Doom, the tech behind it

Drithius

Magic & Loss
I'm not really into shooters, but I was looking to flex a new 144Hz monitor and... I'm simply awestruck right now.

Playing the 'new' Doom on:
High graphic settings
2560x1440 resolution
120 average FPS'
Average [1070] GPU temp of 69 C

ID is amazing.

Yeah, Doom has some great visuals. I just wish the story and level design had been more compelling.

I hope Doom Eternal is as good as it looks.

Yeah, Doom has some great visuals. I just wish the story and level design had been more compelling.

Eh? Good story in Doom? Kind of contradictive. It does what it's supposed to do, gets you invested in, you're the macho demon-slayer, etc, etc.
To me gameplay was too simple and disappointing.

Eh? Good story in Doom? Kind of contradictive. It does what it's supposed to do, gets you invested in, you're the macho demon-slayer, etc, etc.
To me gameplay was too simple and disappointing.

Disappointing how? Doom has excellent gameplay for a pure shooter. Did you think it was going to be more than that?

The game has a few issues but gameplay isn't one of them.

Hmm. "Doom Eternal". Name is uncomfortably similar to "Diablo Immortal".

pibbur who is satisfied (hopes?) that there aren't other similarities.

Er - how does this blob of text relate to the Title of this thread ? All I see is that you think the graphics look nice; but I don't see any description fo the tech behind the design/implementation of Doom. Perhaps I would suggest a better title for this thread:

Sucker for graphics on my new 144hz monitor
-
Would that not be more descriptive of your direction (mind you I thought the graphics for Doom was only so so but that's just myself).

I'm not really into shooters, but I was looking to flex a new 144Hz monitor and? I'm simply awestruck right now.

Playing the 'new' Doom on:
High graphic settings
2560x1440 resolution
120 average FPS'
Average [1070] GPU temp of 69 C

ID is amazing.

I wish Bethesda had tasked Id with creating a modern engine for their TES games.

I wish Bethesda had tasked Id with creating a modern engine for their TES games.

Unfortunately, John Carmack left id and he was the genius behind the idTech engine. Not saying they can't do it without him, but with him it would certainly be better.

Unfortunately, John Carmack left id and he was the genius behind the idTech engine. Not saying they can't do it without him, but with him it would certainly be better.

Don't tell the joxer that. :)

But I agree, although I'm not particularly troubled by their existing engine.

pibbur who, come(s?) to think about it, is not particularly troubled by any engine, which probably (sadly) says more about him than the engines.

But I have to wonder, how well would idTech work for a Bethesda game? I'm not aware of any open world games done on it, except for the first Rage (and I don't know what the Rage 2 is using).
On that note, I'm kind of excited about the new Rage game. I hope it's a no nonsense open world FPS. And by no nonsense I mean no pointless fetch quests and not a collect-a-thon.

But I have to wonder, how well would idTech work for a Bethesda game? I'm not aware of any open world games done on it, except for the first Rage (and I don't know what the Rage 2 is using).
On that note, I'm kind of excited about the new Rage game. I hope it's a no nonsense open world FPS. And by no nonsense I mean no pointless fetch quests and not a collect-a-thon.

And no racing.

pibbur who couldn't get the hang of that part in number one, and in general (one exception) failed to pass that obstacle.

Last edited:
And no racing.

pibbur who couldn't get the hang of that part in number one, and in general (one exception) failed to pass that obstacle.
I don't mind racing in general, but yeah, it was pretty awful in the first Rage. I just reead that the new Rage uses Just Cause's engine (the game is being made by Avalanche Studios, the team that made Just Cause). I only played the first two JC games and driving was OK, certainly much better than Rage 1.
It wont due to an engine limitation for moveable objects. Still if a future Fallout or Elders Scroll game was made with id Tech 6 it would require a lot of disk space.

Link -https://gamingbolt.com/fallout-4-doesnt-use-id-tech-because-of-moveable-objects

Probably would require 1-2 TB's or more.
That explains a lot, thanks.

But I agree, although I'm not particularly troubled by their existing engine.

I think their engine is in its best shape ever. Mega textures were a fun idea but no one wanted to use them. Now they have that vulkan renderer where my FPS goes from 90 to 150. Much more fun! :)

Can you select that in Bethesda games? Didn't know that. Which one? How?

Or maybe you were referring to the more on topic Doom engine - I think I could select Vulcan there. Silly me.

pibbur who perhaps should know, but doesn't.

Yes, I wouldn't see them adapting the IdTech engine for TES games. I'm thinking of simply using the exceptional technical skills at Id to build them a brand new dedicated engine. IdTech itself has been rewritten a number of times, Unreal 4 was an almost completely new code base, and so on. I simply think that Bethesda has chosen not to invest in that, and we're seeing the old tech creaking pretty badly.

Don't tell the joxer that. :)
Sadly I've noticed it.
And have to comment. IMO no, they're better without him.

What ID tech needs desperately is an effective packer/unpacker of data. It doesn't have to be unbelievably awsome like those niche russian crazyness (private upgraded versions of freearc), but currently it seems the engine can work only with raw data as if we still don't have 3+ Ghz quadcore CPUs.

Back
Top Bottom