Icewind Dale 2 - Searching the Sourcecode

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Beamdog can't find the sourcecode for Icewind Dale 2:

Real Talk - Icewind Dale II, Enhanced Edition Patch Progress, and a Beamdog Client Update

Icewind Dale II

In the last few weeks, Enhanced Edition fans who follow Trent on Twitter may have noticed few tweets like these.

At this time, the source code for Icewind Dale II can not be found. We’ve reached out to former developers and publishers with no luck. No one seems to know where it’s got to. Consider this our open call to fans for the code, patched or otherwise.

We’d love to complete the Infinity Engine series and bring you all the game you’ve been asking for, but to make Icewind Dale II: Enhanced Edition a possibility, having that source code, preferably patched, is needed before we can even start assessing whether the project is doable.

UPDATE: If you personally have a copy of the code, we'd love to get in touch. Please do not contact former developers and other IWD2 team members on our behalf.

Enhanced Edition Patches

As mentioned in previous posts, the team is hard at work on iOS 64 bit patches to ensure Enhanced Edition players will be able to continue enjoying their games after iOS 11 is released. These patches will be released game-by-game in the months ahead, starting with Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition and will include a few bug fixes, but the focus will be on 64 bit compatibility.

The real fun begins once the 64 bit iOS patch series is complete. Planning has only just started on the patches for the Enhanced Edition titles beyond what we’re currently working on so committing to specific release dates, bug fixes, and features at this point is difficult. What we can say right now is that the next update series for BG:EE, BGII:EE, and IWD:EE will include the following:

• Bug fixes and lots of them
  • A selection of community-requested features
  • 64 bit compatibility on all platforms
  • Restored multiplayer compatibility on all platforms
  • All stores updated to the latest version (Yes, even the Mac App store)
  • Completed localizations
  • And more!
Our attention is currently on BG:EE, BGII:EE, and IWD:EE, but we haven’t forgotten about Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition. As soon as we have more about updates on that front, we’ll be sure to share it!
Beamdog Client Update
A small patch for the Beamdog Client will be released today with the following updates:

• Fixes for a few reported user issues
  • Spanish and Italian localization for the Client
  • An updated version of the Beamdog logo
Thanks rjshae!

More information.

Trent Oster‏* said:
So far we have made no progress finding the source code for Icewind Dale II. Archives have been searched, with no success.

Good! Basically, there aren't mods to rip off. Don't send these bums any code!

If Beamdog is ever going to make another new IE-based game release, IWD2 code would be preferable. D&D v3 is a much more logical system than AD&D.

Hmm, that's unfortunate. I would have thought one of the ex-Black Isle developers/programmers would have access to the source code, perhaps even someone at Obsidian. I wonder if Josh Sawyer has any ideas? He was the lead designer for it.

Then that's the new gaming industry trend, not being able to find/recover the original source code of games!?!? That's what, the third time or so this year we heard about source codes being lost ???

Good riddance. I was not interested in Icewind Dale 2 in the first place. And I did buy and enthusiastically play the first one. I actually loved the game, Icewind Dale. It was an incredibly fun dungeon crawl. But the sequel was designed by J. Sawyer, and that was enough to put me (and a few others) off immediately. I then (at the time) read about and hated most of the changes they made to the game under his direction as well.

And also, it makes me wonder - Can't beamdog develop its own game by now? Jesus Christ. They have had enough practice, you'd think so. I would be interested in a fresh new D&D inspired game in the Baldur's Gate style. And I don't want more rehashes. Are they just too inept or something to come up with an original game? Those are some thoughts that immediately come to my mind anyhow.

And also, it makes me wonder - Can't beamdog develop its own game by now? Jesus Christ. They have had enough practice, you'd think so. I would be interested in a fresh new D&D inspired game in the Baldur's Gate style. And I don't want more rehashes. Are they just too inept or something to come up with an original game? Those are some thoughts that immediately come to my mind anyhow.
They are if you kept up with the blog posting, and various news-posts on this site. They have hired David Gaider, and even posted job openings for a new RPG game.

Speculation is that it will be a new 5th edition adaptation with a new engine.

They are if you kept up with the blog posting, and various news-posts on this site. They have hired David Gaider, and even posted job openings for a new RPG game.

Well, that is good to hear. I'd be interested to see what they come up with. But not interested in more rehashes any longer. I got my fix with the Baldur's Gate enhanced edition and the Icewind Dale one too, those were the most important games in the series anyway, in my opinion.

I welcome more EE's, not only for IWD2 but Arcanum, ToEE, NWN and whatever else they want to do.

I haven't played IWD2 yet so I'm hoping they can get this going. Another co-op IWD game would be great.

I welcome more EE's, not only for IWD2 but Arcanum, ToEE, NWN and whatever else they want to do.
There was some talk about a possible NWN EE, but it has run into some problems. It's a shame assets, and various source codes are not archived like a central library.
Then that's the new gaming industry trend, not being able to find/recover the original source code of games!?!? That's what, the third time or so this year we heard about source codes being lost ???
Well it has been 15 years, and it's not like today where you can upload to the cloud.

It's weird, though, because a lot of musicians from way back still have their masters, mixes, etc.. Not sure why code in gaming isn't kept the same way.

It's weird, though, because a lot of musicians from way back still have their masters, mixes, etc.. Not sure why code in gaming isn't kept the same way.
True but developers & publishers get bought out, or close down over the last fifth-teen years, and in that time period things get lost, or shuffled around the office storage area.

It might be on floppy's, or CD's that got thrown away, or lost in some cardboard box.

Hey, if NASA can lose tapes of the first Moon landing... well stuff just gets lost.

I wouldn't mind a rewrite of iwd2 with updated graphics. I've played d:eek:s now a couple of time straight through (last month - lots of hour); and the more i play the more i appreciated iwd2 (though i'm appreciating it from memory as I have not played it a while). THe biggest dislike i have of these older games is that they have not scaled well to larger higher resolution monitors; the textures simply were not design for higher dot pitch and that is what I would like to see updated. I don't want everything smaller - i want the original layout on screen but with better fidelity. While I do not consider myself a graphic whore (you might disagree); the bottom line (imho) the change in density from 800x600 on a 12 inch screen is huge when going to 4k on a 27 inch screen.

Speculation is that it will be a new 5th edition adaptation with a new engine.

Having bought the three basic 5th edition books, I really hope they make a pretty good 5th Ed game, faithful (as much as possible) to the rules.

Yeah good luck to them. I'd like to see an ID2:EE. I only played it through once in the past.
And a Beamdog D&D game would be very welcome too. Hopefully they learned enough from Siege of Dragonspear (which was ok but flawed) to do a good job.

I'd fancy them obtaining the source code for ToEE and doing an IWD2:EE remake that way. Re-using old source code means less development work. Then again, who knows if the ToEE source code is still around…?

I wonder if anyone has wiz 8 source code ? Maybe brenda ? Kind of surprise nothing similar to it has been released in 15 + years.

Wizards and Warriors is similar.

Back
Top Bottom