US lawmaker petitions against Loot Boxes

I like this take from Shamus Young … and agree with him that many in the US lack an appreciation of just how huge FIFA is globally.

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=41164

Many in the U.S. lack the appreciation of how big ANY bigger game is globally !

Remember that TOEE got only ONE patch - and that for the English-language versions ONLY ?

I will never forget that.

Or the so-called "Collector's Edition" of Pools Of Radiance 2 - which was absolute CRAP for the European veraion - AND that they did NOT want to do any European Collector's Edition in the first place !

In my opinion, there's just too much neglect of anything outside of the non-English "language space".

That's a bit of offtopic, but hopefully you do realize USA remakes stuff from other english speaking countries. Not sure how and why, seems that Hollywood doesn't understand english spoken in UK, Ireland, Australia and NZ.
Ergo, language has nothing to do with it. It's the pocket that does. Money. :)

When it comes to huge money transfers, in this case lootboxes thanks to publishers' greed generate exactly that, no government will pretend nothing is happening for long.
Would happen sooner if Hollywood wasn't fixated on comics supervillains and butchering of Tolkien's books. There is no movie about sleezy lootboxes company CEO that'd create buzz and public outcry. And of course make ignorant politicians understand what's going on at the market.

That's a bit of offtopic, but hopefully you do realize USA remakes stuff from other english speaking countries. Not sure how and why, seems that Hollywood doesn't understand english spoken in UK, Ireland, Australia and NZ.
Ergo, language has nothing to do with it. It's the pocket that does. Money. :).

My favourite examnple of this is this movie : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tall_Blond_Man_with_One_Black_Shoe :D
I once watched the american remake https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_with_One_Red_Shoe - and didn't like it at all. All of that special French humor was lost in my eyes.

It's like ... I grew up with Belgian and French (and German) comic. They are SO MUCH different in style, telling etc. from american comics ...

Just look at Asterix, Lucky Luke, the Smurfs, Tintin, Marsupilami, Valérian, Nick Knatterton (as a German example), and all those famous French and Belgian comics ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco-Belgian_comics
Just take a look at the entry "notable comics" there.

In my personal perception, it's just a different kind of culture.

That list is "misleadeing" as other countries have amazing comics too (those I call must before dying) for example spanish Hombre by Ortiz, a postapoc characters drama that sadly never got a proper closure. Another example are Toppi's crazy works drawn so perfect to this day rarely anyone can surpass his style - he was italian. Etc.

What about japanese comics? :) Their generally simplistic visually yet narratively deep style doesn't mean everyone and their mother was dumbing visuals down, it's hard to find a comic more surreal than Junji Ito's works, at the same time Tsutomu Nihei makes an detailed artwork of each and every single scene.

In USA the major genre after Superman's popularity became superheroes, but thinking USA only made superheroes and nothing else would be a slap to all different authors who worked on Sandman. Besides that ingenious work, today usually integrated in 4part "bible" everyone should read before dying IMO ofcourse, I bet you've heard about Sin City movie and am 100% sure you've heard about The Walking Dead tv show - both are based on USA nonsuperhero comics.

Culture differences? No. Just publishers who refused or accepted to print something alienating certain tastes in their area out of fear something won't sell. Thanks to globalization regardless of haters and thanks to internet, everyone can find a comic they'll adore in this century. Well… Except in countries with dracionian censorship, but that's a story for another day.
All I know is that we need a nonsuperheroes comics thread.

All that aside. Comics never needed any kind of government bills, those are ment to be at least partially, an art. Gambling cannot ever be an art in traditional sense, it can only be an art of fraud. As such it needs to be regulated by authorities.

I have never seen a comic originating from the U.S. that was similar to Asterix, Smurfs or Marsupilami. Plus, I don't even recall major humorous comics from the U.S. …

… the only two examples I know of are Bone and Akiko.

… And Little Nemo, which is in a league by itself …

Edit : Both Asterix and Nick Knatterton were originally meant to be kind of parodies of the superhero comics genre.

It's been a while now that the situation was deemed out of control.
The bill does not address cosmetic sales and people are known to get riled up by cosmetic sales (ref: thread on this site about FO 76)

Bill will do nothing but bringing legal fees, legal fees that will be shifted on customers, preferably those who do not bother about loot boxes and stuff.
A battle through proxies.

Somebody somewhere has to endure to keep up the machine. And by doing so, the pyramidal scheme is made dependent on the resiliency of people at the bottom.

I have never seen a comic originating from the U.S. that was similar to Asterix…
There is no comic similar to Asterix anywhere, not just in USA. ;)
But that and other stuff, do please open a thread about comics. I did "plan" to do it sometime in the future, but the problematic part is I don't have enough time for that currently. It was supposed to look similar to NMS hints thread with pics, quotes, references, words about authors, stories and even publishers.

There is another "modern problem" there, while I refuse to buy physical editions of videogames, when it comes to comics I want them on paper because everyone is stalling with quality color e-ink gadgets. In other words, find me a person who will say they can enjoy reading comics on a monitor or tablet for hours.
Digital versions of comics are of course cheaper than physical and can't get ruined over time by atmospheric changes (no I'm not talking about atmospheric books, movies, games or whatever - I have no idea what does that mean).

So is this a proper time to write about comics when we're facing more important stuff like the thing in this thread - lootboxes regulation? Dunno.
the pyramidal scheme
Thanks for that. I've written somewhere "legal Ponzi scheme" to describe lootboxes, but your wording is more correct plus will be more understandable to masses.

atmospheric… I have no idea what does that means.

Atmosphere means pertaining to the air, correct, and this is the only meaning you're familiar with. So yes, comics are susceptible to atmospheric degradation, heat, damp, etc.

The other meaning of atmosphere, the one you struggle with, is best learned if you imagine a situation where there is 'just something in the air', but that this something does not relate to weather or temperature but instead relates to our imagintion interpreting it's surroundings, to which there are many examples.

The most common example would be something like love. To which one's perception of one's environment radically changes when one is in love. Everything seems prettier, everyone seems nicer, everything in the world just feels right. I can't imagine you don't understand this perception as it's one of the most well known examples of "something in the air":

In effect, love has changed the atmosphere for you, you're imagination of your surrounding space. Ergo, if you are in a room full of love it will have different atmospherics than if you were in a room full of angry people who were staring at you.

And the second most common atmospheric situation is indeed one of threat. Imagine sitting in your room in the dark, no-one else in the house. The atmosphere is one of quiet tranquility, a peacefull atmosphere shapes your perception of your surrounding space. Now imagine you hear the sound of breaking glass in another room. You're sense of atmosphere has instantly changed, your immediate space is now dominated by a sense of dread, trepidation and nervous energy which shapes your perception of the space around you. Your once warm, cosy, soft space now feels sharp, claustrophobic and oppressive.

Another common example is the socially uncomfortable notion of awkwardness. You know how you can be having a perfectly fine conversation with someone one minute, only for the situation to suddenly change upon the utterence of one single sentence which immediately sends others into a state of awkwardness. That awkwardness is purely "in the air" and though does not exist physically can be "felt" by the people in the room, ergo: it changes the "atmosphere".

In terms of art and media, atmospherics are defined as the products ability to communicate such states of mind regarding the space you are in:

Does the scene convey the sense of grime and stink when walking through a sewer?
Does the scene convey the sense of love when there is a romantic plotline?
Does the scene convey a sense of threat if it is a thriller?
Does the scene feel like it's set in the post-apocalypse, or does it just seem like characters are standing in a convoluted environment?

The first component of atmospherics is usually lighting:

quanta18livingroom2.jpg

So in the above picture, which of the three would make someone feel that their surrouning space was warm and cosy, and which would make their surrounding space feel colder and lonelier?

Then you move onto furniture: would the room feel cosier with some nice paintings on the wall and does the room feel colder with bare walls? Of course:

Dr%2BNo%2B069.jpg

Then you move onto sound:

etc, etc until you've covered every aspect of artistic magic, all of which combines to create the exact atmosphere you were hoping to convey: the sense of perception of your surrounding space.

Athmosphere is rather about feelings, about emotions. And thus, it is not accessible via logic.

Which is why dictators usually forbid everything that has to do with emotions : They cannot control it. Or at least, to some part. (Nazi styles come to mind, and the infamous Leni Riefenstahl.)
Logic, that's a 6thing dictators can very much control, even under the guise of "alternative facts"
But there are no "alternative emotions", which is why emotions are considered dangerous - or dictators try to evoke different emotions with the intention of these emotions working towards them (like racism, the fear of "outlanders", for example).

It's therefore no wonder that music and dance are forbidden in some countries (the IS comes to mind).

To both of you thanks for trying and hopefully all of it helps someone eager to accept a new addition to their vocabulary.

In my case it can't help. Using of the word "atmospheric" is such an abstraction that is completely meaningless to me not because it can mean anything, from shiny spring day to smell of rotten eggs. But because, sorry for saying this, a person who uses it is IMO incapable of precise expression through words. Sometimes I can't do it either, but at the same time I don't want to confuse anyone.

If people ever agree that "atmospheric" can mean one and only one type of things, give me a nudge. Till then, sewers stink won't be atmospheric, spaceship sim in vacuum won't be atmospheric nor will dusty house interiors in a horror game be atmospheric. And anyone describing something as atmospheric will mean absolutely nothing to me.

A few slightly ontopic questions:
- is US lawmaker atmospheric?
- are petitions atmospheric?
- is being against something, since it's about emotions, atmospheric?
- are lootboxes atmospheric?

Yes or no, dunno, but I'd like pic proof. :D

EDIT:
Please just don't compare it with use of the word - bullshit. It's easy to prove with a pic of real one that something doesn't look like that, but the word in this case has a precise meaning that cannot be interpretted/imagined differently in endless variety of ways. I mean, there is a good reason why I made "gaming bs of the week" thread and not "gaming atmospherics of the week".;)

Last edited:
Please just don't compare it with use of the word - bullshit. It's easy to prove with a pic of real one that something doesn't look like that, but the word in this case has a precise meaning that cannot be interpretted/imagined differently in endless variety of ways. I mean, there is a good reason why I made "gaming bs of the week" thread and not "gaming atmospherics of the week".;)

Bullshit is what comes out of a male cow as excrement. No game has ever been made that is literally excrement from a male cow. And yes, you appear to be happy to understand and use a word that has alternative meanings beyond the literal. Which makes it very difficult to communicate with you if you choose to pick and choose what you decide to understand.

Are you just trolling? Do you know full well what atmospheric means but just enjoy pretending you don't because that's the kind of little thing you get off on?

Or are you someone on the autistic spectrum and as such are physically incapable of interpreting your environment, unable to feel certain emotions or social situations?

Or does your first language, what ever that is, simply not have the word atmospheric nor any close similarity and so no-one close to you has ever used it in your life? If so, what is your first language?

There's nothing abstract about atmospherics, everything has an atmosphere. Why do you treat the word atmosphere as if it's some kind of unusual thing that is somehow beyond your ability to learn? Why does the word atmospherics pose such a huge problem for you as oppose to the other 171,475 words in the language? What is it about the word atmospherics that turns you into your stereotypical on-line persona of mr. don't give a shit that the other 171,475 words don't?

It's like you're somehow threatened by this word or something?

Yes on trolling, each and every post of mine is trolling. :) There is huge a difference between me and codexians though, and that's…

No on stereotypical anything, can't see me becoming any online stereotype. Yet.

No on being threatened, it's me who's threatening not buying games if lack of k+m support. And, of course, if contain lootboxes.

Additionally:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ed-through-the-mud-by-belgian-loot-box-ruling
The Flemish Gaming Association (FLEGA) said the games industry is being "dragged through the mud" after the Belgian gambling regulator ruled that loot boxes in any form constitute gambling under national law.

Last year, the Belgian Gaming Commission (BGC) released a report into loot boxes and ruled the mechanic constituted gambling, regardless as to whether it was possible to cash out items for real-world monetary value . It also recommended that companies failing to comply with the law could face fines or even prison sentences.

Speaking with GamesIndustry.biz at Nordic Game 19 last week, FLEGA spokesman David Verbruggen said the current situation is bordering on a witch hunt.
It's not bordering when it comes to me. I want the witch named Lootboxes to burn.
Hopefully the smoke from it will be atmospheric. :)

Last edited:
Well, if it's trolling, then don't complain when the topic goes off-topic because you decided to 'have a laugh' by making some stupid thing a topic that never would have been a topic if you hadn't decided to troll about it, duh. *facepalm*

Complaining about offtopic is one thing I don't do unless there is something to gain from it, complaining on lootboxes is something everyone would IMO benefit from except EA CEO. And I'm not his slave.

After reading the text, it appears it is going to be a party.

Magic, the vid product fits the bill, it is by the bill's definition, pay to win since players can speed up their experience through paying money. And it could be argued that it aint fun to get destroyed when playing a budget deck.

It happens that magic has an original paper version, which has a market attached to card reselling.

Paper version, digital version, both work the same, they aim at a similar audience and kids are involved.

It is going to be party when they have to tell that the vid product is gambling whereas it is going to be different for the paper version since it is not a corp that make the money, but the average man. There is an economy behind the paper version in the hands of the average man who would not want to see their money vaporized because magic is gambling and harms the kid.

The joy of double standards.

