First-Person Shooters that was not short on story/atmosphere

Heck, I'd even be satisfied with a simple patch that would at least allow 640x480.

Not a patch, but with DOSBox you can upscale low resolutions in, well, DOS games. ;). It has some built in engines that make the image look a bit better. Here's a small example:

df-1x.gif
df-super2xsai.jpg

Showing a scene from Dark Forces. Left is what you'd see with 320x200, right is the same using the "Super2xSaI" scaler.

D-Fend is a pretty good frontend for DOSBox, you just need to add "super2xsai" manually to "scale" in extras->change dynamic options.

I'm actually very surprised that DF was never re-released with some extra options, as popular as it was.

I mean, why would they spruce it up for the Mac and not the PC?

Actually, Dark Forces is released on Playstation, so if you do not want mouse control you can play the game in 1920x1440 with antialising, anisotrophic filthering and alot of other gee whizz effects by using one of the modern playstation emulators.
It also supports saving everywhere.

Another thing ruined by consoles ... ;)
Gotta agree on this one. A bit ironic though, given that it's console titles that tend to have save points rather than PC games.

Gotta agree on this one. A bit ironic though, given that it's console titles that tend to have save points rather than PC games.

True - checkpoint based systems are the bane of modern gaming and are directly taken from limited memory early consoles.

My thought was that here is a game that is designed and balanced around mission completion ... and they had to mess it up ...

Actually, Dark Forces is released on Playstation, so if you do not want mouse control you can play the game in 1920x1440 with antialising, anisotrophic filthering and alot of other gee whizz effects by using one of the modern playstation emulators.
It also supports saving everywhere.

No thanks, just wouldn't be the same. I want to play the original PC version, except in higher resolution.

Back
Top Bottom