Anyone else ever finish MM IX?

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
Surely I'm not the only masochist. I remember I had to restart several times because I didn't complete certain quests in a specific order. It's been a couple years and I'm actually contemplating a replay.

Does anyone know if this ever got an unofficial patch? I'll have to see what Celestial Heavens has to say.

I was unaware that such a game existed. ;)

I restarted a couple times to get around the game killer at the very beginning and made some progress, but I wasn't enjoying the game so when I hit the promotion bug, I punted. IIRC, there were 2 official patches that cleaned up most of the serious problems. Probably best to check Celestial Heavens than to trust my memory, though.

http://telp.org/mm9/

This is the one you want and you have to patch the game to 1.2 and then apply their1.3 patch.

I could be wrong, but I think the GOG version actually comes with the unofficial patch(1.3?) installed.

*Edit* It comes bundled with TELP's 1.3a patch.

Ooh, I'll for sure check that out, JDR. I can always purchase that version too. I actually enjoyed some of the dungeons in that game. I wish someone would do a MMX someday.

I finished MM IX.

pibbur who also occasionally listens to the complete "Tales from Topographic Oceans" by Yes.

I finished it, and I enjoyed it. Sorry, I guess my expectations weren't that high when I was younger. More shockingly, I played MM 7 (a lot) but never completed it and never played MM 8 (apparantly considered the best in the series by many).

I still remember the day in MM 9 when I promoted one of my chars to lich. I like this kind of character development (in larger phases instead of just upping one point at a time), wish more games would do something similar.

I love the implentation of progression in MM6~. I agree that there is a distinct feeling of accomplishment when your archer can learn magic at expert and master and becomes the Grandmaster of Bow. The first black potion that your Druid makes or learning Shrapmetal once you've succumbed to the Dark path are just a couple other examples. It gives the player a constant sense of accomplishment. Achievements are an example of a newer model that try to do the same thing, but I haven't played a game with achievements that has reached the level of satisfaction I get from becoming fully promoted in an MM game.

.. and never played MM 8 (apparantly considered the best in the series by many).

Usually the battle over "best in the series" is between VI and VII but I can't really remember hearing from a lot of people who were rallying for VIII.
My personal favorite is definitely no. VII.
It was downhill from VIII for fans of VI and VII mostly because VIII made you pick up your party along your travels instead of being able to create one from the start and the whole dark theme with dragons, minotaurs, vampires, trolls etc. as playable characters wasn't exactly everyone's cup of tea either.

Yeah, 8 was weaker than the previous two games with that engine. I personally would go 7, 3, 6, 8, 4&5, 2, 1 and finally 9. 7 and 3 sometimes swap places as being my favorite. 6 is real close too, but the 2nd promotion quests/structure of 7 slightly outclasses the better dungeon design of 6, at least in my book.

The nice thing about the Might and Magic series is that until game 9 there wasn't a truly horrible game in the lot. 8 was a little aged at release and was too easy, but it's still a fun game. 1 and 2 aren't reallly playable anymore, but were great in the day.

My personal favorite M&M is World of Xeen followed closely by 3, 6 and 7. 8 is a little weaker, but still a good game. I haven't played 1 and 2 and got fed up with 9 quite quickly.

Bad analogy. ;) Well the ancient is a bit… Are you referring to the 2003 reissue with the 2 extra studio runthroughs? :p

I know, I know. I just mentioned it to prove how dedicated I can be. Sort of.

pibbur who contemplates listening to the second half of UmmaGumma.

I know, I know. I just mentioned it to prove how dedicated I can be. Sort of.

pibbur who contemplates listening to the second half of UmmaGumma.

Which he did.

.. several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave.

...as opposed to several species of small, no longer furry animals, gathered together in a meat locker/deep freeze :D

Back on topic, I'm not sure if MMIX will get a replay this time or not. I may just do 7,8,6 or 7,6,8 and then head back to Skyrim.

I play through 6-8 more or less annually these days. MM7 is probably my favorite, but the others are excellent as well.

I don't play MM9. I did once back in the days, but I doubt I'll do so again anytime soon.

Back on topic, I'm not sure if MMIX will get a replay this time or not. I may just do 7,8,6 or 7,6,8 and then head back to Skyrim.
I wouldn't save 8 for last. It's primary sin was being "more of the same, not done quite as well", and I think that after investing the significant time in 6, 7, or both, that you'll find 8 to be very disappointing. Maybe do a countdown?

Sometimes I wonder where you guys get the time to finish huge games such as the MM series. I have been contemplating replaying MM7 since reading this thread (and actually finishing it this time)…

But then I stumbled onto adventuregamers.com (again, for the umptieth time), and in particular "The Book of Unwritten Tales" (I remember I certain German here recommending it, + lots of others). I'm getting depressed just looking at all the games I want to play (and don't know where to start), oh well, one game at a time probably.

But first I have to finish my ps3 wishlist ;-)

OT:
I love the implentation of progression in MM6~. I agree that there is a distinct feeling of accomplishment when your archer can learn magic at expert and master and becomes the Grandmaster of Bow. The first black potion that your Druid makes or learning Shrapmetal once you've succumbed to the Dark path are just a couple other examples. It gives the player a constant sense of accomplishment. Achievements are an example of a newer model that try to do the same thing, but I haven't played a game with achievements that has reached the level of satisfaction I get from becoming fully promoted in an MM game.
I especially like it when character development is integrated into the game world and/or storyline over the course of the *whole* game (leading to late introductions of gameplay mechanics in the story). E.g., joining a guild in Gothic 2 gives a sense of belonging, joining the guard in morrowind or the prestige classes of NWN 2, ...

But these examples are quite simple and don't really have any impact on the world/story imo.

Sometimes I wonder where you guys get the time to finish huge games such as the MM series. I have been contemplating replaying MM7 since reading this thread (and actually finishing it this time)…
I sleep 2h/night less than the average person, and I hardly ever watch TV. I don't think that was the answer you wanted to hear though ;)

I never watch TV, been married for 20 years but have no children, and get about 4 hours a night during the week and some weekends I get 10 hours/day. I basically work, game, and sleep. I also play only pc and only crpgs (some hybrids), so that limits the damage too. It's not the life for everyone, but it seems to work for me.

Back
Top Bottom