Suggest Some FPS Games

T

Toff

I haven't paid much attention to FPS games in quite a while. Suggest some fun single player ones for me please. A great story is a must and I do enjoy good graphics.

Worst case I stick it on the wishlist and wait for a super sale.

Far Cry 3.
Once again, if every FPS was like that one, I'd be FPSing all day long.

You want a great sorty? Good graphics?
Forgeddit. FC3 has superb story and superb graphics!

Crysis, any fear game with 1 and 3 being the best, dues ex human revolution , farcry 3 and 4,metro 2033 redux and metro last light.

Not a FPS but a great 3rd person shooter with very good story is spec ops the line.

Best ones off the top of my head. Imo.

All of the Bioshock games, Half-Life 1&2, the Wolfenstein series starting with Return to Castle Wolfenstein, The Metro games, F.E.A.R. and F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point.

Crysis, any fear game with 1 and 3 being the best, dues ex human revolution , farcry 3 and 4,metro 2033 redux and metro last light.

Not a FPS but a great 3rd person shooter with very good story is spec ops the line.

+1 for Spec ops :The line od you are ok with third person action.Game has really great dark story and good acting.As for fps, bioshock series is one of my favorite overall in any genre, far cry 3 would be my second recommendation.

Some others which I've really enjoyed back in the day, but I'm not sure how well they've aged graphically, were the No One Lives Forever series and C&C Renegade. At least, I think Renegade got a visual makeup from the fans, from what I've heard. Renegade was just great. Set in the Tiberium universe of C&C, plenty of good action, great one-lines from the main character, I remember having a blast.

I'm surprised no one mentioned STALKER yet? Very atmospheric and immersive shooter, maybe a little lighter on story though.
I can recommend the "Shadow of Chernobyl" and "Call of Pripyat" ones. No experience with "Clear Sky".

Other than that, I add my vote to Far Cry 3 and the Metro games.

Thanks, I have some games on the wishlist now. The FEAR games are all 75 percent off right now FYI.

I'm surprised no one mentioned STALKER yet? Very atmospheric and immersive shooter, maybe a little lighter on story though.
I can recommend the "Shadow of Chernobyl" and "Call of Pripyat" ones. No experience with "Clear Sky".

I think the STALKER games are fantastic, but I assumed he was looking for more of a pure FPS experience. I've always considered STALKER to more of a shooter/RPG hybrid.

The new alien game is neat....Bioshock games like others have said....

Bioshock series. Its a pretty intelligent FPS with lots of fun combat and different ways to play. I love mindless shooters too. Painkiller is my favorite for that category. The whole series is great. Tastes like Chicken!

Of course, I needn't mention System Shock and System Shock 2 - though they aren't exactly "shooters" in the pure sense of the word, and they're old. But they both have great stories - and they're games you really DO need to play before you die :)

I should have been more specific but it does not have to be pure shooters. I'm just in a first person shooter(ish) mood.

I've played:
Bioshock 1 & 2, totally forgot about the third.
Metro 2033
Portal 2
Alot of the older games I have played (up to about year 2000), I can't even remember all of them anymore.

Anyway, thanks as I've put almost everything above on my wishlist and will pick them up as they show up on sales.

I should have been more specific but it does not have to be pure shooters. I'm just in a first person shooter(ish) mood.

I've played:
Bioshock 1 & 2, totally forgot about the third.
Metro 2033
Portal 2
Alot of the older games I have played (up to about year 2000), I can't even remember all of them anymore.

Anyway, thanks as I've put almost everything above on my wishlist and will pick them up as they show up on sales.

Well, I can't recommend Bioshock Infinite enough. Of all the ones mentioned, I think it has the best story by far.

Deus Ex:HR is also quite fantastic.

If you're talking about FPS-ish - then I would also consider the first two Dead Space games. They're not first person - but they're close enough in terms of playstyle.

They also have decent stories, and I particularly liked the story in the second game.

You can skip the third one, though, as it's not that good.

Oh yes, I forgot about Deus Ex: HR. It was so good I even got the first one recently and put the graphics patch on it but have not done much in it as I am dabbling in Wasteland 2 for the moment.

Now the Dead Space games are on the list also. I have alot of catching up to do, I need a few months of vacation ….

Last edited:

Have you played the Assassin's Creeds? If you don't mind a pirate setting and killing with a blade/gun combo, Black Flag is a really great game or AC2 + Revelations + Brotherhood if you want to play the more classic Ezio trilogy in Renaissance Italy.
You could also try the new-ish (2013) Tomb Raider. Great level design and the gameplay is also quite OK, though it's lacking the challenge level of previous games.
Or if you're in the mood for a more exotic shooter setting in case you tire of the military shooter stuff, then the Call of Juarez games (the original one and Bound in Blood... The Cartel is supposedly pretty poor and Gunslinger is supposed to be decent but it's a totally different arcade sort of style like what Blood Dragon is to FarCry 3). If you like a Wild West setting for a change of scenery, then there is lots of fun to be had in the CoJ games with Reverend Ray and his little bro Billie.

Now the Dead Space games are on the list also.

If you find yourself in the mood for more of a survival-horror type of experience, Dead Space 1&2 are among the best of that kind. In fact, I'd even say those are two of my favorite games regardless of genre.

I'll +1 Spec Ops, Call of Juarez bound in Blood, & Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, & Painkiller
I really found Bulletstorm fun as far as the popamole shooters go.

The Borderlands games are some of my favorite games of all time.

Back
Top Bottom