Couchpotato's Random RPG News - Page 92 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Default Couchpotato's Random RPG News

October 8th, 2021, 11:37
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
If you've no idea what that term means, Alrik, you've literally succeeded in life. And from what I've read of your posts over the years, the game that that term derives from likely wouldn't be to your liking.
Oh, I've seen that video now, and now I understand what it is about …

However, I vaguely remember a "german" (because "Germany" didn't exist at that point") king or otherwise ruler, of whom it is told that he had had an arrow in his head for some time.

Edit : Found him : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_I…enburg-Stendal

Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
If you've no idea what that term means, Alrik, you've literally succeeded in life. And from what I've read of your posts over the years, the game that that term derives from likely wouldn't be to your liking.

I must admit that I never played Skyrim, because it is too grim for my taste.

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Yeah, I found that pretty interesting. It exemplifies how Owlcat likes to make some things hard simply for the sake of being hard.
Unfortunately, I've played Adventure games having added riddles just for the sake of making it harder - or so it felt to me.
This kind of spoiled some fun I had when playing the otherwise nice "Monkey Island style" game "The Ghost Pirates Of Vooju Island". Or so it felt to me. (If you want to play a game with a very similar setting like MI, then I can recommend this game to you !)

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Yeah, I found that pretty interesting. It exemplifies how Owlcat likes to make some things hard simply for the sake of being hard.
From that article

"We expected the secret ending to be rather easy to reach when you know where to look for it," Alexander Komzolov told me. Rather easy, he says. I don't want to know what a harder version would have looked like.
That reminds me of the RTS game called "Z", one of the few ones I really enjoyed (and played at all).; I even beat it !

Later, the developers admitted that it was too hard, because they had balanced the game around on what the developers knew and how they played it. And since they knew that game too well, they made it too hard.
And that impacted the sales figures.

To me, this, and seemingly what happened with Owlcat, is EXACTLY THAT cognitive bias I know from Wikipedia as the Curse of knowledge !

If you look at players' behaviour in forums, you can often very clearly see that this is to be found within min-maxing player groups, and within PvP player groups in MMOs as well ( I saw that ).
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Last edited by Alrik Fassbauer; October 8th, 2021 at 12:00.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)

October 8th, 2021, 13:34
Thanks for keeping us updated with the news Couch. Love reading this thread.
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

October 8th, 2021, 16:53
Sword of the Stars: The Pit 2 Announced

loading…
"A deadly plague ravages your world. Your last hope: a legendary alien facility dug deep into the Feldspar Mountains a massive Pit, built by the ancient Suul'ka."

After the success of our Indie, Roguelike hit Sword of the Stars: The Pit in 2012, it's time to celebrate its 10th anniversary in 2022! Sword of the Stars: The Pit 2 is an update of the fun, fast, and light-hearted turn-based original, taking the game from its 2D retro-roots and into a fully 3D game world.

While we begin by updating The Pit for the present, join us as we take The Pit series to a whole new world!
We are Legion: Rome - Devlog #11 "Sanguis"
War, war never changes. There are those who are win and those who lose. There are songs about the deeds of OUR brave heroes and scary lullabies about THEIR vile and murderous villains. Unquestionable truths and those better not to be questioned. Somewhere in the middle, a river of blood is continuously flowing.

They were the bad guys after all. Right?
Alder Forge - Demo Remaining Time
As you well know, the Steam Next Fest has ended just a few moments ago, but the Alder Forge Demo will remain available shortly afterwards because you deserve to be noticed and alerted about the exact time the Demo will be deactivated.

- Please be advised that The Demo will remain live until October 15th, 2021.

Thank you all for your interest in the World of the Alder Forge and for trying it out.
Edge Of Eternity - The Original Soundtrack is now complete
The Official Original Soundtrack composed by Cédric Menendez and Yasunori Mitsuda, is now updated with 58 new tracks in .wav format! What better way to dream than with these melodies?

We hope you will like it. Cédric has been working over the last few months to provide you the best quality possible through the mastering process. Feel free to give your feedback about it!
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)

October 8th, 2021, 16:58
Dragon Age and Why It Sucks to Play Cult Favorite Games - Wired
If you’re ever feeling lonely, or like no one reads your tweets (much less responds to them), here’s a suggestion: Ask Twitter if you should play Dragon Age. Soon, you’ll have more friends with opinions than you could ever need or want. Some will swear by Dragon Age: Origins; others will pledge their fealty to Dragon Age: Inquisition. (Dragon Age II seems less well loved, but it still has a solid place in the hearts of many.) People you didn’t even know followed you, or that you’ve never interacted with, will all of a sudden become invested in who you’re romancing. This will solve the problem of your loneliness. But be warned, it will give you a new one: anxiety.
Isometric RPGs are Eating Away all of My Gaming Time - Destructoid
I don’t have as much free time in my life now that the school year has started up again. Instead, I’m teaching kids about history or planning on how best to teach kids about history, or coaching kids on how to run faster. Teaching and coaching are time-consuming, ya know? But every once and a while, I do get some downtime to just sit in front of my computer and chill. As I sit down to relax on any given day and look at my recently played games list, it’s easy to notice a pattern: they are all isometric RPGs.

