[SPOILERS] Star Wars Films - Do You Prefer Prequels or Sequels?

Which post-OT Movie Trilogy do you prefer?

• Prequel Trilogy (1999-2005)

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Sequel Trilogy (2015-2019)

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Star Wars Ended in 1983 For Me

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters
Disney served well. They did not kill SW. They kept the passion alive.

I concede you have a point, but I honestly only felt frustrated after TFA. When watching TLJ I had lowered my expectations a lot so I left the cinema shrugging. I haven't watched ROS yet, nor Rogue 1 or Solo. I probably will at some point but I would say apathy is pretty close to the truth by now, at least in my case.

That said, I do take the time to bitch about my disappointment in this thread, so I agree there's some passion left. Give it a couple of more disappointing movies and it's probably gone. ;)

Or, and this is what is likely to happen, this frustration feeling will magnify the enjoyment of incoming material.

At last, Disney will have brought the SW people (supposedly used to) love back. The sensation of getting back something that was never taken from.

From the american system perspective, Disney is an exemplary servant. They have plans to take care of their customers from cradle to grave. Not only that, but they have plans to take care of their customers'dynasty. As anything american system, they think long term.

They provide items to their masters at age 3, with the thought of what it will be when they are 14, 25, 39, 51, 76. Products that will accompany their customers during stages of life.

The SW story line had issues. Disney cleared them out. Future is bright.

I think the first movie, Star Wars - at the time - was magical and was a worldwide phenomenon, deservedly. It was fresh and new and exciting, especially to kids.

The second film was good too, but missing a little of the same kind of magic.

The third film was the worst of the series, and somewhat disappointing.

There was a question asked, "How bad does a series have to get for you to give up on it?"

Well, I have a solid answer. "The Phantom Menace", 'nuff said. :p

Seriously, I couldn't believe how bad the Star Wars franchise had got when I saw that movie. It basically turned me off of the whole franchise and series. The trailers for the next movies also didn't help rekindle my interest, rather, they reinforced my decision, in my mind. (the awful trailers reflected the awful direction the movies took)

So, I have not seen, nor do I regret not seeing, any of the new movies. The only one I might choose to see, meaning rent one night, if especially bored, is Rogue One, and only because I have heard it may actually be a decent film, compared to the rest of the crap they have been putting out under the Star Wars label.

I never get how many folk don't rate ROTJ.

For me it's right up there with the first 2 movies, but just contains 3 or 4 crap Ewok scenes which drag it down. If you skip them it's 'kin brilliant.

The start is a lush look into really Luke coming to grips with his new powers, and I'm always buzzing when he kicks ass at the sarlac pit. The ending is absolutely immense, and the last duel the only film to have my hairs stand up everywhere in the cinema.

Even though the middle section does dip due to the overuse of ewoks, it's still got plenty to enjoy, and the ewok battle is fine & well edited alongside events on the Death Star.

I've not even got a problem with it having a 2nd Death Star. Yeah it's not original, but it serves it's purpose in context - a defiant Empire wanting to prove a point that it won't let rebels beat it, and can overcome anything the resistance put in it's way. Even the weak point is different due to the fact it's only halfway through full construction. That's nothing like TFA where it's just a blatant rip off of Star Wars & the weak spot makes no sense. I could have lived with a First Order Death Star had they learned from previous mistakes, and made it impenetrable against small fighters, with it's weakness being something like a co-ordinated set of explosions from various points inside the battle station etc.

We all know the score. The first films were a labour of love which slowly became more dollar focused over time, but always retained their soul & roots. TFA & the sequels were absolute trash pieces of shit designed with only money in mind by clueless, talentless hacks who have no creativity or soul.

All those involved in the originals should be hailed as heroes of our time for creating such inspiration, and introducing youth to good moral, life shaping concepts. Most of those involved in the sequels should be terminated with extreme prejudice.

Or, and this is what is likely to happen, this frustration feeling will magnify the enjoyment of incoming material.

At last, Disney will have brought the SW people (supposedly used to) love back. The sensation of getting back something that was never taken from.

Again, I highly doubt that's what's going to happen, but I'll be very happy to be proven wrong.

I've been watching a series of YouTube documentaries about Dr. Who recently.

I'm sure you can see the similarities between both Dr. Who and Star Wars in terms of format, fandom, evolution, the culture of conventions and expanded universes beyond the original material.

Well… one of the videos, one about a period of time when the Dr. Who TV Series was cancelled for over a decade, nearly two in fact, whereby something weird happened: it suddenly developed a Wider Universe. An Extended 'canon'. A canon that basically runs almost independently of the 'core' TV Series.

It does a great job of explaining how with products like this the 'core' fans are sort of 'beyond' the original format, in this case a television show and in Star War's case a film series, to the point where both these formats are more like the extra nonsense to the 'core' experience of what used to be considered the 'extra nonsense', that of the Expanded Universe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgxC0Y9h3ZI

I really thought it would never happen to me, but I've completely given up on the current Dr. Who. Should I feel the urge to watch it again, I'll stick with the classic episodes, the current stuff just doesn't work for me.

I really thought it would never happen to me, but I've completely given up on the current Dr. Who. Should I feel the urge to watch it again, I'll stick with the classic episodes, the current stuff just doesn't work for me.

I never saw the original series, so I've enjoyed the newer version for a couple of seasons at least.

I think that's whats happening with Star Wars too. If I had seen TFA without any prior knowledge or experiences with the universe I *might* have found it a good movie I suppose.

I've been watching the movie finally yesterday. As shitty as I found Episode 8, I found Episode 9 much better than that.

However, I've been reading about leaks of a very different version of that called "Duel Of The Fates". The movie would have been very different with that.

Axccording to most Star Wars fans I know, Disney totally destroyed Star wars. And Mr. Lucas is said to be extremely angry that a certain person returned …

Now, I'm going to close this book, because I'm totally fed up with this "neverending war" setting. And since no-one will do lighter movies (I'm still waiting for Star Wars Detours !), I'm giving up.

As a side-note, I read that Hasbro's license runs out "in the middle of this year".

Edit . Even although I greatly favour the OT, I have no bigger problems with the PT
In both, I can see real storytelling.
And moments of silence. Moments of real character progression.
The last 3 movies, though, are mere action movies without much substance to me. Gah.

Back
Top Bottom