Logic Artists - Expeditions Developer Closing Down

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@TechRaptor Logic Artists, having just released Expeditions: Rome will be closing down and the developers will join Dynasty Studios to make NFT games.

There's bad news for fans of the Expeditions franchise -- Expeditions: Rome developer Logic Artists is closing down and joining Dynasty Studios to make NFT games.

Expeditions: Rome has launched today, a little more than a year after the game was first revealed. It's a solid entry in the franchise, but it also looks like it may be the last: Logic Artists is closing down and joining Dynasty Studios to make NFT games.

[...]

More information.

I was worried about the post-release support for Expeditions:Rome but the article says the franchise belongs to THQ Nordic and that "The creation of Dynasty will not affect the support of Rome nor the DLC plans."

joining Dynasty Studios to make NFT games.

360_no_country0518.jpg

Logic Artists, having just released Expeditions: Rome will be closing down and the developers will join Dynasty Studios to make NFT games.

26-Wonka-Image.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Logic Artists claim THQ Nordic will we be handling the DLC and patches, but how will that work? Will it be a different studio? This does not sound like a good decision.:(

Agree with the general sentiment. Speaking as a software engineer with 20 years+ experience, there is no way anthing half decent is going to be done with the game now - apart from basic fixes that can be done via the dev toolset.

I actually did get a wierd vibe when I read the interview with them a few days ago.
This is what they said when asked about the future:

Ultimately, I don't know what the future holds for Expeditions, but as long as Rome is successful, I'd love to explore where the series might go in the future.

Guess we know that is a complete hogwash - they would of already been planning the NFT move for months. Surely they wouldn't base the future of the product on the first week of sales?

The marketeers are on another profit-making run I see. Yesterday it was loot boxes, now it's the NFT/blockchain scam.

I don't necessarily like this decision but I'm all for people getting the most out of life - doing whatever they want, even if it's making money thru sleaze. Not what I'd want to do but as a (non-gaming) dev that feels like good devs are underpaid, I applaud taking the risk ang going for it.

Logic Artists claim THQ Nordic will we be handling the DLC and patches, but how will that work? Will it be a different studio? This does not sound like a good decision.:(

That's true, we don't know for sure at this point. But there is no way a DLC and support can be guaranteed without the team staying in place long enough, nobody said this would happen immediately.

What we know is that Dynasty Studios is completely separated from THQ Nordic, Expeditions: Rome and its budget.

As for future games, Jonas said in a couple of posts that not everyone would go to Dynasty Studios, he even said as an ambiguous clue that he had nothing to do with it. It wouldn't be surprising to see a spin-off since those developers have worked together for a long time and they have made very good games. It's not as if there were any sign of decline or wish to disband. But that's wishful thinking, we should know more in a few months.

That makes me not want to buy Rome out of spite. I know its not logical, but I was buying their games on release before to support a small indie studio I liked. If they're just giving up on these games I may as well wait for the bargain bin.

Really sorry to hear this, I really like the guys at Logic Artists. I wish them every luck for the future.

Daniel.

This is bananas. Hopefully THQ Nordic can find another developer to handle the expeditions franchise because it would suck to not have another expeditions game. I’d love to see a fantasy expeditions next maybe based on a book series.

That makes me not want to buy Rome out of spite. I know its not logical, but I was buying their games on release before to support a small indie studio I liked. If they're just giving up on these games I may as well wait for the bargain bin.

You could see that as supporting what they've done, not what they're about to do. :) Especially since we don't know what they're about to do.

That being said, I believe that what they're going to do will be good too, even if's not the Expeditions series anymore. If THQ continues the series with another development team, I'll be very cautious; I'd be following the team, not the series.

Bought it, but haven't played it yet. If sales do well I'm sure something good will be born of the ashes.

Back
Top Bottom