• Sports

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • You forgot this one..

Votes: 20 19.2%

• Total voters

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
What is your favorite genre besides an RPG?
You get to pick only one and most likely your specific (hybrid) genre is not listed :)

If you are missing a genre mention it in the comments.

Easy choice for me. Shooters.

It's a genre that's crowded with a lot of mediocre games, but the ones that stand out are really good.

Shooter and Strategy for me - Shooter is the frontrunner in recent years.

Action/adventure (think Dishonored, The Last of Us, Ghost of Tsushima, etc). Distinct from shooters, and equally distinct from "adventure", which to me is games like Monkey Island and so on.

Strategy is third.

Yeah, that goes for me, too. I really enjoy those types of action adventure, when they're done well.

After that, I'd say tactical games, rather than strategy - games where you can have a short session of tactical play. I tend to get bored of full-on strategy games.

I like a good shooter, too, but the good ones are rare birds.

You didn't mention wargames. Although they are a subset of strategy games, they tend to focus more on military aspects. Also, aside from a wargame like Shadow Empire, they tend to be centered on historical wars and battles.

Stealth!
- forces me to slow down and enjoy the environment more
- has both a tactical and action element to it
- encourages and allows for exploration a lot more than other genres
- very gratifying to solve the puzzle with as little disturbance as possible (figuring out patrols, then executing the perfect move, …)

Not sure why this would ever even be a question :)

I've picked the last point.
The thing is I love all genres, but I can't stand two mechanics in games:
1. Racing (any vehicle or ride)
2. Platforming

Everything else, assuming it's not boring, is fine by me.

Base building games where you are building a colony and dealing with things effecting your dudes. I love laying down the smack on those cannibal pirates that raided my base 4 times already. Rimworld is good. Oxygen not included is also good. I want more through and there are other games but they have got to reach that one more turn appeal.

Um...survival games. Shocker, I know.

Stealth, it gives the feeling of acceding to forbidden and hidden places, usually by gathering information, then discovering / understanding / activating mechanisms and puzzles, and using strategy & tactics.

Other than that, adventure, and RPG that has dialogues with multiple options and choices to solve problems. Some puzzles, and systems to interact with, so perhaps closer to simulation.

Detective games are fun too, it has common elements I like with stealth without the hiding-in-shadows part, but with more deductions. It's harder to achieve a good balance with those games though (just played SH: Crimes & Punishments and liked it).

Strategy. I can only handle turn-based ones though. RTS games have too much going on for my brain and reflexes to deal with. I keep buying Total War games when I know I can't play 'em!

JFarrell71, I'm a sucker for any of the old Zork, Myst, or other adventure games. I don't own many, looking to get some more. Recently, Wolf Among Us, Ethan Carter,
Grim Fandango and LA Noire are also really great. I won a copy of Peaky Blinders here last month and I'm hopeful that will turn out to be marvelous! =)

Isometric action games and RP immersive 3rd person half action games.
The only shooter I really enjoyed was more tactical TC Division I and II.

Strategy games. Usually turn based. I love Dominion, Disciples, Eador, Fantasy General....

Where do you put Egosoft's X games? Space economic sim with shooting and tactical elements, all layered over a heaping helping of minor bugs. Mmmm!

Where do you put Egosoft's X games? Space economic sim with shooting and tactical elements, all layered over a heaping helping of minor bugs. Mmmm!

I've tried so hard to like those but they bore the hell out of me. It's like if Sunless Seas/Skies had you ferrying goods back and forth, as you do, but without any of the stories, lore or atmosphere of those games.

I'm a big fan of strategy games, everything from Age of Empires and Red Alert to the likes of Europa Universalis and all the way to Civilisation and Heroes of Might and Magic.

I also love a large range of RPG games, Fallout 1/2, Banner Saga, Gothic series, Pathfinder KM.

Many types of Turn Based games too some of which are hybrids like XCOM2.

I have never gotten into shooters much. I've only really played Counterstrike enough to say I was any good at it a long time ago. I did play a few of the Battlefield games too.

I did also enjoy simulation games earlier when they were more common. The only ones I can think of now are Democracy 3 and Football Manager.

Never liked racing or combat focused games like dark souls.

Back
Top Bottom