Pricewatch!

I grabbed a GoG version of Space Rangers 2 HD - A War Apart for $4.49. I have the disks for the original Space Rangers 2 and had tried to install recently on my Win8 PC, but Starforce FUBAR'd my machine and I had to do all kinds of restoring afterwards. I was happy to see it onsale again. Too bad it wasnt one of those "reclaim" games

Last edited:
Spoon, are the Stalker games real RPGs, or more of an FPS? I've heard they may have some RPG elements, if so, I'd be interested in them myself. :)

Spoon, are the Stalker games real RPGs, or more of an FPS? I've heard they may have some RPG elements, if so, I'd be interested in them myself. :)

Focusing on the first one (which is the best of the three), you play as a STALKER (groups of ex-military, mercenaries and fortune hunters - of artifacts and myths) in the forbidden and radiated region of Chernobyl following a nuclear meltdown. You are trying to piece together why you are supposed to kill someone and at the same time find out about the strange things happening in that region and other myths.

It is open world (or semi-open world) as you travel from large region into another. You speak to NPCs to get missions. It is non-linear, and you can follow the main quest line or the many side quests that you get from NPCs for a reward (money or kit), and there is no hand holding. There are also shops to buy and sell things, and you can also trade with NPCs. Moreover, there are certain events that you trigger in maps, which makes the world feel dynamic. There are many ways to approach missions (sneak, brute force .. etc.).

There is no leveling up but there are stats! You can find/buy/trade weapon and armour upgrades to boost your stats and kit, and more importantly there are 'artifacts'. These you find all over the map (some are easy to find, and some are damn hard to find or to get) that you can equip to change certain stats (e.g. boost armour but reduce radiation resistance, increase fire and radiation resistance .. etc.) and these are stackable.

Combat is through first person, there are many different types of weapons and weapon upgrades to improve weapon stats (recoil, zoom, .. etc.) and it is one of the best. Enemy AI is also one of the best that I have seen as well.

There are also survival elements in that you have to eat food and use anti-radiation injections as you are bound to be affected by radiation. There are also factions that you can join.

The atmosphere in STALKER is one the best that you can find in a game. Mixing horror, uncertainty, despair, helped by the dynamic weather and certain forbidden regions in the map where there are radiation storms or incidents. The lore is very rich told by NPCs and scattered letters (and dreams!).

So to answer your question, it does have many rpg elements (stats, quests, nonlinearity, factions, and loot).

You can find the first one as a disk version cheaply on eBay (which you can then claim on GoG)!

Wow Spoon, you just made me want to play STALKER again!

And noone PMed me.

Sea Dogs, the game I talked about numerous times, after years of not being available anywhere, even on ebay working discs were probably impossible to get, got it's digital release. Finally.
On GOG ofc.
http://www.gog.com/game/sea_dogs

Beware everyone who'll buy it - it never got patched completely. No wonder Bethesda published it's sequel (Pirates of the Caribbean), unpatched games are their "thing".
Regardless of it's bugs, this RTS/RPG hybrid with spectacular music is a must have.

You'll want it just so you see how even with old graphics it's RPG part is far superior to Assassin Creed Black Flag (no I didn't play that boredom, but Rogue, that is improved AC4 I am playing, currently) and to Raven's Cry. Those were times when motion capture animations were not the core part of a game and RPG didn't mean put a few skills that can improve and that's RPG.

Venetica is 50% off on Steam til April 9th.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/338140/

If I hadn't had it on my wishlish I wouldn't have noticed, games like this rarely get front page love or any deep discounts during holiday events.

Awesome - thanks! I thought I had already bought the digital version, but apparently not! Now when my new PC arrives I can start re-playing this one ... :)

Neptunia -50% on Steam which makes it 14€:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/282900/

If you don't have a controller, I suggest not buying - I bought the game and can't play it because of confusing UI.
If you do have a controller, I suggest selling your PC, buying whatever console and then buying Neptunia on that console.
See… You don't get a gamepad packed with the game.

If you don't have a controller, I suggest not buying - I bought the game and can't play it because of confusing UI.
If you do have a controller, I suggest selling your PC, buying whatever console and then buying Neptunia on that console.

Isn't that one of the notoriously grindy JRPGs, with plenty of "fan service", or am I mixing things up?
And gamepads are awesome. Commander Keen is a lot more enjoyable with one.

This one actual made me laugh Joxer, Thanks.:)

Venetica is 50% off on Steam til April 9th.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/338140/

If I hadn't had it on my wishlish I wouldn't have noticed, games like this rarely get front page love or any deep discounts during holiday events.

Really enjoyed Venetica. I never finished it, but I played for a very long time and I hardly finish anything anymore.

crpgnut, you should buy and play Wolfenstein. There is no way you won't finish it.
In case you hate Bethesda but love EA, buy and play Battlefield Hardline. No way you won't finish it's SP campaign.
If you can't stand either of them two, grab Order:1886. You'll finish it. Trust me.

No, I'm not saying these games are so great you just can't stop playing till the end.
I'm saying you get just a few hours of content for 50 bucks.

I grabbed Might and Magic Nine from GoG for like 2 bucks today, gonna fiddle with this since PoE is on standby until a patch or three hits.
Insta-ban! Heretic!

The M&M franchise went from 8 to 10. There was nothing in between. Now go wash your mouth out with soap, mister.

Back
Top Bottom