Gothic 3 Is Gothic 3 worth it?

Bodycount02

Watcher
Hey guys

Im a big fan of the Gothic Series, and ive waited a while to see if some of the patches fix this game up. Im planning on buying it today or 2morrow, and what i want to ask all of you is: Is this game worth buying? I would love your input on it asap. Thanks!

Peace
Bodycount

That really depends on what you expect and if you have a computer that can handle it. Performance can be a little disappointing if you don't have enough RAM; minimum should be 2 GB, really! Also, some people have complained about a thin plot and flat dialogue in comparison to the previous games.

As with all series, you should just consider this a separate product and not be biased. Give it a chance and if you can get smooth gameplay, I'm sure you'll be able to enjoy it as it still has lots of the exploration and atmosphere that made the first two so great!

My opinion is that if you have the hardware to run it, it is *definitely* worth playing. You should have read some reviews by now to get a flavor for some of the bugs and issues. None of them are insurmountable, but they are there. I heartily recommend it if you are a fan.

I would also say it´s worth buying. Just don´t expect it to be that similar to G1 & G2. Gothic 3 offers more freedom on cost of a deep story and rich character interaction.

Your PC should have no less than than 1.5 GB RAM and a graphics card with shader model 3. It technically runs with 1 GB and shader model 1.4, but this is certainly not something you want.

Since you have waited this long already I would consider waiting till the next patch/addon.

If you really like the Gothic series, I'd suggest you buy the game. Try the demo first to see if the game runs smoothly enough for you. I don't know if I'm the only one here or if there are others who share my opinion, but I really liked the combat system in GI & GII and the dumbed down combat system is one of the only things that really disappoint me.
Bugs don't bug me, they can be repaired, but I hope they bring back the old combat system where it's not just a clickfest.
If you prefer clicking and you like exploring and solving quests then this game is certainly for you.

My real suggestion is to try the demo first, you will have a general idea of how the game is and will be once the last patch comes out.
Bjorn is right too.

Ty for ur input....i run the demo on max everything...and i do love the gothic series, so i will give it a shot.

If your computer can handle it, it's definetly worth it. Amazing game! :)

So can i try crack? Ive waited long for that as well....soo very long i cant do it anymore *snoooooort* aaaaaaaah

I loved it, but hey, i'm fanatic anyways. All i can tell is "it's worthy"

What is the difficulty, as compared to the other Gothics?

I played and thoroughly enjoyed Gothic, but really got my tail handed to me in Gothic II, to the point that it wasnt even fun anymore. It's hard to get the enthusiasm to play something that isnt fun, when it feels like youre not making progress. Now I am talking about Gothic II gold here, and I understand that it's supposedly harder than the standard edition.

How does Gothic III compare??

Gothic 3 is much easier than G2: NotR. If you exploit the crappy AI, you can beat dragons on level 1. Combat in Gothic 3 can be frustrating because there is an element of randomness involved (usually when you get stun-locked it's over) so you will sometimes get killed in a fight, reload and then walk away without a scratch the next time. The game doesn't have a very good combat system in general (to put it friendly).
The fights are generally easy though and you can win quite easily against tougher critters even at the lower levels if you exploit the AI and/or if you make good use of the terrain (jump on rocks, when they come after you, jump down, jump on the next rock, jump down again, run circles around them etc etc etc).
Unfortunately, it's really way too random. Sometimes you will slice your way through a dozen orcs or more without getting hit even once and then you come across a lone wolf two minutes later and *wham* *smack* *stun-lock* ... DEAD, leaving you with a major 'WTF' expression on your face.

It's when you get stuck in "ugh-ow-ugh-ow" getting-hit hell :) . In other words: When a critter literally nails you and hits you very fast in very rapid succession so that you can't break free of the attack or gain back the initiative. Often times you will die in 2 - 3 seconds without a chance to react if you get stun-locked (your only chance is to press the right mouse button like mad and pray). They have toned it down some with the latest 1.12 patch for some creatures (like the former "killer boars of death" ;) ) but it still exists.
I haven't gone to Varant or Nordmar yet but in Myrtana one of the hardest creatures (seriously) is the common wolf because they are pretty good at stun-locking. It's really annoying. You will want to save early and often in Gothic 3 ;) .

Stun lock = you are sometimes not able to interrupt your enemy's attack sequence.

Patch 1.12 addresses this in most cases.

Well, G3 is already so fucking cheap in North America that it´s not worth worrying about. Just buy it and write off the 10 bucks if you think it´s crap.

Definitely give it a go. Like you, I'd held out because I'd heard it was buggy and unbalanced. I have to admit, the balance is somewhat awry (particularly in the combat department), but it's so much fun to explore the world. And I haven't encountered anything too serious on the bug/performance front. Definitely worth the cash.

P.S. Keep a magazine/book on hand for those "quick" loads when you do get taken down by a lone wolf, normally straight after single handedly taking out a whole Orc city. But don't let that put you off!

Back
Top Bottom