RPGWatch - Game of the Year Awards 2018

My 3 "GOTY" games seems to be the same as everyone else, also the only RPGs release in 2018 I played this year.

What I'm looking forward to:
- Cyberpunk (although I'm iffy about it releasing in 2019 now, since CDP went into silence mode again despite them saying they wouldn't, there some dev stuff mentioned back in August that made me think they were going into redesign too).
- The Outer World
- Druidstone (although Black Geyser would be a good choice too).

So it seems like GOTY will be P:K, KCD or POE2?

Are you really surprised considering the discussions around the Watch? Although, I can't say if it is funny or sad that all three were crowdfunded.

My games of the year were, in this order: Trails of Cold Steel II, Hero U, and Ash of Gods. This year looks like we'll see lots of stellar releases, assuming they are all actually out within the next eleven months.

Will not vote,since I did not play any RPG's from last year. Shameful,I know.
As for 2019,I wish all the RPG's to be released ASAP,so they get patched and fixed to actually be playable up to 9-10 months period since release.

So it seems like GOTY will be P:K, KCD or POE2?
Not surprised.:)

As not a single big budget triple A RPG was released this year, and this year looks to be the same besides Anthem. Crowdfunding and B budget RPGs have taken over.

I made a list of of all type of RPGs for 2019 so far.

Alaloth: Champions of the Four Kingdoms
Age of Wonders: Planetfall
Anthem
Arakion
Arcadian Atlas
Archmage Rises
Biomutant
Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Bloom: Memories Breach
Burden of Command
Call of Saregnar
Caves of Qud
Celestian Tales: Realms Beyond
Code Vein
Colony Ship - A Post-Earth Role Playing Game
Consortium: The Tower
Copper Dreams
Crying Suns
Cyberpunk 2077
Dead Island 2
Disco Elysium
Divinia Chronicles: Relics of Gan-Ti
Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest
Dungeon Kingdom: Sign of the Moon
Dungeons Of Aledorn
Edge Of Eternity
Eitr
Element: Space
Encased End State
Eternity: The Last Unicorn
Exoplanet: First Contact
Fade to Silence Fallen Gods
Feudal Alloy
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark
Graywalkers: Purgatory
Greedfall
Grimshade
HellSign
Hellpoint
Himeko Sutori
Indivisible
Iratus: Lord of the Dead
Jupiter Hell
Knights of the Chalice II
Kynseed
Labyrinth
Legends of Ellaria
Liege
Long Gone Days
Luckless Seven
Mage's Initiation
Monomyth
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
Nighthawks
Odd Gods
Operencia: The Stolen Sun
Outward
Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen
Phoenix Point
Praey for the Gods
Queen's Wish: The Conqueror
Rain of Reflections
Realms Beyond
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw
Rogue Empire: Dungeon Crawler
Rune
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Shenmue 3
Silicon Void
Sinner: Sacrifice for Redemption
Six Ages
Soul Saga
Stellar Tactics Stoneshard
Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones
System Shock (Remake)
Sunless Skies
Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
Terran Shield
The Black Masses
The Iron Oath
The Outer Worlds
The Sinking City
The Surge 2
The Waylanders
Thea 2: The Shattering
Theseus: Journey to Athens
Lords of the Fallen 2
Tortured Hearts
Two Worlds III
Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians
Vestaria Saga
Wasteland 3
Wellspring: Altar of Roots
Werewolf: The Apocalypse
Winterfall
Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem World
Xenonauts II

Archmage Rises is coming to Steam Early Access in early 2020 so you easily forget it releasing in 2019 :D

Archmage Rises is coming to Steam Early Access in early 2020 so you easily forget it releasing in 2019 :D
List is made off another forum and this sites database.

So it has a small margin of errors.:p

I wish Insomnia Arc had been listed as I would have voted for that as my third choice.

I ended up changing my mind after finishing Pathfinder and voted:

First - Pathfinder
Second - POE2
Third - Insomnia Arc except it wasn't on the list for some reason even though it is an RPG and a great game. So decided to vote for Vampyr since it tried something a bit different and was rather cool.

For games looking forward to ... Cyberpunk 2077 if it gets released next year. Beyond that not a lot on my radar. Maybe the next DA game but DAI was meh. Okay and I finished it except for the DLC's ... so not sure how much I care about the next one beyond it would be nice to see it get wrapped up in regards to the Dread Wolf.

Couriers of Darkness looks pretty interesting though so made that my second choice.

Could not find a third so just added DA DW since not sure if that will be out or not.

I wish Insomnia Arc had been listed as I would have voted for that as my third choice.

Third - Insomnia Arc except it wasn't on the list for some reason even though it is an RPG and a great game. So decided to vote for Vampyr since it tried something a bit different and was rather cool.
The list was shortened according to the last news-bit.

Link - https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41712

Personally I haven't played it as it's mess and needs more patches.

Last edited:
My top three picks for 2018

1 = Kingdom Come Deliverance
2 = Pillars of Eternity 2
3 = Pathfinder:Kingmaker

My top three picks for Most Anticipated for 2019

1 = Wasteland 3
2 = Outer Worlds
3 = Black Geyser

Non RPG = Metro Exodus.

I voted for

1. Pathfinder: Kingmaker
2. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
3. The Great Gaias

(honorable mentions to Valkyria Chronicles 4, PoE 2: Deadfire, Hero U, Atom and Kenshi and Cold Steel 2)

1. Biomutant
2. Tales of Vesperia: DE
3. Wasteland 3

2018:
1. Kenshi
2. Kingmaker
3. Kingdom Come

2019:
I just did it, and I don't even remember. Realms Beyond and Cyberpunk were in there. I really don't anticipate games much anymore. There are so many, and they will come when they come. I rely on the Watch to inform me when they're actually out now.

