Risen 2: Dark Waters - 80% Off on Steam

If I recall, there was only one or two traps in the jungle. Most of them were in temples. You were also warned about traps before heading into the jungle IIRC.

I just finished Risen 2 a week or two ago, and I found no issue with those traps. The first one surprised me in the first tomb I visited, but after that I was careful. When I saw bones or blood, I would put my finger in the spacebar. I only died one more time by a trap in the whole game.

I just finished Risen 2 a week or two ago, and I found no issue with those traps. The first one surprised me in the first tomb I visited, but after that I was careful. When I saw bones or blood, I would put my finger in the spacebar. I only died one more time by a trap in the whole game.

I died a few times from them but like I said, it keeps you on your toes. Once I knew temples could be trapped I made sure to stay alert when I was exploring one.

I died a few times from them but like I said, it keeps you on your toes. Once I knew temples could be trapped I made sure to stay alert when I was exploring one.
Well, I prefer Risen 1 method which not depended of "press X key in a second to not die", at least was possible to see the signals of the traps and decide what to do (disarm or avoid)

Well, I prefer Risen 1 method which not depended of "press X key in a second to not die", at least was possible to see the signals of the traps and decide what to do (disarm or avoid)

that's really a nitpick. Chances are really high that after it happened to you, you could reload your last save 1 or 2 minutes before that happened and now you know what to do. Risen 1 had a much worse problem in the last boss fight, which I just couldn't get past and I had to resort to watch the ending in youtube, very anticlimactic after spending 30+ hours playing the game.

There are, you step somewhere you shouldn't and you're gone. No QTE to avoid traps.
But unlike Risen 2, you can levitate or use telekinesis on carefully hidden levers. :)

Just out of interest did you guys play as a melee character in Risen 2? I found the melee combat incredibly frustrating, while I have heard that firearms are extremely overpowered i.e. the combat becomes a cakewalk leaving the player to enjoy the world design/story. Note: I did actually finish Risen 2, it is just there are so many better old games out there that I judge it harshly.

I found Risen 1 far more closer to the Gothic vibe. Gothic 2 is one of my favourite games of all time - I have completed as both a bandit and as a mage and found both forms of combat well balanced unlike Risen 2.

Just out of interest did you guys play as a melee character in Risen 2? I found the melee combat incredibly frustrating, while I have heard that firearms are extremely overpowered i.e. the combat becomes a cakewalk leaving the player to enjoy the world design/story. Note: I did actually finish Risen 2, it is just there are so many better old games out there that I judge it harshly.

I tried melee for a bit, but it didn't feel very comfortable. I then tried voodoo magic, which felt clunky and underpowered.

Finally, I decided to go with firearms - and it was very overpowered.

So, I agree with you :)

But I don't really play games for hard combat anymore. It kinda depends on the game, though.

But the worlds are so rich in PB games that I don't need fantastic balance. Just as long as it works reasonably well and I can succeed doing something I enjoy, it's ok.

I found Risen 1 far more closer to the Gothic vibe. Gothic 2 is one of my favourite games of all time - I have completed as both a bandit and as a mage and found both forms of combat well balanced unlike Risen 2.

The first two thirds of Risen were fantastic, but the last third brought the whole thing down in a big way.

Overall, I actually prefer Risen 2 - because it didn't have such a dip in quality anywhere, and I happened to really enjoy the island exploration for the most part.

I also enjoyed the dungeons more - and though the combat balance was off - it was still entertaining. I found Risen combat well done, but sort of rigid and samey - especially as a melee guy. That made combat feel more like grinding towards the end of the game, and I never got to feel empowered - which is something I prefer past a certain point. Combat kept being hard and it just wore me out near the end, with all those damn lizard creatures over and over and over again.

Well, I actually don't know for sure about the ending in Risen 2 - as I stopped playing near the end due to being distracted. But based on what other people are telling me, it doesn't have a crappy ending.

Well, I actually don't know for sure about the ending in Risen 2 - as I stopped playing near the end due to being distracted. But based on what other people are telling me, it doesn't have a crappy ending.

It was a very average ending, but certainly better than the ending of Risen 1 which was easily the worst part of that game.

I couldn't say which game I liked better overall, but it seems like they were close to equal for me. I haven't played Risen 1 since it was released though, so it's quite possible my opinion could change for better or worse if I were to replay it now.