Pay $60 and hit the random generator for eternity without paying a dime more is one standard.
Pay $60 then pay for each random generator diceroll is another standard.
Pay nothing till you hit random generator diceroll which needs to be paid is the third standard.

I have no idea how someone cannot see the difference between a proper videogame with ingame gambling simulation and RL gambling slotmachine pretending to be a videogame which is also falsely advertised as videogame.
Of course there is the hybrid where part of it is a videogame and another is gambling, but that one will die off as soon as the bill gets taken seriously. If.

The joy of triple standards.

Triple standards do not exist.

Magic's case is going to be one to watch.

It's time for some good news. Or rather not bad news? Decide yourself.

Google is trying to save lootboxes from ban. Why, not sure, but that's how it is.
https://wccftech.com/play-store-makes-it-mandatory-for-games-to-show-loot-box-item-probability/
We can all agree that loot boxes are the scourge of the gaming community. The fact that it is essentially a low-key gamble for an item you may or may not want doesn’t make it any better. Different countries have tried different approaches to tackle the problem. The Netherlands requires all companies to reveal the contents of loot boxes they’re opened. The USA wants to regulate them too. China, on the other hand, makes developers list the probability of receiving an item. The Play Store seems to be taking the same approach, as highlighted by the new Play Store policy:
Developers must not mislead users about the apps they are selling nor about any in-app services, goods, content, or functionality offered for purchase. If your product description on Google Play refers to in-app features that may require a specific or additional charge, your description must clearly notify users that payment is required to access those features. Apps offering mechanisms to receive randomized virtual items from a purchase (i.e. “loot boxes”) must clearly disclose the odds of receiving those items in advance of purchase.
China(TM)Solutions.
I'd pick Belgium's ruling any day over that.

I wonder if Apple and Steam will do this too or something different.

What's FTC? Neverheardofit, except it seems to be some USA very important thing.
Anyway, this week the mentioned FTC, whoever might that be, organized a workshop on lootboxes. And gamesindustry is sharing daily news on what's going on there.

As a rare beast interested in banning lootboxes from videogames, as IMO a product with lootboxes shouldn't be called a videogame, I'm reading passionately every single article, but…

Most of it is everything we all know. Only this time it's summarized at one place by different people including some researchers, for example:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-08-08-loot-boxes-a-matter-of-life-or-death
While Zendle said his research and others has shown a link between problem gambling and loot boxes, he conceded that it's unclear what sort of causal relationship might exist. It could be that players who get deeply into loot boxes are then more likely to develop problems with real-world gambling, or that people who already have problems with real-world gambling are disproportionately drawn to loot boxes.

"We don't know which of these are true and which of these are right, but in either case, it's a clear cause for concern and not something to be trivialized," Zendle said. "In one case, you have a mechanism in games that many children play that is literally causing a state of affairs that is enormously destructive. And if loot boxes do cause problem gambling, we're looking at an epidemic of problem gambling the scale of which the world has never seen.

"And if that's not true -- and I'm totally open to that not being true -- then you've got a system in which game companies are differentially profiting from the most vulnerable of their consumers. Problem gamblers already have enormous issues in their lives. They don't need to have their money taken away from them through this as well."

Right? We already saw this pointed at in different game critics' videos, but okay, whomever FTC is probably wasn't aware of lootboxes plague so if anything, the workshop collected all sorts of informations anyone can use in further references.

The major new information interesting to us on RPGwatch IMO should be this one:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...its-to-loot-box-transparency-across-portfolio
Epic Games commits to loot box transparency across portfolio

THQ Nordic also weighs in on ESA pledges: "We do not plan to implement casino-styled mechanics in our games"
Epic Games (not Epic Store!) commitment means you'll know exactly what you get in a box you buy. In their games. No odds, no percentages, no gambling, no bullshit. Aka, they'll be returning to "classic" microtransactions where you know excatly what you'll gonna get before paying a dime.

This doesn't mean Epic Games will stop with other anticonsumer practices like doomsday mechanics (expiring "sale"), login bonuses (to turn you into an addict), timers and caps of all sorts (selling time/"energy"/"ingredients" convenience rubbish), anchoring (overpriced digital goods "discounted" in other packages), etc.

Nordic Games is clear. No lootboxes in the past, no today, and not gonna happen ever in videogames they publish.
Unlike EA fraudsters with "surprise mechanics" and unlike me who call all of it a plain scam, NG used most probably the best description of lootboxes so far: casino-styled mechanics.
Lemme do a happy dance.

FTC = Federal Trade Commission. They're responsible for keeping companies from doing things that are too naughty or getting too big over here in the States.

Back
Top Bottom