The top three might be a combination of P:K, KCD POE2.

Though the most wanted for 2019 is up for grabs.

As not many share the same picks.

Surprised no one else picked Greedfall. As it looks to be a vast improvement over Spider's past RPGs. Basically Focus Entertainment forked over a bigger budget.

Last edited:

I ended up changing my mind after finishing Pathfinder and voted:

First - Pathfinder
Second - POE2

For games looking forward to … Cyberpunk 2077 if it gets released next year. Beyond that not a lot on my radar. Maybe the next DA game but DAI was meh. Okay and I finished it except for the DLC's … so not sure how much I care about the next one beyond it would be nice to see it get wrapped up in regards to the Dread Wolf.

Couriers of Darkness looks pretty interesting though so made that my second choice.

Could not find a third so just added DA DW since not sure if that will be out or not.

It was a difficult process of getting some 110+ rpgs down to a 35 game list. I'm playing Insomnia now, and I also think its a good game, but it still would have not gotten one of my top 4 votes (nor would it have if had been released anytime in the last 5 years), so I did not fight for its inclusion. Insomnia has very mixed reviews due to its current state and its release state. I think one can enjoy it despite the bugs and issues still present, but we decided to include less well known rpgs that got a postive or very positive Steam reception, if someone could confirm that they had heard from another player that they were good. Insomnia did not make the cut for this reason. If we hadn't done this our list would have been around 60 games instead of 35.

It was a difficult process of getting some 110+ rpgs down to a 35 game list. I'm playing Insomnia now, and I also think its a good game, but it still would have not gotten one of my top 4 votes (nor would it have if had been released anytime in the last 5 years), so I did not fight for its inclusion. Insomnia has very mixed reviews due to its current state and its release state. I think one can enjoy it despite the bugs and issues still present, but we decided to include less well known rpgs that got a postive or very positive Steam reception, if someone could confirm that they had heard from another player that they were good. Insomnia did not make the cut for this reason. If we hadn't done this our list would have been around 60 games instead of 35.

After they mentioned they are upgrading to the new version of unreal anyways, I am just going to wait further.

2018 was the year of "not finished yet"

After they mentioned they are upgrading to the new version of unreal anyways, I am just going to wait further.

2018 was the year of "not finished yet"
I haven't followed news of that game much. When did they announce the upgrade? If so guess I'll join the wait longer till it's finally finished group.

Looks like the game was released to early.:(

I only played Avernum 3 (great) and NWN:EE which are both excluded due to being remakes, and Hero-U which I couldn't really get into so won't vote for. I suspect my choices would have been pathfinder and deadfire if I'd gotten around to playing them yet. :)

This year I'm looking forward to Realms Beyond, Outer Worlds and Monomyth. I might even play them before next year's vote.

I felt my votes were kind of off since I've yet to play Pathfinder and some of the other heavy contenders. I'm pretty sure PF would have made my top three but I can't very well vote for games I didn't play. So my picks were:

1. PoE2
2. Atom RPG
3. None (I DID play several other games on the list but none of them felt good enough to warrant a vote).

The picks for most anticipated were harder, but I ended with:
1. Phoenix Point (Which is probably not a "true" RPG but hell, I love my tactical squad RPish Games as well…)
2. The outer worlds
3. Wasteland 3

I could have exchanged my three picks for several others though, it was tough just picking three…

I have to slightly change my vote from planned, but nothing major nor probably impactful. Note that I'm voting on vanilla games, not (released or yet unreleased) DLC.

For the best trio I picked:

1. Kingdom Come Deliverance
- Release bugs aside as those were patched (mostly), it got me hooked instantly and I've fallen in love with all of it's characters and freedom to solve quests by numerous ways. Once I've stumbled upon the lockpicking minigame, I was dancing happily, it ain't gonna be adored by mushroom addicts.

2. Valkyria Chronicles 4
- New crew, new story, new class, new everything plus improved K+M (menu) and absolutely amazing japanese voiceover. And again I've fallen in love with all it's characters, including villains. If KCD didn't exist or if VC4 went somewhat more mature, it would have easily get my top spot although it's without c&c.

3. Pathfinder: Kingmaker
- It shouldn't have been here. But after analyzing what it offers (and where it fails), I can't look past it and say it didn't succed in what it wanted to be. Sure, some parts were more than the developer could chew ("endgame" for example), but compared to "deadly sins" other widely popular titles did, it feels like nitpicking.

I have to add reasons for titles I consider(ed) as potential goty material but delisted/disqualified from my top3, just so you know why:
- AC Odyssey - microtransactions hell and pushing the store on your nose
- Dragon Quest 11 - grind-o-rama with outdated save system and menus from hell
- FF15 - supposed to be a tragedy yet leaves you cold, style over substance product
- Ni No Kuni 2 - another style over substance product with tons of grind
- Eternity2 - reset Eder&co. to level 1 without any explanation thus make me feel like an idiot, make summons OP, don't address arquebus/blunderbus abuse, set nonchallenge shipfights… cmon!
- Trails of Cold Steel 2 - don't push Alicia if I've chosen another romance in prequel and don't start spectacular then make the second half of the game an repetitive grinder
- Yakuza 0 - mushrooms a must for sidequests? get lost

Looking forward to Cyberpunk, Shenmue3 and The Outer Worlds in 2019.

Back
Top Bottom