RPGWatch - Official Game of the Decade Voting

Nonsense. The term "decade" clearly predates the reckoning of years we have AND the decimal system. It's just what it says, 10 years. So, the first decade of our reckoning is just that, the first ten years, followed by the second and third. If that happens not to fit your decimals, too bad, but just as with centuries and millennia, it doesn't change anything.
Alas, there is something that always beats logic, and that is the (mental) laziness of people…

Highly inaccurate assessment.

Time is measured differently to objects.

If you have 10 objects, then, yes, that dec includes the 10, because objects have no zero.

However, time includes an additional 0-1, so that upon your 10th birthday you have lived exactly 10 years, but all the following year, from 10.000000001 to 10.999999999 are time spent in your second decade, ergo, the age of 10 is the beginning of a new decade.

Since we are talking about time and not objects there is no other logic than beginning a new time decade upon the exact arrival of the Number+Zero.

anyone that knows anything about computers knows that the first number is zero, the second number is one, etc.

Its not confusing at all, especially to freshman.

Since there was no year zero in the Julian (and Gregorian) calendars obviously 2020 is end of the decade. Which looks like when this vote tally will be finished.
--

So how does this work? Do the first votes go into a giant pool and are sorted and arranged until its whittled down to the viable candidates. Then, those under 15% are removed from the pool and those who voted for them are free to vote for another candidate until we have a winner?

This sounds like Iowa.

I kept discovering many of my favorite games are now over a decade old! So I went on most hours played and memory and came up with the following top 3, in order of hours played and best memories:

Skyrim
Fallout 4
Pathfinder Kingmaker

Which I PM to Lackblogger.

Could bring up a lot of honorable mentions - dozens really, but as far as holding my attention and replay value, which indicates how much fun I am having, those three are clear winners.

...so that upon your 10th birthday you have lived exactly 10 years...
And everyones 10th birthday actually is there 11th birthday.
On a 10th birthday the count of occurrences of the day-month-combination of the date of someones birth is 11 over the span of a lifetime.

Human inaccuracies are always interesting!

The rules are clear, you can vote for whatever you want. Vote for Super Mario Bros for the NES in 1985 if you want.

… It just depends how much you want to embarrass yourself and this site… and that's entirely your choice…

Passive aggressive much? I was going to give you personal picks for various categories (most influential, best rpg, best narrative, etc), but I'll take a pass on your poll then. I clearly would not want to embarrass myself.

Only votes by PM count, if you wish to change your vote in anyway you have to use an official PM, I shan't be monitoring the thread to check on people editing their posts or the like. You are allowed to change your vote whenever you like though, so don't worry and don't panic, you've still got weeks to remember stuff and make any amendments.

Ok, I pmed you the addition.

My rather hasty, random list, in no particular order:

1. Battle Brothers
2. Kenshi
3. theHunter: Call of the Wild
4. ARMA II
5. Crusader Kings II
6. Pathfinder: Kingmaker
7. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
8. Divinity: Original Sin
9. Red Dead Redemption II
10. Fallout: New Vegas
11. X: Rebirth (Really, it could be any of the series, which I think deserves a mention. I haven't played enough of Foundations yet.)
12. Age of Decadence
13. NEO Scavenger

EDIT:
I'm sure no one here cares, but I really should add:
14. Rise of Flight
...and, hopefully, lastly...
15. Risen

Last edited:
Passive aggressive much? I was going to give you personal picks for various categories (most influential, best rpg, best narrative, etc), but I'll take a pass on your poll then. I clearly would not want to embarrass myself.

There's no passive aggressive, lol, please don't read it like that. It states in the OP that by GOTD we mean RPG of the decade, the clarification you requested is already there. It's only confusing if you don't read other people's posts.

However, people can vote for whatever hey want. There's no tyranny to the voting here, if you want Mario Bros NES edition to RPGwatch's GOTD no-one's going to stop you voting for it.

And yes, you can still give your personal picks for various categories, you can vote however you like.

