Divinity: Original Sin II - More Reviews

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
COG and Windows Central have reviewed Divinity: Original Sin II:

COG:

With an absolutely gorgeous setting, deeply rich and complex character development, intelligent and tactical combat that is still user-friendly, and literally hundreds of ways to play through the game, Divinity: Original Sin 2 is an absolute must-have for fans of fantasy RPGs. While there is much to see and do, this is a game about being methodical, taking it slow and exploring every possibility before moving forward. Anyone looking to get lost in a fantasy world of new and exciting mythos will find themselves quite happy here.

Score: 89/100
Windows Central:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 review: Conclusion

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a polished, well-designed RPG, and through its phenomenal mechanics, astounding art, sound design and fantastic writing, it is sure to revolutionize the modern RPG genre.

Score: 5/5 - Materpiece

Pros:

• Tactical, strategic combat system.
  • Excellent diversity of gameplay through classes and species.
  • Improved multiplayer mode, as well as map editor.
  • Beautifully crafted dynamic world.
  • Stellar music and voice acting.

Cons:

• Occasional frame rate hiccups.
More information.

A masterpiece? Perhaps once they've cleaned up most of the nuisance, immersion-breaking bugs. Right now its fun, but at times it feels a bit like a draft copy. It's time to go back to my heuristic about waiting for the third patch update.

GameSpot gave it a 10/10 today. Going by their database lookup, it's only the 3rd game in the history of GameSpot to get a perfect score for the PC platform, the others were MGS5 and Witcher 3.

GameSpot gave it a 10/10 today. Going by their database lookup, it's only the 3rd game in the history of GameSpot to get a perfect score for the PC platform, the others were MGS5 and Witcher 3.

It's the only PC exclusive game on that list actually.

The full list:
Divinity: Original Sin II - Review date: September 26, 2017
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Review date: March 2, 2017
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Review date: May 5, 2016
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - Review date: August 23, 2015
Journey (PS4) - Review date: July 23, 2015
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Review date: May 12, 2015
Bayonetta 2 - Review date: October 13, 2014
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Review date: May 21, 2010
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Review date: June 13, 2008
Grand Theft Auto IV - Review date: April 28, 2008
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 - Review date: October 29, 2001
Chrono Cross - Review date: January 6, 2000
Soul Calibur (Dreamcast) - Review date: August 9, 1999
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Review Date: November 23, 1998

Yeah I considered mentioning that, but D:OS2 isn't truly PC exclusive, a console release is planned, isn't it? Even if it hasn't been announced, I think we can be fairly sure it'll happen…

By the way, GTA4 on your list has a PC version, but they gave the PC version only 9/10. Might be some others like that too, I don't know, but when I used their database thingy, it only came up with D:OS2/Witcher 3/MGS5 with a perfect score for PC.

edit: found this quote from Swen Vincke:
"As for the console versions, we're now focused on delivering our first patch for the PC version, something that is scheduled for this week," said Vincke. "Lots of players means lots of support issues coming in and we're trying to service them as fast as we can. After that, it'll be a long well deserved break for the team and then we'll boot up our machines again to work on the next things."

I'm pretty sure that a couple years ago, around the time they said they were hiring new people and opening an office in Quebec City Canada, they said they'd be working on two games at the same time? But we've never heard anything about the 2nd game.

Yeah I considered mentioning that, but D:OS2 isn't truly PC exclusive, a console release is planned, isn't it?

Swen said console version only if the PC one sell well (which is kinda a given now), unlike all the other games on that list that are either console exclusive or console ports.

Console versions are expensive to publish. You need to pay the license fees in advance. That is why with DOS 1, they had Focus Home publish the console version of the game.
I expect they will do something similar now. Find a publisher who takes care of the license cost and distribution.

The game is great, I'm loving it, but it definitely doesn't deserve a max score because it's still quite buggy. Many other otherwise good games were given lower scores because they were released in a buggy state, I don't see why they wouldn't do the same thing for this game.

lol 10/10 on this bugfest, when they gave so many times low scores on games because of bugs, ign retards strike again

I'm pretty sure that a couple years ago, around the time they said they were hiring new people and opening an office in Quebec City Canada, they said they'd be working on two games at the same time? But we've never heard anything about the 2nd game.

Uh Oh splitting your team in two and setting up offices in Canada. Hope they don't meet the same fate as Sir-Tech. Everyone knows that Canada is the land where dreams die :) Haven't they ever played D&D? Splitting your party in two almost always means DEATH!!

lol 10/10 on this bugfest
Said in other thread(s), the game is not a bugfest.
There are bugs inside, sure, but in a game this huge it's not surprising some annoyances slipped through.
Besides, quite a few of these bugs don't break anything but in fact benefit the player (reviving idol in backpack abuse is just one example).

This doesn't mean I'm defending 10/10. I don't. I'm closing 150 hours with the game but am not done with the playthrough yet - there is no way I can decide on potential score.
Nearmasterpiece, sure, it definetly is. A 10/10 masterpiece? Can't confirm.
What I can confirm 100% is that it is not a bugfest.

Uh Oh splitting your team in two and setting up offices in Canada. Hope they don't meet the same fate as Sir-Tech. Everyone knows that Canada is the land where dreams die :) Haven't they ever played D&D? Splitting your party in two almost always means DEATH!!
They splitted themselves in four. A team in Canada, a team in Russia, a writer team in Ireland and the largest team is in Belgium.

Metacritic score is up to 95 today, now equalling the highest-reviewed RPG ever (BG2). Only games on PC platform with a Metacritic score above 95 are HL1/HL2/Orange Box, GTA5, and BioShock...

Back
Top Bottom