Cyberpunk 2077 - Official Night City Tour Trailer

The extra work would be paid, as required by Polish labor laws. Many other video game studios don’t pay for overtime. “I take it upon myself to receive the full backlash for the decision,” he wrote.

“I know this is in direct opposition to what we’ve said about crunch. It’s also in direct opposition to what I personally grew to believe a while back -- that crunch should never be the answer. But we’ve extended all other possible means of navigating the situation.”.

I don't see anything wrong with that personally. Its a responsible statement that he shared with his staff to bring the game to a high standard expected of the company to us. Moreover, they are being paid for the extra time (we don't get that in education!).

Yeah my bigger concern as I mentioned above is CDPR stated the the game has many lingering bugs and glitches. I'd usual have something snarky to say about that.

It should not be acceptable for a delayed game near it's third new release date to have this problem. Then again it's standard industry protocol to patch like hell after release.

Pity we all accepted this and buy broken games on release.:(

Yeah my bigger concern as I mentioned above is CDPR stated the the game has many lingering bugs and glitches. I'd usual have something snarky to say about that.

It should not be acceptable for a delayed game near it's third new release date to have this problem. Then again it's standard industry protocol to patch like hell after release.

Pity we all accepted this and buy broken games on release.:(

I guess this is what CDRP are trying to avoid, and patch the game before the release to remove any major bugs - maybe with a day-one patch.

I guess this is what CDRP are trying to avoid, and patch the game before the release to remove any major bugs - maybe with a day-one patch.
I'm sure it will have a day one patch.:nod:

Most games do nowadays that's my point. My second point is a game that was delayed multiple times with 7+ years of development should be in better shape near it's release.

It would be if it was a PC exclusive. But it's not.

It would be if it was a PC exclusive. But it's not.
Nah that's called a convenient excuse. Though yeah the last delay was due to CDPR wanting to release on the new consoles next month. So yeah partly true I guess.

Last edited:
Forced overtime is not unusual, and it isn't restricted to industries in which workers "may be needed to save lives". A lot of this forced overtime is unpaid. Overtime in Poland means, by law, a maximum of 48 hours a week. I've had jobs where 48 hours a week was a normal week. Crunch is bad, but this is not crunch by its normal defintion. Working extra to meet deadlines is done in countless lines of work, and it's often far more abusive than this. My girlfriend had a deadline on a web project and was required to literally work overnight... after about 16 hours at a stretch, she insisted on going home to get some rest and she got in trouble for that. CDPR employees are still not required to work more than 8 hours in any given 24 hour period. This isn't nothing, but it's damn close.

And yes, I want the game and don't want to wait through yet another delay. I won't pretend otherwise. But that doesn't change the fact that a lot of people are overreacting to this announcement, calling something draconian that really isn't.

Also, while I do want the game to not be a complete buggy mess at launch, I accept that games always have bugs at launch. Always. There is never a point at which games have zero bugs. I trust them to get this to a manageable state by launch (with an inevitable day one patch) and then keep fixing it, just like every other game in existence.

No overreaction on my part the extended workload is due to bugs and other glitches.
In the email, CD Projekt Red studio head Adam Badowski wrote that he was optimistic about the state of Cyberpunk 2077, which stars Keanu Reeves, and that they had just sent the game to be certified for release on Sony Corp.’s PlayStation and Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox. Now, he wrote, it was time to fix the game’s many lingering bugs and glitches.
I want to play this game badly next month as well, but a game delayed multiple times with 7+ years of development should be in better shape near it's release.

Same as I said above.:)

I wasn't meaning that CDProjekt are devils that exploit their workers ilegally, and I did say that these devs at least are getting paid for overtime (still sounds like they're being forced to take the overtime, althought is remains unclear). I work close to devs on daily basis, and my partner is one, and I know there are way worse cases, because I've suffered them in my own home. Luckily, I've not had to deal with any of that in a couple years since both my partner and I changed jobs, but it's a thing and people in the sector know well which are the companies doing this.

I'm sorry if it sounded that I was criticising CDprojekt, I just used the announcement to criticise a shady and dirty practice that seems common in the game developing industry because it has touched me close, and got a little carried away. I still think the way I wrote, but it's not CDProjekt's fault.

There is nothing illegal in Bioware magic.

Legality however does not equal morality. Never did.
Well… Except maybe in scandinavian countries, but neither CDpr or Bioware are operating from there.

I wasn't meaning that CDProjekt are devils that exploit their workers ilegally, and I did say that these devs at least are getting paid for overtime (still sounds like they're being forced to take the overtime, althought is remains unclear). I work close to devs on daily basis, and my partner is one, and I know there are way worse cases, because I've suffered them in my own home. Luckily, I've not had to deal with any of that in a couple years since both my partner and I changed jobs, but it's a thing and people in the sector know well which are the companies doing this.

I'm sorry if it sounded that I was criticising CDprojekt, I just used the announcement to criticise a shady and dirty practice that seems common in the game developing industry because it has touched me close, and got a little carried away. I still think the way I wrote, but it's not CDProjekt's fault.

I know I quoted you in my post, but really I saw and see nothing wrong with what you wrote. Nobody here has gone off the deep end, from what I've seen. But on the Cyberpunk 2077 subreddit, it's a different story and that was very much on my mind when I wrote my post, not just posts here.

Back
Top Bottom