It's Flu Season!

Well, actually I don't think I've ever been tauht by my teachers the difference between flu and cold.

If flu = Grippe, then it's definitively heaver.
If cold = Erkältung, then it's more light.
[ Cold = kalt -> er-kältung = "encolding", I just made this word up. ]

Well, he's been banned on the Codex for a second time so Merry Christmas and good luck.

:beer:

Well, he's been banned on the Codex for a second time so Merry Christmas and good luck.

:beer:

This time for the misstep of starting a thread (and quickly trying to delete it) instead of sending a PM. What was Crispy's problem?

This time for the misstep of starting a thread (and quickly trying to delete it) instead of sending a PM. What was Crispy's problem?

I think you finally pushed the management's patience to breaking point. You were lucky to get a second chance.

I think you finally pushed the management's patience to breaking point. You were lucky to get a second chance.

Well I meant to make it a PM, not a thread (wasn't thinking.) I quickly deleted it before trouble could start, but that wasn't enough I guess. I wanted to respond to DU about how he deleted me the first time. DU said he was going to delete me again after Christmas, and I never got a chance to defend myself.

Oh well. Weird way to end it, but I think God was giving me an early Christmas present. ;)

Well I meant to make it a PM, not a thread (wasn't thinking.) I quickly deleted it before trouble could start, but that wasn't enough I guess. I wanted to respond to DU about how he deleted me the first time.

Come on, Fluent, that's not what happened. You could have just quietly stopped posting but you proceeded to fill up the thread with crap and then deliberately provoke a moderator by rules-lawyering who had publicly threatened to permaban you if you kept it up. Did you not learn anything from your first ban? You used your second life to whinge and whine about your first banning and then seem to be surprised when management were quick to pull the trigger. You had far more leniency than some people and still managed to get the boot.

Come on, Fluent, that's not what happened. You could have just quietly stopped posting but you proceeded to fill up the thread with crap and then deliberately provoke a moderator by rules-lawyering who had publicly threatened to permaban you if you kept it up. Did you not learn anything from your first ban? You used your second life to whinge and whine about your first banning and then seem to be surprised when management were quick to pull the trigger. You had far more leniency than some people and still managed to get the boot.

No, that's actually what happened.

TZ in Discord showed me what had been said about me, by DU and others. I felt I needed to respond. I STUPIDLY made a thread about it, when I should have PM'd DU. I quickly tried to delete said thread but Crispy decided no, let's keep it up and show people what I posted. I still don't understand why he did that?

I wouldn't have been banned had I PM'd DU instead of starting that thread.

Also, I felt I had to respond because DU threatened to delete me again after Christmas, and he deleted me the first time before I had a chance to defend myself at all. I didn't even get a proper defense, just off with the head.

Also, I felt I had to respond because DU threatened to delete me again after Christmas, and he deleted me the first time before I had a chance to defend myself at all. I didn't even get a proper defense, just off with the head.

Nobody cares if you had a legitimate complaint (you didn't). The Codex is not a democracy. You got a second chance when most people wouldn't have. You were rightly banned for being a creepy nuisance and could have just taken the hint and shut up instead of pissing off the very people who had you banned the first time. I hope you learned something from all this.

Nobody cares if you had a legitimate complaint (you didn't). The Codex is not a democracy. You got a second chance when most people wouldn't have. You were rightly banned for being a creepy nuisance and could have just taken the hint and shut up instead of pissing off the very people who had you banned the first time. I hope you learned something from all this.

Actually I'll just refer you to my proper defense of why I wasn't being a creepy nuisance. Shoutbox was all fun and games with me acting stupid until I angered Roguey. Then my harmless jostling was brought out to make me look like an obsessed weirdo.

I learned quite a bit, though, yes. Will it stop me from being myself? No. Nothing will compromise that. :)

Well that is enlightening :)

It's easy to never get the flu! When you start getting sick, just call it a cold. Done!

Seriously, though, the two have been confused so often that I don't think there's any difference any more - at least outside of a doctor's office….
I agree that there is some confusion in the public regarding influenza vs the common cold.

From a medical POV, it's in principle fairly simple. By definition, influenza is a disease caused by an influenza-virus, while the common cold is caused by a whole lotta … other viruses.

Clinically, influenza is usually a more severe disease, with general symptoms like fever (may be high (313K)), significant general feeling of sickness, and quite often muscular pain, compared to the common cold which as a rule have mostly local symptoms with little or only light general affection. So if coughing and sneezing and a running nose are your only symptoms, most likely it's not influenza. It's not water-tight, however. Back in my (*shivers*) doctor days, we had to report the number of different infections we encountered every week, for influenza the choice was "infections similar to influenza". To be sure, we had to identify the virus in a blood sample, which we seldom did (no need for it). Perhaps there are quick tests available now, I don't know.

Another important issue is that influenza has a higher risk of rather serious complications, which is why a yearly flu shot is recommended for the elderly (65 years+), people with chronic diseases (especially respiratory disesases) and - mostly for practical reasonss methinks, people who in their work are in contact with a lot of patients.

OK, somewhat off-topic, but I think the OP deliberately played with the doubloe meanings of "Flu".

a pibbur who has yet to take his shot (it currently rests in his refrigerator).

PS. The sloth isn't too far-fetched in his "treatment" suggestion. I once read a book, suggesting the following cure for the common cold. Go outside, be sure to get wet and cold. Then you will develop pneumonia, which unlike viral infections, can be treaated by antibiotics. The author may have been joking (it was a funny book) and he wasn't a health care professional. His name is Kjell Aukrust. DS.

PPS. There is a bacterium, Hemophilus influenza, which despite the name, has nothing to do with the flu. It causes infection of the throat in children, and occasionally it causes meningitis. DS.

It was a pretty simply thing to get the flu shot while I lived in Canada. It's a bit more involved since I returned to the States, but I still try to get the booster each and every year. It just seems a wise precaution to me.

It's easy to never get the flu! When you start getting sick, just call it a cold. Done!

Seriously, though, the two have been confused so often that I don't think there's any difference any more - at least outside of a doctor's office.

Wait a second…. BANNED on the Codex? I didn't think that was possible unless you, like, started posting people's credit card numbers or something.

Zloth (who'll take a flu shot over eating a can of spinach any day)

The flu is much worse, and it's pretty obvious when it's the flu. The aching muscles are one dead giveway. Flu takes you out.

I have a cold right now, and I'm 99% functional.

Aching muscles indeed, first thing i noticed today, then the coughing began.. This is the first time i get the flu in ages.

I don't have too much against it to be honest, not sure which substances are at play in the body but it's kind of similar to codeine i guess, so not the least unpleasant (well the coughing you do get tired of).

Takes me back to when i was a kid and i was sick, those were the best days, not forced to go to school, being home all day, reading comics and whatnot + feeling really cozy.

the coughing began
According to Hollywood, you'll be dead tomorrow.
Don't worry - I'm coughing more than in any Hollywood movie for past 3 decades and am yet alive and kickin'! :D

If flu, ignore forums and any activity, your body needs energy to fight lil' monsters so get your arse to bed. Next few days ignore chemicals as those can't help. Get a chicken soup, if possible not industrial, to calm the symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom