Final Fantasy 12 Remaster

In general, my definition of grinding is something you have to do although you've already killed every enemy. But yet it's not enough, your level needs to be higher to deal with some boss, so you have to return somewhere and repeat battles until you've reached higher levels.

If you can just progress through a game normally, without having to return somewhere and seek out new enemies artificially to level up, it doesn't have grinding in my opinion. Thankfully many games don't, your level is enough to beat every next encounter or next boss.

By Elel's definition, that type of grinding is mostly found in RPGs where there is optional, challenging side content near the end of the game.

Blue Dragon, for example. Typical RPG progression, as long as you fight a fair number of fights while exploring each area and don't run past every single encounter.

Yet near the end of the game, there are several optional mega-bosses that you can fight. You need to grind on tougher enemies which also spawn on rare islands that allow you to grind to a decent enough level to take on the mega-bosses.

No.
Killing 50 or so scavengers is considered an extinction in Gothic as there are no more of scavengers in the whole game. At least not in that chapter.

Besides, why do you seek level up from dealing with wildlife? Do some fedex quests man.

What, you don't kill all the wildlife you see in Gothic games? :p

I think what he meant was that Gothic can't have real grinding because its wildlife doesn't endlessly respawn.

Dull, repetitive combat: fighting the same monsters the same way, over and over.

Grinding: fighting the same monsters over and over for no other reason than to gain levels.

It's that 'no other reason' that gets tricky. I like exploring so I might pace all around a forest just to see everything while another person would think I'm just grinding. Somebody who really doesn't care about quests and just wants to enjoy the combat won't ever be able to see the difference between "dull/repetitive" and "grinding"!

Grinding: fighting the same monsters over and over for no other reason than to gain levels.
And $ and itemdrops - it doesn't even have to be RPG. ;)

Basically grinding means fighting when there is no in-game reason for it. For example, if the main quest sends you to Agkabar, and on the way there you fight 10 fights against bandits or some stupid bear that attacked you, that's not grinding. Or if the merchant asks you to get him 20 bear pelts to trade for his information, that's not grinding. But if you're doing the main quest as normal and start noticing that the monsters you're fighting are much tougher than you are, and your only recourse is to run around in circles killing things for exp, that is grinding.
Japanese so called Strategy RPGs (like the Disgaea series and others) are very grindy. If you just do the main quest, chances are you'll soon be underleveled. Your party will be level 20 and you'll be fighting level 30 enemies. They usually add an infinite dungeon for you to grind as you please.

Seems kind of expensive for a game originally released more than a decade ago. I get that it's remastered but still...

Back
Top Bottom