Command & Conquer - Remastered Editions?

Speaking of Command & Conquer, can anyone tell me if the "Command & Conquer: The Ultimate Collection" properly runs in Windows 7 64 bit?
I actually recently played through C&C1 and 2 (Tiberian Sun, not Red Alert), and I had more problems than you'd think.

Something like this was the way to go I think:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/tiberian-sun-client

C&C1 simply required some enhancement mod I believe. It wasn't too much hassle. Red Alert is a bit more of a bother though if I recall correctly, but it's been a while. The rest should be fine.

I actually recently played through C&C1 and 2 (Tiberian Sun, not Red Alert), and I had more problems than you'd think.

Something like this was the way to go I think:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/tiberian-sun-client

C&C1 simply required some enhancement mod I believe. It wasn't too much hassle. Red Alert is a bit more of a bother though if I recall correctly, but it's been a while. The rest should be fine.
Yep like I said he may need to download other programs to run the older games. So I have to ask you did you get Generals to work because it doesn't even run on Win 10.

Yep like I said he may need to download other programs to run the older games. So I have to ask you did you get Generals to work because it doesn't even run on Win 10.
No, I only did the main "story" this time, with C&C1, 2 and 3 (no, didn't bother with 4, despite it being in the same universe).

I liked Generals back in the days though. A shame if that flat out stopped working. Their support of the C&C games has been atrocious, considering the only way to smoothly run some of these older games is via unofficial stuff.

Completely agree the support for these games are teriible.

I had to download the Red Alert 2 & Yuri's Revenge expansion multiplayer client files, and other third party programs just to run them on Win 10. Generals just doesn't start.

So to finally see true remasters makes me finally excited to play the old games. Some of the early info suggests two new games are possible. So fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I liked the first two when they first came out not sure if they will be that enjoyable even after remaster. For the most part I played the ones after the first two but didn't really like any of them.

With all this remaster craze, I've dusted off my trusty PS3 and had fun with Red Alert 3.
Yes, I know, this is a PC game, console versions are inferior, yadda-yadda.
But I had fun nevertheless. The game is as good as ever, the UI is elegant and simple.

Now a burning question:
How will react the C&C/RA community if the remasters prioritize console or PC? (A very probable scenario... will there be another potential "Blizzard-gate"?)

With all this remaster craze, I've dusted off my trusty PS3 and had fun with Red Alert 3.
Yes, I know, this is a PC game, console versions are inferior, yadda-yadda.
But I had fun nevertheless. The game is as good as ever, the UI is elegant and simple.

Now a burning question:
How will react the C&C/RA community if the remasters prioritize console or PC? (A very probable scenario… will there be another potential "Blizzard-gate"?)
Why would they prioritize consoles only when Red Alert 3 was a flop after the PC release? Wait the XBox One has K&M support so it should work better.

I do remember playing Dune on the Sega Genesis back in the 1990's.

41izublo0gL.jpg

So yes I think the remasters will get released on both Consoles and The PC .

Why would they prioritize consoles only when Red Alert 3 was a flop after the PC release?

By prioritizing, I mean that the game will be designed for consoles first, and the PC version will be an afterthought.
So, there will be a PC version - question is, will it be a proper PC game, or a console game with tackled-on PC features (as it happens nowadays)?

I would not bet on the Microsoft K+M initiative for consoles, it will never catch on, unless (… won't go into details here)
M+K for consoles is nothing new. Sony did it for the PS2, Sega did it for the Dreamcast, MS did it for the original Xbox, no one cared. And for a good reason.

Ah I thought you meant something different, but yes you have a valid point.:nod:

Pretty lame "collection" tbh. It only includes C&C 1 + Red Alert 1 and their expansions. I was expecting a lot more.

Pretty lame "collection" tbh. It only includes C&C 1 + Red Alert 1 and their expansions. I was expecting a lot more.
Yeah but it was announced two years ago it would only be those two games. My guess if it sells you might see Red Alert 2 & Generals get an HD remaster as well.

You don't need a remaster of the later games they have aged well.:)

If this doesn't end up being good, you can always try OpenRA. It's a source port for the first two games (+ Dune 2) and plays nicely on Windows 10/7. It also has a healthy multiplayer community. I played it a lot with my friends during the lockdown. The graphics aren't remastered, but it does support higher resolutions. I didn't try single player campaigns, but I think they are playable. You just need to supply the videos yourself, but I think they made the first few games freeware and you can find them legally online if you don't have the CDs.

I watched some gameplay videos on youtube and I have to say it looks really good. The graphics are done from scratch from what I've seen, not just upscaled. They are very faithful to the original and I haven't noticed anything out of place. I really like that they decided to go with crisp, high-res graphics instead of pixel art.

This video in particular is a nice overview:

The guy in the video mentions there are some problems with stuttering which he resolved by moving the game to an SSD, but other than that it's the same old game with better graphics.

Back
Top Bottom