GOG Galaxy Beta

I got emailed a beta key for this today and have it installed. Think a lighter version of steam and you'll be on the right track. I like it a lot. The options area shows that certain things like automatic updates are on the way but not available just yet. I knew this would launch in time for W3 and now it's even closer. Anyone else get it?

Edit - attached screenshot.

Attachments

• goggalaxy.jpg
    goggalaxy.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 112
  • goggalaxy2.jpg
    goggalaxy2.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 113
Oo, I like it!

I only got the alpha key, just a couple days ago. Hopefully they go ahead and send me a beta one too. I'd like to give it a try, since I haven't gotten to yet...

Nice. Do you have screens hots of the new user profile, achievements and what kind of info they display?

I quite like that.

The last couple of years have seen Steam been very stable for me, and Origin/Uplay also reasonably stable so I'm open to another client like this.

Hopefully this will be a big step forward for GOG. I don't have much use for it myself, since I don't want auto-updates, and I already organise my games with LaunchBox.

I have wanted GOG Galaxy for awhile now. Glad that it's hopefully coming out sometime soon.

I have to say, I'm not fond of it throwing things on my desktop. But other than that it's pretty sharp.

Hopefully this will be a big step forward for GOG. I don't have much use for it myself, since I don't want auto-updates, and I already organise my games with LaunchBox.

…I want you to know that you've blown my mind today, Ripper. :) I had no idea LaunchBox even existed. You're indirectly responsible for me finding an .iso of Ultimate Domain, one of my favorite games as a teenager. Not the crappy old Genesia, but the CD version of Ultimate Domain. And I'd never have thought to look if you hadn't mentioned LaunchBox and inspired me to look.

So thank you for that! :)

I'm pretty much a steam only kinda guy, Uplay or Origin will never exist on my computers. However, with GoG's track record in mind, I'll be open to seeing exactly just how this one plays out. I have faith in Good Old Games.

…I want you to know that you've blown my mind today, Ripper. :) I had no idea LaunchBox even existed. You're indirectly responsible for me finding an .iso of Ultimate Domain, one of my favorite games as a teenager. Not the crappy old Genesia, but the CD version of Ultimate Domain. And I'd never have thought to look if you hadn't mentioned LaunchBox and inspired me to look.

So thank you for that! :)

I'm very glad you're enjoying it.

I find it really nice to have all my games set up in one clean collection, and it lets me keep the configs that require lots of fiddling (like DOSboxes and emulators) permanently saved, so I can forget about how I got them working.

Very clean, I like it.

GoG has slowly worked its way into becoming part of my desktop repertoire and has earned its place by Steam. When given a choice between the two, my games will go into GoG (mostly for the DRM Free stance.)

So long as games like Dragon Age or Mass Effect exist I will also have Origin installed. But it's not on my bootup list nor do I ever frequent it. Not saying they couldn't eventually get my attention as a staple but so far it's not happening. They still come off as petulantly taking away their games and trying to be the next Steam to me.

I believe I installed Uplay when I got Might & Magic X, haven't seen it since though.

I'm looking forward to Galaxy being released. About 90% of my PC game library is split between Steam and GOG, it will nice to have an easy client/launcher for GOG.

Indeed, Neph. I have so many GOG games that it will be really sweet to see them all in a clean, easy to use desktop app.

I actually like all these different desktop apps for games. It sort of organizes me much more than I ever could do myself. :lol:

They really needed this kind of launcher!
I got a key too and so far so good. I got a weird bug though when I had a game already installed on my PC that the client found and updated: after the update I got a force restart of my PC without any warning whatsoever.

Can you use this client to make sure your files are up to date and then turn it off again? Does it integrate with the games or does it let you be? I'm strictly no DRM, no integration, no social features, no achievements. Just let me buy my game, download it and play it. So I don't want a STEAM lite, but I think there's a lot of value in using it to organise your library.

From what I saw you can do that yes.
For example I had an old Shadowrun Returns installed on my PC, when I clicked "Install" in Gog Galaxy he found the game and patched it (downloaded a few Mo).
And for now there are no overlay or integrated stuff like Steam but I don't know if that will be the final product.

Back
Top Bottom