Between Path of Exile, Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, Diablo II: Resurrected, and Gamedec, there is something within this subgenre for just about anyone. I haven’t spent a ton of time on any single one of these (Path of Exile being an exception), but I did want to take some time and talk about each one a bit.
The head of Arkane Lyon has Left After Almost 17 Years - VGC
Capron joined the developer as chief operating officer and production director in January 2005, before also being appointed studio head in April 2019. He stepped down last week, shortly after the launch of the studio’s latest game, the critically acclaimed Deathloop, and seven months after Arkane’s parent company ZeniMax Media was acquired by Microsoft.
Bluepoint Games Rumored to Be Working on a Bloodborne Project ?- Gamerant
Colin Moriarty dropped a cryptic tease that Bluepoint Games may be working on a Bloodborne remake. He writes simply on Twitter, "I'm hearing through the grapevine Bluepoint Games may be on a journey to Yharnam." For those who might not have played the game, Yharnam is Bloodborne's setting, a gothic, decrepit metropolis, once swarming with people, now festering with beasts and the sick. After PlayStation's acquisition of Bluepoint, it confirmed its next title is a totally original one, but the latest rumors state that it is working on both a new title as well as another remake.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

October 9th, 2021, 16:09
Guile & Glory: Firstborn a tactical RPG - Steam

loading…
Journey through the mysterious Drowned Lands as the Outlander, the Scoundrel and the Guardian in tactical RPG / puzzle hybrid Guile & Glory.
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Dev Diary #8 - Setting Up Camp

loading…
Why cannot you sleep anywhere and anytime at the Worldwound? How can you avoid corruption? How do the resting and crafting systems work? How did we design these systems and why have we made all these decisions during the game development?
Diablo IV Quarterly Update - October 2021
Hello, and welcome once again to a new Diablo IV Quarterly Update.

I'm Joe Shely from the Diablo IV team. As a design lead who has been working on this dark, shared, open world action role-playing game from the beginning, I’m honored to continue the vision of Diablo IV as its new Game Director, and I’m humbled to represent the team pouring their hearts into this game.

Like many of you, our team has been reflecting upon recent events. A lot has happened since our last blog and the hard work of practicing the values we aspire to must continue. In parallel with that important work, development of Diablo IV continues too.

Over the past few years, we've assembled a strong team with incredible passion for Diablo IV. You, Diablo’s fans, are a critical part of this team. With the help of your valuable feedback, we've steadily refined and deepened the game experience. We have ways to go, and while much has changed, our commitment to the game is unwavering.
New Starfield leak shows off two spacesuits
Attached Images
File Type: png Starfield-new-leak-spacesuits-10-150x150.png (35.6 KB, 88 views)
File Type: png Starfield-new-leak-spacesuits-5-150x150.png (30.0 KB, 86 views)
--

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

October 9th, 2021, 16:42
Those spacesuits leaked?

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
+1:

October 9th, 2021, 16:45
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
Those spacesuits leaked?
There from another site called DSO and I refuse to link due to the sites comment section. The site is also slow to load due to constant attacks due to the comment section.

Anyway here the original place of those leaked assets.

Edit: This is actually from a graphic artist model based on leaks.

Of course ripper gave you a +1 for that comment I'm missed the reference.
--

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

October 9th, 2021, 16:54
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
There from another site called DSO and I refuse to link due to the sites comment section. The site is also slow to load due to constant attacks due to the comment section.

Anyway here the original place of those leaked assets.

Edit: This is actually fan-art from an artist based on leaks.
Ah, erm. Sorry for the bad humour, I've read too much of The Expanse I suppose.
With, you know, spacesuits that leaked.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

October 10th, 2021, 01:11
DRAKE Top-down Space Western ARPG - Steam

loading…
DRAKE is a Sci-Fi Action RPG set on a distant desert planet. Use your Strength, Intelligence or Charisma to uncover the secrets that are hidden under the planet’s crust. Shape the look of humanity in first contact and try to survive in a harsh Space Western World. rld.
SKALD: Against the Black Priory Becomes a Full-time Project
Yes you read that right! I just quit my day-job to work full time on “Skald: Against the Black Priory”! This is huge news! Every semi-professional game developer dreams of going full time and I’ve finally made it..
--

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

October 10th, 2021, 17:47
DRAKE Top-down Space Western ARPG - Steam

loading…
SKALD: Against the Black Priory Becomes a Full-time Project
First game looks decent but was very little to go by. The 2nd bit makes the guy sound insane; unless he worked part time at McDonalds. "Hey, I quit my day job to make an 8-bit looking game with an extremely niche potential audience."
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)

October 10th, 2021, 19:10
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
First game looks decent but was very little to go by. The 2nd bit makes the guy sound insane; unless he worked part time at McDonalds. "Hey, I quit my day job to make an 8-bit looking game with an extremely niche potential audience."
Yeah I wouldn't quit my day job for this game. My guess it's a part time side project.
--

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

October 10th, 2021, 21:47
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
You have do consider that it's a one man-team, so you could compare it to Jeff Vogel and Spiderweb. Also not having a day job, doesnt have to mean you have no additional income. You can have income streams through investments, piblished books or similar which support that option.
Ofc he likely still earns less now than with the day job, but money isn't everything and you got to set priorities. And as long as you survive with the money…
--
Doing Let's Plays Reviews in English now. Latest Video: Cyberpunk 2077
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.