I played voodoo character, and while voodoo quests were awesome, their combat power was meh. But since you have 2 companions, it didn't really matter, I just used my companions as tanks while I slashed away (I never bothered with riposting, I just slashed if enemy was attacking a companion, or full parry when it turned to me while the companions damaged it).

But I don't really play games for hard combat anymore. It kinda depends on the game, though.

But the worlds are so rich in PB games that I don't need fantastic balance. Just as long as it works reasonably well and I can succeed doing something I enjoy, it's ok.

Whaaaaat?! Hell has frozen over, next I'll read about your JRPG addiction!! :biggrin:

Anyways, I'm really on the fence over this. I mean, it's dirt cheap, but between the fact that I buy so many games these days without really playing them and the mixed reviews, I just don't know.

However, the Watch seems to have a different opinion on Risen 2 and Risen in general, and I DID love Gothic very much, so maybe I should just spend the (small amount of) money and shrug all the negativity from others away...

Whaaaaat?! Hell has frozen over, next I'll read about your JRPG addiction!! :biggrin:

Oh, I still like a challenge and investing myself - but I'm bored with combat these days. Well, at least I'm bored with filler combat - which tends to be a part of almost every game for some reason.

Anyways, I'm really on the fence over this. I mean, it's dirt cheap, but between the fact that I buy so many games these days without really playing them and the mixed reviews, I just don't know.

Well, if you're going to waste your money on something, supporting PB isn't the worst choice.

However, the Watch seems to have a different opinion on Risen 2 and Risen in general, and I DID love Gothic very much, so maybe I should just spend the (small amount of) money and shrug all the negativity from others away…

Both games are worth playing and more, if you ask me.

I thought Voodoo magic was done well in Risen 2. One of the scepters allowed you to turn 2 enemies against each other, and that was handy in some of the tougher encounters in the game. The voodoo doll stuff was very entertaining as well.

I liked Risen 2. It didn't have the crazy end boss of Risen 1 so that was a gigantic plus. And I too enjoyed exploring all the islands. The combat was fine and so was the story.

The only thing I didn't like about it was how the game was released. For N.A. gamers we didn't get a hard copy, so I didn't get Risen 2 until about a year after it came out. I still prefer CDs for games I think I'm going to really love.

But 80% off is a deal that should not be missed if you like the games PB puts out.

Alright, so I bought it. It's fun and I can see myself getting immersed by it (as Piranha Bytes games do). But then I realized I haven't even finished The Witcher 2 yet. :biggrin:

There are some framerate issues, though. I thought I would be able to run this easily on max settings with my GeForce 470 GTX, since most of everything does (I run games on my TV at 1370x768). But no, choppy turning in many places... hm. Oh, well.

Wow, I'm actually enjoying this game more than I expected to. Immersion is very high and while it's no Skyrim with all its different systems and randomness, it's just plain fun running around these handcrafted islands. Glad I bought this for a measly 4 euro.

Wow, I'm actually enjoying this game more than I expected to. Immersion is very high and while it's no Skyrim with all its different systems and randomness, it's just plain fun running around these handcrafted islands. Glad I bought this for a measly 4 euro.

Glad you're liking it.

It's really a gem of a game. Immersion is indeed very high and the hand-crafted feeling of the world makes it a joy to explore. It gets even better when you can explore all the other islands as you see fit. Great game.

It makes me wonder why Risen 2 got worse reviews than the first one, especially on the consoles (was the port that bad?). Well, I guess a 69 average on Metacritic (on PC) isn't bad, but still. Goes to show that how much fun you'll have with a game is completely separated from what others players or reviewers think.

On consoles the game was a disaster and was never patched completely.

It makes me wonder why Risen 2 got worse reviews than the first one, especially on the consoles (was the port that bad?).
Well, I can tell a bit from my point of view. I've played Risen 1 as a mage, so I was not with the inquisition. In Risen 2 you play the same character of course. But you start Risen 2 as if your char had sided with the inquisition, you aren't a mage anymore. I just hate this "ignorance". So I immediately lost interest and came back to it some months later. I accepted that I needed to go with the canonical setting and tried to be a mage again - which wasn't possible because traditional magic isn't available in Risen 2. You have Vodoo, which is a nice idea, but I didn't like it that much. I've wanted to throw fireballs. Additionally I didn't like the pirate theme and would have rather played in a tradiotional fantasy setting.

Back
Top Bottom