Fallout 76 - Wastelanders Update

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
April 7th marks the day that the Wastelanders update becomes available for Fallout 76.

Wastelanders - the biggest free update for Fallout 76 since launch - is coming April 7, 2020 for PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4. When Wastelanders launches on April 7, Fallout 76 will also make its way onto Steam for the first time. Fully voiced NPCs bring new life to Appalachia as players embark on a new main quest, forge alliances and manage their reputation with competing factions, and uncover the truth of what's hidden in the mountains.

Some of the major changes coming in Wastelanders include:

New Main Quest and Revamped Original Main Quest - Uncover the secrets of West Virginia by playing through an all-new main quest as well as a revamped original main quest line - with friends or solo - starting from the moment you leave Vault 76. New and veteran players alike will take on new missions, explore new locations and fight with (or against) the new faces that have made their long-awaited return to West Virginia.

Human NPCs - Befriend or betray new neighbors who have come to rebuild, and experience Appalachia through the eyes of its residents.

New Creatures and Gear - Take down newly mutated creatures finding their way to the region and earn the highest tier of weapons and armor.

Choices and Reputation - Alter the fates of those you meet with classic dialogue trees. Decisions affect your standing with each faction through an all-new reputation system.

Current Fallout 76 players will not need to purchase any additional content in order to play Wastelanders when it launches. This update is completely free for Fallout 76 owners. Appalachia has changed and a new beginning awaits. Read more on what's coming to Fallout 76 in Wastelanders here.
Below is the official trailer. It is labeled trailer 1, so there probably will be more trailers coming your way in the near future.

More information.

I am a little embarassed to tell you this, but contrary to most (all?) watchers, I have played and enjoyed FO76. And I'm therefore looking forward to this.

a pibbur who will accept being called a moron, or (with a few exceptions) other derogatory terms.

PS. I see the need for a dislike button now. DS.

I'd be very interested to hear (read) a mini "re-review" of the game post-update. Specifically from a single-player perspective, with the new (and old) main questlines.

I appreciate F76 was created for multiplayer, but this is a series that has thrived on single-player content. It seemed like the original release was lacking any story content, which killed any interest I had. However, a new main questline could help a lot, coupled with the lower prices these days....

Now that there are NPC included my interest in this game is higher than 0.
Is there a way I can play this alone without spending tons of cash?

Now that there are NPC included my interest in this game is higher than 0.
Is there a way I can play this alone without spending tons of cash?

From afar (but paying attention), I think the main things that cost money are a) playing on a private server and b) cosmetics and some quality of life upgrades. No actual content is gated. Should be 99.9% playable for the purchase price.

As I said before get this online DRM SP RPG out of here. Nothing turns me off more then games that require an online connection just to play SP. My opinion will not change.

Edit: From recent news the game is having trouble again.

From afar (but paying attention), I think the main things that cost money are a) playing on a private server and b) cosmetics and some quality of life upgrades. No actual content is gated. Should be 99.9% playable for the purchase price.
But wouldn't I need a private server to play alone? Or can it actually be played offline or locally with permanent connection or whatever?

But wouldn't I need a private server to play alone? Or can it actually be played offline or locally with permanent connection or whatever?

You can play alone and many people do, but playing alone is not the same thing as there not being other players there. There are always other players there (people get private servers so they can play with their friends). No, you cannot play offline.

It's also being released on Steam on the same day.

You can play alone and many people do, but playing alone is not the same thing as there not being other players there. There are always other players there (people get private servers so they can play with their friends). No, you cannot play offline.

Can the other players kill / harass / annoy you etc, or is it like Dark Souls where you can usually avoid fighting them unless you're actually looking for PvP?

Can the other players kill / harass / annoy you etc, or is it like Dark Souls where you can usually avoid fighting them unless you're actually looking for PvP?

I have been playing other games the last 6 months (no, you don't want to know which one), so I'm not entirely up to date.

1. Other people can attack you, but they won't do much damage if you don't fight back. If a player continues attacking players who don't want to fight, he/she will get a wanted status, which means that anyone are free to attack him/her.

2. A player can harass you, at least by stalking you. So far I haven't experienced that. You can solve this by logging off your character and then log on again (without losing anything), because most likely the annoying player won't be there. I've never had to do that, as I've never had any bad experience with other players.

There are up to 16 (or 32?) players on a realm, but whenever you log on it's on a new realm (the next in the queue), the other players are therefore not "persistent" between logons. You keep your position and history in the game, and the stuff you've gathered. You can still play with friends without a private server, but I've never tried it and I don't know how you do it. Never tried a private server, BTW.

Personally I haven't been harassed. In fact, I have had almost no interaction with other players. I ignore them, and they ignore me. The world is also quite large, so most of the time I don't see other players (except their icons on the map). I have occasionally helped taking care of a particularly difficult enemy, but without any contact between us, and without establishing a group.

One reason for no interaction maybe that I've turned off voice chat, so I won't notice if anyone tries talking to me.

a pibbur who happens to like being in post-apocalyptic Virginia. Probably in any post apocalyptic world as long as it's virtual.

PS. I should perhaps add, that the most important thing to me in games are if I get the feeling of "being there". And despite it's shortcomings, FO76 does deliver that to me. It is in many ways a strange game, with several weird design decisions. I can see that many things are off putting (correct English?), but I like being in the Fallout world, and FO76 does give me that.

BTW, I started playing the game half a year after release, so most bugs were fixed then, or during the first couple of months I played it.
DS.

Last edited:
Thanks Pibbur. I hadn't even thought about voice chat, but it's good to know you can turn it off!

Thanks for the explanations.
So you have to have a private server to be actually alone. I don't want to have even the possibility of being harassed.
So I'll wait and see how that update is perceived.

Thanks for the explanations.
So you have to have a private server to be actually alone. I don't want to have even the possibility of being harassed.

That may not even do it entirely unless they've changed how it works. This from October:

"The “private” aspect is up for debate too. Players with big friends lists, ie. merchants who sell players goods in the game, are finding that they can’t prevent people from joining their private servers where they just want to relax and play by themselves or with a few friends. Without some sort of “invisible” mode, other players can see your instance and join it."

I'm in the mood for some post apocalyptic action. So I just started Underrail with the new expansion. Such a good game.

That may not even do it entirely unless they've changed how it works. This from October:

"The “private” aspect is up for debate too. Players with big friends lists, ie. merchants who sell players goods in the game, are finding that they can’t prevent people from joining their private servers where they just want to relax and play by themselves or with a few friends. Without some sort of “invisible” mode, other players can see your instance and join it."

… assuming it works.

a pibbur who will fire up the game and come back with an update ...

For the 25 Bucks that i payed 2 Weeks after it's Release, i got enough playtime out of Fallout 76 to call it a good deal, even with it's many shortcoming post Release.
I brought my Character to Level 157, farmed the hell out of the Scorch Beast Queen and had fun for a couple of Weeks with 3 other Fellas. It sure wasn't a worthy Fallout Title in any possible way, but it was good enough to be a falloutish Wasteland Adventure.
We never got harassed by any PvP'ers cause we used to just change the Shard, if some Douchebags tried to Massmurder through the Area.
The only thing that i totally dislike was the blatant lie about the Stash size and the Cloud limitations, for a much bigger or unlimited Junk Stash for everybody.
Now you can just pay for it with a montly fee to get a unlimited Junk Chest, thats just BS.

I'll still give it another go, once the Wasterlanders Expansion is out, to get another couple of hopefully enjoyable hours in the Wasteland.

Back
Top Bottom