Divinity: Original Sin II - Reviews - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Divinity: Original Sin II - Reviews

Default Divinity: Original Sin II - Reviews

September 19th, 2017, 15:36
Here are three reviews for Original Sin 2 I could dig up. Not a large amount of reviews, but there are a number of reviews as work in progress to be found, which I have not added to this list.

GameInformer, 9.75

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is one of the greatest PC RPGs of all time, and Larian’s continued dedication to creating incredible freeform adventures inspired by tabletop lineage is inspiring and commendable. A few bugs and frustrating encounters are small prices to pay for a lavish ensemble of the genre’s best and a one-of-a-kind experience.
Gameskinny, 9

I've been trying to think of things I legitimately don't like about the game and can only come up with minor quibbles, like the fact that some of the standard key bindings don't quite make sense to me. Why does the G button bring up the crafting screen instead of the C button? Why does tab switch to combat instead of highlighting the stuff on the ground?

Other than that, and my distaste for comic relief, there's really nothing about Divinity: Original Sin 2 that doesn't scream "RPG of the year!" It's got everything an RPG fanatic could want: crafting, 10 types of skill categories to choose from, different build foci, robust combat, interesting characters and quests, and plenty more. Basically, if you love anything cRPG related from the Infinity Engine forward, you need to buy this game
Multiplayer.it, 9.4
No idea what they are saying, as it is in Italian, but given the rating, I'm sure it's something positive.

More information.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)

September 19th, 2017, 15:37
Divinity: Original Sin 2 is one of the greatest PC RPG JUNKs of all time.. Hype for the Junk Train.
--
SSI Gold Box-style game, we are working on.

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

September 19th, 2017, 15:51
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Divinity: Original Sin 2 is one of the greatest PC RPG JUNKs of all time.. Hype for the Junk Train.
What do you mean? Can you explain? I haven't played it at all yet.

Ovenall

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

September 19th, 2017, 15:55
Divinity: Original Sin 2 is one of the greatest PC RPGs of all time
i laughed good
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
+1:

September 19th, 2017, 15:57
Originally Posted by Ovenall View Post
What do you mean? Can you explain? I haven't played it at all yet.
I don't remember anything positive written by that user…
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

September 19th, 2017, 16:34
I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but calling it one of the greatest PC RPGs of all time is a bit much. To say the least.

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander
+1:

September 19th, 2017, 16:47
9 and more?
When did those reviewers made time to complete all quests, all 6 crewmember sidestories, solo playthrough then coop playthrough, GM mode, etc?
The game is huge and rich with content, I just can't believe they tried everything and based the score on that everything.

Okay multiplayer.it probably tried coop only in LAN, over internet and with two mushhroom pads attached on one PC so I guess coop could be 9.4, but I'm more interested in singleplayer.

Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but calling it one of the greatest PC RPGs of all time is a bit much. To say the least.
You missed the word "junk".
Tastes. IIRC he's into Avernum.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)

September 19th, 2017, 16:48
Review copies probalby went out a week in advance. I actually find the game quite decent - esp the story but i'm not very far. Just completed act 1. Its not perfect and it lacks some of the humor that DD had but really so far ok.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

September 19th, 2017, 17:02
I enjoy this game very much, it is beautiful, well polished and deep in combat system.

domein

Vintage Brewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

September 19th, 2017, 17:19
Those reviews feel a bit like paid reviewers Bethesda style.

Saxon1974

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1:

September 19th, 2017, 17:46
or just derp reviewers, game is a bugfest, how can you give 9.75 to a bugfest
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

September 19th, 2017, 17:58
The nature of online gaming journalism (using "journalism" in the loosest possible way) requires that these writers trip over each other to the finish line with their reviews, or they don't get paid. This might work for FPS or other genres. But with cRPGs with any depth, these reviews are largely worthless. That's what makes places like rpgWatch so useful… I put the opinion of most regulars here far FAR above those of paid "reviewers."
--
If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

September 19th, 2017, 18:33
Wow, was hoping for more real-time feedback from forum members about this game. So it's buggy but decent. That's all we got so far?

I enjoyed the first OS more than I expected I would, but will probably wait for the discounts to start showing.

ChaosTheory

Virtual Reality Hero

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

September 19th, 2017, 18:41
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Wow, was hoping for more real-time feedback from forum members about this game. So it's buggy but decent. That's all we got so far?

I enjoyed the first OS more than I expected I would, but will probably wait for the discounts to start showing.
There is a 5 pages long and counting thread actually.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

September 19th, 2017, 19:18
I'm enjoying the new DOS 2 far more than DOS 1 so far. There are quirks to get used to, change in the mechanics. For example, to those used to play on hard simply because games nowadays become too easy really fast, I don't recommend the tactician level but the classic one. On tactician the game definitely is a lot harder and the fights become much longer.

Personally I like Tactician. I like the longer fights and having to ponder how to extract the utmost of my characters abilities, planning how the environment and all can interact better together….and sometimes coming back later or trying a few times . But its definitely not for everyone.

I'm know there are bugs because I've read about them, but I haven't encountered any so far in my game.
--
Steam: Galaad97

Galaad

Sentinel
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Galaad

September 19th, 2017, 19:23
Another review is up on Metacritic now,

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2017/09…sin-ii/272392/

They gave it 5/5

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

September 19th, 2017, 20:20
I got bored quite fast by the fights in the first and found the story average. I am having lot of fun with this one. Even n the writing seems way better.
Avoid Nicholas in the chapter 2. That guy is till bugged.

Aerth

Mentioned: Post(s)

September 19th, 2017, 21:17
I was hoping this would be the one where they knocked it out of the park, but many reliable voices are tempering expectations somewhat, even if the press seems ecstatic.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)

September 19th, 2017, 21:22
Yes, it's definitively an EE buy for me…
--
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." — H. L. Mencken

zahratustra

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

September 19th, 2017, 21:35
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I was hoping this would be the one where they knocked it out of the park, but many reliable voices are tempering expectations somewhat, even if the press seems ecstatic.
They knocked it out of the planet if you go read neogaf or reddits threads about the game actually.

RPGWatch is just full of jaded gamers.
--

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Divinity: Original Sin II - Reviews