Crusader Kings III - Royal Court in Feb 2022

Redglyph

SasqWatch
PC Invasion reports that the expansion Royal Court was postponed to February 8th, 2022.

Crusader Kings III: Royal Court expansion now has a February 2022 release date

[...]

An update of royal proportions

The developer revealed this release date in a new trailer, where Alexander Oltner, game director for Crusader Kings III, goes over some of the major new elements of the expansion. According to Oltner, the titular royal court and a new culture modification system make up the two most significant aspects of the expansion. Oltner refers to the royal court as "the scene where you can see yourself surrounded by courtiers and vassals actually ruling, bridging the gap between your character and the map."

And as opposed to the base game, which restricted players from changing their cultures, Oltner notes that in the expansion, cultures have become "modular." The newly added options culture options make "the formerly static system dynamic, basing it on acceptance and creating dynamism and emergent cultures."

[...]

More information.

Sounds nice!

Yeah, it's definitely a new and unexpected direction, going with an actual 3D court room. I have a feeling it'll end up feeling shallow and gimmicky, as I am not convinced they have the resources to pull it off… The screens so far looked fairly rough. I am expecting a fair amount of bugs, but I hope to be proven wrong.

The other features sound good though, I am glad to see artifacts and the inventory return and the dynamic cultures should help with immersion and emergent stories.
Curious what they'll be tackling next. There's still some big things missing, such as college of cardinals, regencies, saints, playable republics, a proper Byzantium, … I would have preferred any of those over a 3D court room.

Here's a feature breakdown for those interested:

Back
Top Bottom