Encased - Patch 2

Redglyph

proud GASP member
Dark Crystal Games have uploaded the expected update, but it does not only contain the event, there are fixes and improvements as well.

Patch 2: a number of bugfixes and the Horrors of the Dome

b22cb0361801bd1422ee59a8a4445698171560cc.png

This October turned out very stressful - as we finished work on the latest patch and sat back to relax, a new one was on its way. This time we fixed many bugs and added a special event in honor of All Saints' Day: the Barrens are now overrun with pumpkin-headed skeletons, and a special merchant was sighted in the City. But, first things first.

Special Event

Sylvia Halen, a promising scientist from the mysterious White Swan station, is on the hunt for the Cursed Seeds - the little-studied relics that can be obtained from the bodies of dead employees. Sylvia does not skimp on rewards: in addition to various chemicals, she will offer the player a unique artifact. The following awaits you in the Halloween event:

• Temporary redesign of old enemies (Skeletons),
  • A new relic,
  • Festive decor at various locations,
  • A new piece of equipment - Pumpkin Helmet, which can be upgraded.
[...]
More information.

And it's apparently possible to uninstall it, for those who don't want any remnants after the event ( @JDR13; ):

If you don't want the Halloween DLC to launch and change the game, simply uninstall it. You can find the file in the folder where the game is installed. Here is the exact path to DLC: Encased\Encased_Data\StreamingAssets\DLC\Halloween.DLC

I've never understood the Halloween crap people like to put in games. Really? Are you 12?

I've never understood the Halloween crap people like to put in games. Really? Are you 12?

Ah your comment cracked me up. Thank you for the friday chuckles.

A bit off topic, but All saints' day isn't the same as Halloween, right?

At least in Sweden, they have vastly different ways of celebrating: All saints' is for remembering dead loved ones in contemplation and visitations to the grave, Halloween is party/trick-or-treat for kids with candy and dress-up, and parties for the youth and young adults.

On topic: How is the game?

Oh the whole argument that games are for kids, and if you are over 20 and still playing them your a man child. I'm glad some of that stigma has gone away in the last decade.

Or better yet your a basement dwelling loser smoking pot and just playing games.:biggrin:

Anyhow the GOG patch borked my game and I have to re-download the whole game.

What is wrong with adding Halloween events in games?

I'd rather be young and have fun (like a true Azata!) than old and cynical :)

A bit off topic, but All saints' day isn't the same as Halloween, right?

At least in Sweden, they have vastly different ways of celebrating: All saints' is for remembering dead loved ones in contemplation and visitations to the grave, Halloween is party/trick-or-treat for kids with candy and dress-up, and parties for the youth and young adults.

On topic: How is the game?
Halloween's origins are all saints day if I remember correctly. The US has just turned it into a commercial holiday like they do with everything :)

Yes, it's been boosted for commercial purposes, and I like to think I'd rather be free to celebrate when I feel like it instead of being a marketing's puppet. But on the other hand, it's perfectly possible to just enjoy the fun events without falling for the commercial stuff, and in the case of game events, get a special experience for a few days.

Especially when it's not often, we know how they overdo it in MMOs to keep the players entertained.

Dark Crystal Games said they won't do a similar special event for Xmas, at least not this year. Perhaps at most put a few lights here and there but that seemed unlikely. Instead, they'll release the 3rd patch with improvements, fixes and some additional content.

@SveNitoR; The game is good so far, with many improvements over the EA version. A few bugs but nothing serious, most are fixed by now. But that's a vague answer… I haven't finished it yet; I'll likely write a review once I have.

Halloween's origins are all saints day if I remember correctly. The US has just turned it into a commercial holiday like they do with everything
Close but the tradition originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain.

All Saints Day then incorporated some of the traditions of Samhain. Which became All Hallows Eve, and later Halloween. It gets very confusing over the last hundred of years.

X-mas is a jumbled mess as well with it's origins and celebrated differently.:)

Halloween's origins are all saints day if I remember correctly. The US has just turned it into a commercial holiday like they do with everything :)
Ok, thanks!

In Sweden they also differ in that all saints day is the Saturday between the 31st of October and 6th of November, while Halloween is celebrated the weekend closest to the 31st (which means it is celebrated different days or sometimes several days).

Edit: and thanks @Redglyph; and @Couchpotato; as well.

Looking forward to your more in depth thoughts, Red.

Thanks to your answers I looked up Samhain and Halloween on Wikipedia.

It seems like it originally was a celebration of the end of the harvest season. Like most ancient traditions, when one season turned to the next it was a time of supernatural events and need to appease spirits and gods.

Just like the time when we celebrate Christmas is around the darkest day of the year. Well, at least in the northern hemisphere. :)

Back
Top Bottom