in order to properly re-assemble or create the new enhanced UI, which has now more of everything. More wizards, more place on screen needed, bigger maps, bigger visible areas. All nice on the idea level, but the original Simtex team were highly skilled professionals. They prepared the original UI and the sprites perfectly for public consumption.

Caster of Magic - Seravy sliced & diced the original art like it was a paperclip school project. It looks as it badly needs multiple artists.

Anybody who is free can jump on the project.

Back
Top Bottom