The Bard's Tale IV - Now on Kickstarter

Won't back this. I don't feel like I'll have fun with a dungeon crawler these days.

Won't back this. I don't feel like I'll have fun with a dungeon crawler these days.

U WOT M8

2112866-169_legend_grimrock_ot_pc_112811.jpg

If the game was based on Grimrock I wouldn't back it as well. I never played the original Bards Tale games. But I hope for something in the direction of Might and Magic, with some exploration, with some NPCs and some story. Not just grinding a dungeon and doing some riddles.

a deeper RPG would be cool, but not with their limited funds. They'd have to compromise on too many things.

So much negativity. There is PLENTY of room for a dungeon-crawler RPG like this game, and I wish them nothing but success! I've been having a lot of fun with Elminage Gothic, a PC dungeon-crawler RPG, and look forward to more challenging games like it.

Not super excited, but I have faith in them and will back it. Has it controller support ?

Not backing due to burnout, but I certainly hope they'll have more to offer than LoG did. Although crawlers are my favorite RPG subgenre, I have yet to finish either of those games because of how monotonous and repetitive they are.

The original Bard's Tale is simply too old for many to remember; Fargo should have really had a techo demo + list of intended features on the kickstarter's launch day.

Yea, I was not impressed with that video. I'm sorry, but i just wasn't.

I don't get how showing their deluxe studio located in ritzy Newport Beach, (for those that don't know, Newport Beach is a very wealthy area, lots of multimillionaires and celebrities hang out there. I happen to be very familiar with the area, and have been there several times on vacations because I have distant family relations who own a very small and modest beach house there) and then having some scripted conversation with your son is going to appeal to people to want them to buy your game.

Similarly, it is probably not a great idea to show off your Ferrari in a video where you are asking for money as well.

Just got a bad taste from the video, I also agree they should have had real footage prepared, and talked much more about details of the game.

Yea, I was not impressed with that video. I'm sorry, but i just wasn't.

I don't get how showing their deluxe studio located in ritzy Newport Beach, (for those that don't know, Newport Beach is a very wealthy area, lots of multimillionaires and celebrities hang out there. I happen to be very familiar with the area, and have been there several times on vacations because I have distant family relations who own a very small and modest beach house there) and then having some scripted conversation with your son is going to appeal to people to want them to buy your game.

Similarly, it is probably not a great idea to show off your Ferrari in a video where you are asking for money as well.

Just got a bad taste from the video, I also agree they should have had real footage prepared, and talked much more about details of the game.

Hold on sec, he has Ferrari and he want money from KS? I thought it was rented or something ... :)

Hold on sec, he has Ferrari and he want money from KS? I thought it was rented or something … :)

Well, to be entirely fair, he did say they would match the amount raised, $1.25 million, with their own money to make the game. But yea, I don't know for sure of course, but I'm betting that was his Ferrari in the video that his son was driving. The guy is very successful obviously, and there is nothing wrong with that, don't get me wrong.

I just don't think it was the best choices to make in the video when pitching a game on kickstarter.

Who cares if he has a Ferrari?

He also said they were trying to raise $1.25 million and they would match another $1.25 million of their own money on top of it.

Are you guys jealous or something? Let the guy live.

Get off your high horse… I don't care if he has a Ferrari or whatnot. However if people with money flood KS with their request, then there will be less money for the struggling/indie developers. I was under the impression that InXile, Obsidian et el are "struggling" or trying to stay afloat developers…

You're going to say who is "allowed" to ask for money on Kickstarter, and I'm the one on the high horse? :lol:

There's not going to be "less money" for anyone. Let them make their money and provide a great product in return.

If the game was based on Grimrock I wouldn't back it as well. I never played the original Bards Tale games. But I hope for something in the direction of Might and Magic, with some exploration, with some NPCs and some story. Not just grinding a dungeon and doing some riddles.
Exactly my opinion. With LoG I was bored after 2 o 3 levels (real time mediocre combat didn't help much either) while I just couldn't stop playing M&MX from start to end. Hoping for something more in that vein.

Get off your high horse… I don't care if he has a Ferrari or whatnot. However if people with money flood KS with their request, then there will be less money for the struggling/indie developers. I was under the impression that InXile, Obsidian et el are "struggling" or trying to stay afloat developers…

That old argument is absolute nonsense if you think about it for even a moment. Without Brian Fargo's championship of Kickstarter and generous support for other projects, likely other smaller outfits would get much less.

It's not as if there is a fixed pool of money that is being divided up like a cake, because in reality Kickstarter pledges at the starting level are a very small % of people's income.

The excitement generated by projects such as this add life to and revitalise Kickstarter not hive funds from other projects.

People from poor countries get to "buy" good games cheaper and developers get no attachments funds to make a game they want. Win-win for everyone.
Oh and some neckbears get to buy overprices boxes and shit :p

I never click on embedded videos myself (learned NOT to do that during the 90's), but it is pretty easy to read a pitch and suss out whether it is doable or not. It is also nice to know what person/team will be doing the work, and between those two pieces of information, that's how I've backed over eighty kickstarters so far. As of now, I've only been disappointed twice.

I don't get how showing their deluxe studio located in ritzy Newport Beach...

Yeah, it probably wasn't the best idea to flaunt how successful and affluent you have become on the backs of your audience while having your hand out asking for more.
But, he seems like a decent guy so I'll ask him if I can drive the Ferrari I helped pay for. :)

LOL, did you watch the same video I did? Did you see that office? I don't think they're dumping any money to be in "ritzy Newport Beach". It was 40 guys cramped into a 3 cubes worth of room. You couldn't pay me enough to work in that room...ok, you could, but it'd have to be a lot more than I'm making now.....

Who gives a hoot if it was Fargo's Ferrari or not? I'd be sad if after 30 years of success and making a name for himself if Fargo couldn't afford a Ferrari! The stupid thing was probably rented anyhow, Google maps says there's several exotic rental dealerships within blocks of their address.

Also, I'm pretty sure that's not Brian's kid but a professional kid actor ( they're only a few miles from Hollywood after all).

Otherwise, yes, I hope the game is a lot more MMX than LOG. I beat MMX 5 times I think, love that game. I'll definitely be backing Bards Tale but I'd love to see some gameplay footage.

This is funny...rpg fans who haven't played or heard of bards tale..."hope it will be like might and magic..." my god...

Back
Top Bottom