My long list (it's 10 years after all), only RPGs, in alphabetical order, and with quite some differences from what has been posted :

Age of Decadence
Blackguards
Blackguards 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Director's Cut
Dishonored
Dishonored 2
Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition
Divinity: Original Sin II Definitive Edition
Dungeon Rats
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Fallout: New Vegas
Grim Dawn
Legend of Grimrock
Might & Magic X: Legacy
Pillars of Eternity
Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition
Shadowrun Returns
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Shadowrun: Hong Kong
Underrail
Wasteland 2

I'm not entirely sure what it is that makes it unclear, so I would like to hear from you what it is, so that I can perhaps make the text better. I never use the word shortlist, but am using the word voting a number of times.
Well I was initially unsure because in another thread it was said that the voting should follow the same rules as the GOTY votes. Indeed your actual posting here was quite clear. But then I read Couchpotato's list and was unsure again because to me it looked like a candidate list.

So for everyone who reads your initial posting only it should be clear enough.

My vote:
0,50 points: The Witcher 3
0,25 points: Mass Effect 2
0,25 points: Dragon Age: Origins

The RPGWatch numerical systems computer has declared that the previous decade has ended on December 31 2019 and the new decade started on January 1st 2020. As the RPGWatch numerical systems computer governs this and all other activities here at the Watch, we always bow to the wisdom of the RPGWatch numerical systems computer and just go with whatever it says.

P.S. A while ago we fed it Monthy Python’s The Meaning of Live and it answered with 24. We still have no clue what it means and are just bedazzled by the apparent wisdom of the RPGWatch numerical systems computer.

my vote - in no order:

Ara Fell
Battle Brothers
Divinity: Original Sin / Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition
Divinity: Original Sin II / Divinity: Original Sin II Definitive Edition
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Drakensang: The River of Time
Einlanzer
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
ELEX
Enderal: The Shards of Order
Fallout: New Vegas
GreedFall
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
King's Bounty: Crossworlds
Lords of Xulima
Might & Magic X: Legacy
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
The Great Gaias
The Legend Of Heroes: Trails In The Sky
The Legend Of Heroes: Trails In The Sky SC
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II
The Witcher 2
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Underrail
Valkyria Chronicles
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Vestaria Saga I: War of the Scions
Wasteland 2

Nonsense. The term "decade" clearly predates the reckoning of years we have AND the decimal system. It's just what it says, 10 years. So, the first decade of our reckoning is just that, the first ten years, followed by the second and third. If that happens not to fit your decimals, too bad, but just as with centuries and millennia, it doesn't change anything.
Alas, there is something that always beats logic, and that is the (mental) laziness of people…
Where this logic completely falls apart is that the years 1-10 weren't actually the "first ten years" in any real sense. You could say the first decade is 1 BC through 9 AD, and then it still contains 10 years. The years go back infinitely. We are talking about "decades", not "decades AD". Also keep in mind that the whole AD vs BC stuff didn't even come along until much later - when people were living in year 1, nobody called it year 1. No matter what you do, the result is going to be arbitrary - considering that which year is year 1 was determined arbitrarily and after-the-fact to begin with. Calling years xxx0 through xxx9 a "decade" makes the most sense to people both mentally and visually. Arguing otherwise is pedantic.

So all the votings we do are positive ones? Or can be give negative votings as well line on RPG codex, to basically "remove" positive gains by other voters?
E.g. could I name 2 games which I relly liked and one massive disappointment, so that it gets a reduction? Not that many game come to mind for that...but would be interesting to know.

So all the votings we do are positive ones? Or can be give negative votings as well line on RPG codex, to basically "remove" positive gains by other voters?
E.g. could I name 2 games which I relly liked and one massive disappointment, so that it gets a reduction? Not that many game come to mind for that…but would be interesting to know.

Maybe if you give them a weight of zero...

:biggrin:

Ok, I've read through the entire list and going by the dubious method of seeing what titles made me smile and think "Maybe that one?" I came up with the following list:

Mount&Blade Warband
Torment:ToN
Pillars of Eternity 1&2 (including expansions)
Wasteland 2
Kings Bounty Crossworlds
Shadowrun;Dragonfall
Underrail
Fallout:New Vegas

Honourable mentions that won't be included because I don't regard them as RPG's:
Eador:MOABW
FTL

Will read through the list again tomorrow before I submit my PM to Lackblogger.

Back
Top Bottom