Kordanor

Wastelander

October 10th, 2021, 22:10
Originally Posted by Kordanor View Post
You have do consider that it's a one man-team, so you could compare it to Jeff Vogel and Spiderweb. Also not having a day job, doesnt have to mean you have no additional income. You can have income streams through investments, piblished books or similar which support that option.
Ofc he likely still earns less now than with the day job, but money isn't everything and you got to set priorities. And as long as you survive with the money…
I hope you're right and I'm wrong I hope he's married and his wife makes good money and is willing to support him. That's basically what happened with Vogel.
--
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

October 10th, 2021, 23:30
Dying Light 2 Stay Human - Dying 2 Know MORE #4

loading…
Dive deep into the world of Dying Light 2 Stay Human in the latest Dying 2 Know More episode, where renowned composer Olivier Derivière (Streets of Rage 4, Vampyr, A Plague Tale: Innocence) details a special custom-built instrument creating extraordinary in-game sounds and shares the inspiration behind Dying Light 2’s main theme, “Run, Jump, Fight”.
The Ascent New Patch Available
The following summary covers the key areas we have addressed in this new major Patch update for The Ascent.

This update is now live and available for The Ascent on Steam (deployed on October 7th). The same patch will also be landing on the Xbox family platforms shortly (Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox Series S/X, Microsoft store). Thank you for your patience.

Our team is still continuing to work hard on improving the game and we continue to be very grateful for all the support and feedback from our players.
Is Bandai Namco on the verge of cracking the West? - Gamesindustry.biz
It's one of Japan's biggest games companies, and responsible for globally recognised brands.And yet Bandai Namco's mission to become a major player in the Western world has been a mixed affair. From the moment it acquired Atari's distribution business and began to establish itself a European presence, the company began signing games and doing some co-publishing deals on Western-developed titles. It's actually 11 years this week since the company published Ninja Theory's excellent Enslaved: Odyssey to the West.
Playing ‘Cyberpunk 2077’ How It’s ‘Supposed’ To Be Played Is Lifechanging - Forbes
The problem, of course, is obvious. I am on a computer that costs $3K. This is not the first game to run much better on an expensive machine, and yet the gulf here between not just an ultra PC and PS4/Xbox One, but also the current Series X and PS5 versions, or even a lesser PC, is massive. And what percentage of the playerbase has experienced a game that looks and plays like this? 1%? 0.1%? If that.
--

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

October 11th, 2021, 13:06
I should revisit CP2077 sometime to play it as it's meant to be played… I wonder if the experience hasn't been forever ruined though.

Nereida

Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
+1:

October 11th, 2021, 13:52
Playing Cyberpunk 2077 How It's Supposed To Be Played Is Lifechanging - Forbes

The problem, of course, is obvious. I am on a computer that costs $3K. This is not the first game to run much better on an expensive machine, and yet the gulf here between not just an ultra PC and PS4/Xbox One, but also the current Series X and PS5 versions, or even a lesser PC, is massive. And what percentage of the playerbase has experienced a game that looks and plays like this? 1%? 0.1%? If that.
So Cyberpunk 2077 is the new Crysis, where we'll get to play it the way it should be by the year… 2077 ??
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)

October 11th, 2021, 14:31
I'm old, so I have enough money to buy whatever but I probably won't upgrade till TES VI comes out. I'll plod along on i7700k/16G ram/and an overclocked GTX 1080. It's good enough for most stuff still. Starfield, if it really grabs me, might change my mind. I last upgraded for The Witcher 3, iirc.
--
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

October 11th, 2021, 17:18
Originally Posted by henriquejr View Post
So Cyberpunk 2077 is the new Crysis, where we'll get to play it the way it should be by the year 2077 ??
Not the first time I remember Witcher 2 and at that time it had an insane level for graphics. Not many players had the card yet to use that graphic setting as well.

Anyway I never cared about RTX never did it's a gimmick at best. DLSS and the other variants are the future. You can upscale extreme graphics on low settings.

It's a god send with all the current price hikes on gpus.
--

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

October 11th, 2021, 17:52
Wasn't Ultima (don't remember anymore which version) also infamous for having extremely high system requirements ?
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

+1:

October 11th, 2021, 18:02
I think you might be right, Alrik, pretty sure at least one of the later Ultimas forced me to upgrade my existing computer.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
+1:

Tags
interviews, mods, previews, reviews, videos
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Couchpotato's Random RPG News