Baldur's Gate 3 - Gameplay Teaser Trailer

Larian NEVER made a good written game.

Only Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity were more mature stories. Rest of the them had subpar writing filled with humor and a tongue' in' cheek feeling.

Nothing wrong with that but I have my doubts about a sequel to one of the best written RPGs being made by a studio with a poor track record in terms of writing.
I don't know if it's an unpopular opinion but I think It's an accurate one. Their games are great, but not for their story.

Yeah I hate Beta testing as well Joxer.

As for the story 50/50 again

Larian improved the writing/story in OS2 but it was nothing great.

They even had Avallone help with that.:(

Only Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity were more mature stories. Rest of the them had subpar writing filled with humor and a tongue' in' cheek feeling.

Nothing wrong with that but I have my doubts about a sequel to one of the best written RPGs being made by a studio with a poor track record in terms of writing.

i hope you are wrong, it even might destroy the company...

I'm pretty sure all our hopes are up but the feeling of "it can be a mess" is still there.
If you think it "can be a mess" you haven't paid attention to the last 20 years of great games Larian made, none of which were even remotely a mess.

Maybe BG3 won't be what you want, but we know it won't be a mess.

Yeah I hate Beta testing as well Joxer.

As for the story 50/50 again

Larian improved the writing/story in OS2 but it was nothing great.

They even had Avallone help with that.:(

Guess I'll jump on the quote bandwagon about this post.

First of all, I personally appreciate opinions that aren't popular. Prefacing the statement with an apology/warning kinda ruins it, but I like when people stick to their guns and don't care what the mainstream think to be appropriate. It shows character.

That said, I actually agree with the statement, and I'm a fan of Larian games. Their storywriting has never been really good. Here is where they'll have to step up.

I have high hopes because I love combat that has actual physics and environmental elements, that's how it is in DnD, thinking outside the box, and being ingenious. It's not just a sequence of rolls where you minmax party builds and win if you get lucky with 20's. We'll have to see, fingers crossed because I wanna play a great game, and I don't want to deal with the bunch of unloved children out there that would rather BG3 will be a bad game only not to be wrong about their day 1 Doomsaying about Larian being in charge of it.

*facepalm* You are finally getting the sequel to the game you've all been waiting decades for, done by a competent developer who is known for being open and honest with their fans, yet… 90% bitching. LOL I love you guys.

Anyway, this game looks great to me.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think we're bound to like any way a franchise is taken forwards. There are several film franchises that have been taken up by competent directors, but I don't always care for the way they've done it.

I don't think so either, and I include Divine and Beyond Infinity in that.

I love a lot of things about their games, but I value writing above most things, so Larian games are never among my most loved or anticipated. Having said that, I thought OS2 was their best so far and much better written than OS1, so hopefully that trend will continue. I expect BG3 will offer a lot of other things… fun/deep gameplay, size and scope, varied visuals…. that will ensure the game has a high floor.

You can't compete with nostalgia.
My opinion has nothing to do with nostalgia but their engine/design philosophy.:biggrin:

Has to be said Owlcat games would have been a better choice.
I don't know if it's an unpopular opinion but I think It's an accurate one. Their games are great, but not for their story.
On this forum its unpopular.

Just check out the official forums and Steam. Don't post anything negative.

Now having said that I can still be proved wrong. I'm not writing the game off yet.

Last edited:
I think Larian's writing is fine for the most part. It's the cheesy way dialogue is delivered that's the problem, and the over-the-top voice acting makes it seem even worse.

I don't remember it being too bad in Divine Divinity or Dragon Knight Saga, but it's pretty annoying in D:OS.

Dragon Knight Saga is their game I enjoyed the most I think. Story was okay but it had a great ending.

I'm starting to anticipate their next Divine Divinity game more than this game. I think Sven and Larian are partly or mostly to blame. He was hyping Baldur's Gate 3 to a high degree, and it caused people to expect it would be a brand new game, and correspondingly using a brand new game engine. Not the recycled Divinity Original Sin game engine that was unveiled.

I like the movie sequel-itis analogy, another one would be a new car, and the only thing changed from the prior year was a new coat of paint. And also maybe a few minor modifications to the body and then they call it a brand new car model.

The two things that will most likely make BG3 better than DOS2 for me are the ruleset and the setting. I never got warm with both in DOS.

*facepalm* You are finally getting the sequel to the game you've all been waiting decades for, done by a competent developer who is known for being open and honest with their fans, yet… 90% bitching. LOL I love you guys.

Anyway, this game looks great to me.

We've all been asking for it? I certainly haven't. I think most people here consider the Baldur's Gate saga over, which is part of the problem. I'm all for spiritual successors, more D&D games and so on, but more Baldur's Gate just doesn't make sense to me.

I'd love a D&D: Divinity game or some such thing, which this essentially is, but slapping the Baldur's Gate brand on it just seems like a marketing ploy.

We've all been asking for it? I certainly haven't. I think most people here consider the Baldur's Gate saga over, which is part of the problem. I'm all for spiritual successors, more D&D games and so on, but more Baldur's Gate just doesn't make sense to me.

I'd love a D&D: Divinity game or some such thing, which this essentially is, but slapping the Baldur's Gate brand on it just seems like a marketing ploy.
I agree 100% as the Baldur's Gate saga is over. This is a new saga with the same name. Even the official third game Baldur's Gate III: The Black Hound was to be different.

Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur's_Gate_III:_The_Black_Hound
The game was set to take place in the fictional Forgotten Realms continent of Faerûn. It would have been set in the Dalelands and allowed players to travel mostly in the area of Archendale. Players would have also been able to travel to key areas in Archendale such as the White Ford, the Church of Lathander and bases of the Red Wizards of Thay. Other areas in the Dalelands featured would have been Battledale, Deepingdale as well as an area of North Sembia. Though it is possible that Baldur's Gate would have appeared in the game as well in a cameo appearance, this remains unconfirmed and highly unlikely.

Well, that was moderately lame all over. Not horrible, but not really sparking fond memories of previous Baldur's Gate entries. Divinity Original Sin: Faerûn would be a better name for it :p

Back
Top Bottom