Xoreos - New Update

The Google CAPTCHA stuff is already bad (is that a store front? I DON'T KNOW.), but then your added questions are…something else. "How many numbers are in eleven", what does that even mean? The number of digits? It rejected "two", though.

</rant>, sorry.

This post is much funnier than the xoreos pun. Thank you.

I think Google's CAPTCHA is being particularly obnoxious at the moment. I hit it the other day, and it had me tracking down store fronts, road signs, and bloody buses for about ten minutes.

I think Google's CAPTCHA is being particularly obnoxious at the moment. I hit it the other day, and it had me tracking down store fronts, road signs, and bloody buses for about ten minutes.

Gotta feed the ai machine eventually 😊

*Sad trombone*.

Oh, and btw, I'm…not a fan of your spam filtering when registering either. It took me literally more tries than I cared to count. The Google CAPTCHA stuff is already bad (is that a store front? I DON'T KNOW.), but then your added questions are…something else. "How many numbers are in eleven", what does that even mean? The number of digits? It rejected "two", though.

</rant>, sorry.

Oh, nice, this post went through without having to wait for the moderator. My other one is still in the queue. "No filtering", yes :D

Hahaha. Well, isn’t this a unique entrance!
You come in and all things are starting to collapse, leaving me all black and blue. ;)

Right. Yes, our system has been doing some weird things lately. Don’t have to tell you…

The spam filter… errr… I thought you were just wishing to post some ordinary links. They usually come through, you don’t want to know how many spammers I throw out of the door each day.
Please PM me, the links you wished to post.

I discussed it with the big boss, but he does not know either why the system seems to be picky sometimes. :)

O, and about the CAPTCHA… yeah, people go on where robots would give in… You made it! Now does it not feel wonderful, being here? :) (Yeah, CAPTCHAS suck, I hate them myself, pity they are necessary. The right answer is ‘0’, so zero, for ‘eleven’ is a word. :) ).

Edit.
To make myself clear. We do have a spam filter. But I thought some normal links would make it, they seem to make it all most of the time.
How the spam filter works though, is according to big boss, also a mystery. :)
Hot off the press: we are talking now btw about me replacing the spam filter. And I am sure I can do a better job. :)

O, and please, accept my apologies.

Last edited:
I thought you were just wishing to post some ordinary links.

Well, yeah.

I started that post with "Well, okay, then I'm going to give you the full rundown of contact information and otherwise xoreos-related links. :p" and proceeded with 14 links, including the mailing list, IRC channel information, the twitter account, our main website and wiki, the developer central page on the wiki, the GitHub pages, etc.

Basically the whole starter package for a potential xoreos contributor.

Yup, a lot of stuff, but you did offer, claiming there's no filtering ;)

They usually come through, you don’t want to know how many spammers I throw out of the door each day.

I have some idea, that's why I (correctly!) guessed that there's a spam filtering mechanism that'll pounce on links in the first place.

I mean, it's probably bad form if I now say "I told you so", but…well, I did. :p

You made it! Now does it not feel wonderful, being here? :)

If feeling wonderful is very similar to tired and exhausted, I guess? ;)

The right answer is ‘0’, so zero, for ‘eleven’ is a word. :) ).

…Are the other questions on the list "Why are manhole covers round?" and "How many tennis balls can you fit into a limousine?"

Seriously, I had job interview brain teasers that were less of a stretch.

Just to be clear, I'm not angry or blaming you or anything (especially not for the Google CAPTCHAs). I'm just a bit baffled.

O, and please, accept my apologies.

Sure. I'm not here to make a stink. I hope I'm not coming over too strident or anything, and please also accept my apologies if I am :)

Well, yeah.

I started that post with […] I'm just a bit baffled.

Sir, knock-out!
*Eye on her back, speechless and laughing out loud* :iloveyou:
DrMcCoy, please don’t be cross with me, but I think you are quite funny and quite energetic on top of that!, even when you are “a bit baffled”.

I am truly sorry for all your troubles, but I do like your :p.
:)

But please, ignore this bad start of yours/ours, and ignore my distraction. Xoreos should be our topic. :)

Last edited:
Sure :)

I mostly said what I wanted to, though. xoreos is kinda somewhat working for some games, at least for some definitions of working. But it's still far from being usable by the average person, and still in desperate need of more contributors. This is a huge project, with lots of work left to do.

With NWN:EE running on Linux (and on macOS again), and Aspyr having ported KotOR2 recently too, I can understand if some people don't see the need for xoreos in the first place, but, well, I disagree :).

And even then, at least I'm also doing this because it scratches an itch. I like figuring out how things work, understanding their inner concepts enough to be able to replicate them. It's a huge puzzle, and finally figuring something is a great feeling. (Likewise, though, being stuck somewhere can be frustrating too.)

That's of course not for everyone. But if that sounds like something any of you might enjoy, talk to me :)

Instead of remaking the Aurora engine, why not port all these games to the ToEE engine? It would be a much bigger improvement overall!

Instead of remaking the Aurora engine, why not port all these games to the ToEE engine?

Will you distribute converted game data? That's definitely not legal.
Distribute a converter everyone has to run? That's possible. But always a bit fiddly.

Moreover, that's not what I personally am interested in. I wouldn't dive deep into how the engine itself works. And the result is that you're binding yourself to a different closed-source, proprietary engine.

If you want to do that, I wish you the best of luck. But it's not for me.

Okay, so the same crappy faux D&D/d20 games will now run better on modern hardware and support modding. Yay.

Okay, so the same crappy faux D&D/d20 games will now run better on modern hardware and support modding. Yay.

Yes, and all those horrible horrible people who like these crappy faux D&D/d20 games might concentrate on them again instead of annoying you with their awful awful taste! Rejoice! :)

I was just thinking, is it possible to make these games turn-based using the new Xoreos engine?

They are already, in a way, turn-based.

In NWN, NWN2, KotOR and KotOR2, action resolution is done in turns/rounds, just like the underlying d20 system. Only that a turn is mapped to 6 seconds.

If you want to make that more explicit, and hold choice of action at these points for the user... That would potentially be possible. However, as of yet, no combat at all is implemented. We don't even have heartbeat scripts (that fire for every 6s round on each object) running yet.

Back
Top Bottom