Metro: Last Light - Video Preview

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I enjoyed Metro 2033, and this looks even better. I think I should upgrade my video card before I get this though. :)

Maybe I'm overly hard to please but I don't see anything all-too intriguing. The graphics are pretty standard for a current-gen console cross-platform title, and the gameplay looks like it'll be as linear as the first game. The mention of different factions caught my eye, but I'll have to wait and see whether that amounts to anything besides a couple choices at the end of the game and little real consequence.

If they provide the option to play with Russian sound and English subs as they did in the 1st game I'm certainly interested. Can't see how heavily accented English can add to the tremendous atmosphere.

I thought Metro 2033 was better than the average shooter, and it was one of the few cross-platform titles in recent memory that really scaled upwards on a high-end PC. The PC version looked significantly better than the Xbox version if you had the horsepower to run it with all the bells and whistles.

I'm probably a little biased because I love a post-apocalyptic setting combined with a dark atmosphere.

The reviews here in Germany are pretty clear: Last Light is a very good game with the same strengths and weaknesses as the first game. Strong atmosphere, great graphics (except face animations), etc.
Opinions on the new weapon upgrade system are mixed. Interesting for a time … but then the upgraded weapons lose their uniqueness.

The first Metro had a couple of absolutely stellar levels and it was an atmosphere monster. The quite diverse gameplay included some shoot 'em up elements I didn't really like though.

I'll have it in a couple of days. I just ordered a new Nvidia card, and a copy of Last Light was included as part of a promotion.

I really liked the first game as well but the reviews I've seen (here and here and especially right here) for Last Light are a very mixed bag. Actually mixed enough that it isn't a full price purchase for me. Unfortunately, I don't think that Deep Silver is nearly as sales-happy as the late THQ so it may be quite a while... which isn't a big deal since my backlog (especially of unplayed Steam titles) is still beyond ridiculous *sigh* ;) .

I've seen at least a couple of reviews where the linearity was a bullet point on the list of negatives so I don't think there's much hope for anyone expecting a S.T.A.L.K.E.R-esque experience.

I played Metro: Last Light yesterday for a few hours (didn't have more time, got through 6 of the first levels) and based on that, I can say it is not open world at all, but very much a "corridor shooter" with separate mission levels. You are pretty much on rails with some leeway on how to get through the level (sneak or gung ho, practically). However, despite that, I'm liking it quite a lot. It is very atmospheric and well done, IMO, and if you liked the previous Metro (I sure did), you should like this one as well. It is quite easy on Normal, though, so I recommend Hard difficulty (or Ranger mode if you've got it) for a better, more tense survival experience. Still too early to say much more.

Does it have coop on the ps3? Sorry for the "off" question, but I was looking for such a game.

Just heard of this today. Sounds like something I would like very much as I love post apocalyptic and prefer linear games. Looks like they already stopped making 2033 for xbox. I'd prefer to play the original one first.

Back
Top Bottom