Diablo 3 - Release Date Rumor

magerette

Hedgewitch
Gamebanshee posts a link to the latest Diablo III rumor over at Kaputik.com. They cite "associates working on a Diablo 3 game design" and give both a MP beta release date and a retail release date, along with system specs:
The release date for the online beta multiplayer trial version is currently set to:
11th September, 2009
The final version, available for purchase is to be released before Christmas:
24th December, 2009
The system requirements are likely to be:

PC:
Operating System: Windows XP/ Vista
Processor: 1.4GHz or higher CPU.
RAM: 1Gb or more.
Video: 128Mb video card Dx9
Hard Drive Space: 4-8GB

Mac:
Operating System: MacOS X 10.3 (Panther) or better.
Processor:1.6GHz or higher.
RAM: 1Gb or higher, DDR RAM recommended.
Video: 128mb ATI or NVIDIA video card
Hard Drive Space: 4-8 GB
Diablo III generates a lot of unsubstantiated talk, so only time will tell how correct this info is.
More information.

I dunno, the system reqs could be accurate. Don't remember any blizzard game that was in any way demanding on the hardware. Hell, the original Diablo only had 1 resolution, didn't it?

Anyway, the release date speculation is always dangerous with Blizzard since they only seem to have two development speeds: 'As fast as the turle' and 'As speedy as the glacier'.

Damn if this is true, even my old gig here can run this too :)

Didn't Blizzard say that they will release only one game this year?

I'm not a hardware expert, but to me these specs look unrealistic. I mean, yeah, the Diablos were never about the graphics, but 1.4GHz processor? Hm. What was the last game with such low requirements? Unless there's going to be a big difference between 'minimal' and 'recommended' system specs, and I thought I read how they wanted DX10 in Diablo3.

Blizzard said in annual report to the board there will be one frontline release in 2009. Many have speculated that release to be D3, not SC2. Add to that, the rumor Blizzard is working on a sci-fi mmo and I don't think it a huge leap that SC2 evolves into world of SC with a 2011/2012 release.

Utter BS, especially the system requirements part. Someone has way too much time on their hands but no brains at all.

Many have speculated that release to be D3, not SC2. Add to that, the rumor Blizzard is working on a sci-fi mmo and I don't think it a huge leap that SC2 evolves into world of SC with a 2011/2012 release.

I honestly don't know where you got that. It's pretty common knowledge that the beta for SC2 is very much around the corner, meaning in 2-3 months, maybe less. So D3 this year is definitely a no-go. Especially since last time I've heard Jay Wilson talk about how far along they are, he said they're barely finishing up Act1, D3 having 4 acts.

Regarding the new mmo, I believe I've read that Blizzard confirmed that the new mmo will be a new IP. Meaning nothing related to Diablo, Warcraft or Starcraft.

I don't think it a huge leap that SC2 evolves into world of SC with a 2011/2012 release.

That...would be awful. But, back to D3. Just a couple of months back, someone on the dev team stated that the remaining 2 classes weren't completed yet (one wasn't much past the design phase), and significant work needed to be done on the content. That doesn't leave a lot of time for spit and polish (Blizzard's hallmark, after all), if they plan on a 2009 release. Besides, isn't there an algebraic formula for Blizzard's final release of any given product, based on the first date mentioned, and containing more than a few exponents for the variable (t) ...

On D3, once the engine and classes are done, adding acts is trivial given Blizzard's manpower.

Time will tell on these rumors. As someone who gives a rats arse about SC2 I hope these rumors are true.

We've had plenty of good SCI-FI RTS the past few years thanks to Relic and the Supreme Commander crew. However, we have had craptastic aRPG releases.

On D3, once the engine and classes are done, adding acts is trivial given Blizzard's manpower.
It's not just create content non-stop and cram it in. Blizzard is notorious for re-iterating on content until it shines. And then they test it some more. Blizzard's manpower is divided in 4 directions, WoW, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, new mmo. And I've heard that only about 30-40 people are on D3. The same for SC2. Imo I wouldn't hold my breath for D3 until way into 2010.

We've had plenty of good SCI-FI RTS the past few years thanks to Relic and the Supreme Commander crew. However, we have had craptastic aRPG releases.
Yeah, they're good. That's why we need SC2 which is going to be great. :D

And I've heard that only about 30-40 people are on D3. The same for SC2.

Ya, I guess that is why it is such a crap-shoot. You've heard same sized teams, Kotaku (see my link in pvs post) has heard D3 transitioning to an all-hands-on-deck mode.

I guess we will know when they want us to know.

Here is confirmation that the SC2 beta will take place in 2009. From a Blizzard developer. I'm guessing much more reliable than an anonymous source that kotaku had.

Plus all the win-beta-keys-for-SC2 contents that Blizzard has. It's pretty much guaranteed that SC2 will come this year, and very soon after beta will end.

That...would be awful. But, back to D3. Just a couple of months back, someone on the dev team stated that the remaining 2 classes weren't completed yet (one wasn't much past the design phase), and significant work needed to be done on the content. That doesn't leave a lot of time for spit and polish (Blizzard's hallmark, after all), if they plan on a 2009 release. Besides, isn't there an algebraic formula for Blizzard's final release of any given product, based on the first date mentioned, and containing more than a few exponents for the variable (t) ...

They could always release the game with the three classes they've finished and add the others in an expansion--they've been known to do crazy stuff like that. :)

Still, I'm not wagering large sums of real money on getting the game this year, even though it's a promising sign they've revved up all the PR. If we keep getting more screens, more trailers, more interviews, etc exponentially as we get closer to quarter four, I'll be more likely to believe in it.

Hell, the original Diablo only had 1 resolution, didn't it?

Yep. If I remember, 800*600 was one of the bullet points for the expansion.

I call BS on this rumor. No way D3 is before SC2, unless they really pulled the wool over our eyes. My prediction for the "one major release per year" schedule is this:

• 2009 - StarCraft 2
  • 2010 - Unamed WOW expansion
  • 2011 - Diablo 3
  • 2012 - Another WOW expansion
  • 2013 - Blizzard feverently hopes nobody remembers that one-per-year crap.
  • 2014 - Yet another WOW expansion
  • 2015 - Nextgen MMO

WoW Expansions don't count in the 1 game per year thing. They have said many times that they aim to put one of those out every year. There's no way than can only put out one WoW expansion per year and hold on to their customer base, people have already been out of content for some time now, clammouring for 3.1. They will aim to release one WoW expansion per year, irrespective of other releases.

Also bear in mind that the first two SC2 expansions are effectively already announced.

I'd say probably SC2 this year, and D3 next year, but then again, 'when it's done' probably also means that they won't hold a game back from release just to adhere to some silly and arbitrary 'one game per year' schedule.

My advice is to remain sceptical of everything Blizzard puts out related to release dates. They've never EVER kept any initial date - at least not to my knowledge.

Their games are notoriously late - and I think that's a good thing, because that's largely why they have their reputation of polish and quality. That said, their latest expansion for WoW - and numerous patches before that - seem to indicate they've grown less determined, as would seem a common evolution for companies getting that fat and content with themselves.

They've TALKED about doing this or that, but that's another matter entirely.

If you want a proper Diablo 3 - you're more than likely going to have to wait until 2010, and whatever they say they MIGHT do won't matter.

Basically, when it's done is the thing.

Back
Top Bottom