Last game you finished, tell us about it

I do not want to read spoilers about Kingmaker. Have not finished my 200 h (and counting) playthrough yet. You can tell what you liked about the game, but please keep the spoilers to yourself ;)

Might is Right, indeed!! As I've said earlier, this one plays like a Heroes of Might and Magic game, or King's Bounty. You've a main hero, and a few mercenaries that travel along, taking towns, castles, and resources along the way. What you liberate or seize you must also garrison, so there's another element to keep you further involved with the map. As you explore, and the fun factor in exploration here is rather high, you can also inspect your opponents before committing to battle, which is a good thing to practice because not all fights are equal. If you find yourself underpowered or low of level, you can also pick off roamers that don't always stick to the roads, and gather loot and experience that way.

I rather enjoyed this game, and I know I'll be re-playing it again in the future. If the genre appeals to you as a player, Might is Right will likely be something you'll enjoy.

Just wrapped up Wasteland 3

Highly recommend. Big improvements from Wastleland 2, which I also enjoyed. But this game is better and more fun.

Reasons why…

Writing / creative. I loved the story lines, characters, and dialog. Both in terms of tone and content. Vibe fits well with a post apocalypse setting. Lots of little fun stuff like music, old recording you find. Great 80s retro stuff with historical references and satire. Just overall great and well-written content. This is number one reason to play IMHO.

Party options. Many big budget modern RPGs make it essentially mandatory to play with the characters you meet in game as the story evolves. And even when you have the option to use your own player generated characters, I’m always hesitant to do that when I know the devs have spent a lot of time and budget $$ on characters. I just don’t want to miss out on a huge chunk of the content I paid for. I was missing playing more of an Icewind Dale game where I just have my own party. WL3 for me did a great job of combining the two options. You can pick a few players if you want, but you can also role you own party, and it won’t dramatically change the game or make you feel like you are missing out. I played with a core group of 4 characters I built and really loved, and then swapped a few of the in game characters in and out depending on my mode. I really liked that flexibility. I would encourage players not to shy away from building your own custom party.

Cool plot choices. Lots of fun themes explored. Good vs. lawful. Ends justifying the means. Loyalty. Again well suited to the post apocalypse theme. At least 4-5 times during the game I was really thinking hard about what my little party would do in this situation. I find myself wanting to find a thread somewhere to hear what people did and why. That's pretty unique.

Minor complaints:

The combat got pretty easy as the game progressed and my party leveled up. I was able to destroy everything easily. I would have massively ramped up difficulty of encounters towards the end game. No easy way to self-throttle your party’s power because you need to spend your points to get access to the cooler higher level weapons.

Some clunky UI stuff. Something a little annoying about the camera dynamics. The way your inventory gets sorted.

Final thoughts…

I read today in the forums some complaints about length, amount of content. I personally would turn that around as a positive. The game is tight, and I felt all the quests were meaty in terms of writing and design. I don’t like a million lame side quests. And I don’t like it when I’ve been playing a game for months and just run out of gas and want it to end. This one left me wanting more, which I think is a good thing.

Just wrapped up Wasteland 3

Highly recommend. Big improvements from Wastleland 2, which I also enjoyed. But this game is better and more fun.

Reasons why…

I read today in the forums some complaints about length, amount of content. I personally would turn that around as a positive. The game is tight, and I felt all the quests were meaty in terms of writing and design. I don’t like a million lame side quests. And I don’t like it when I’ve been playing a game for months and just run out of gas and want it to end. This one left me wanting more, which I think is a good thing.

I think one of the issues was that not just the combat got super easy towards the end but also the story and quest felt a bit rushed there. I think if they made combat more balanced and added 2-5h more content at the very end, the final impression would also have been better.

dark souls 3

replayed it after i finished it back at release; well its the worst of the trilogy, it is the most linear without question and what is annoying is that if you go the wrong way in the small moments when the game allows you, you get a subtle hand holding to go the other way. Overall the zones design also suck ass, they look impressive and cool but its nothing wow about them. My most annoying issue, is that they made everything faster, coming after replaying ds2, i tought something was wrong with the game in the start.

The big good points are 2 actually, the bosses and sidequests/npcs. Bosses hands hown, are tough as fuck and more than a few are memorable. As for the sidequests, big thumbs up again, unless you will use a WT, you will probably miss 2/3 of them; they are also intertwined between them, they even affect the endings.

I could say another good point is for those who played the first in the series, as in this one you revisit some locations in a different timeline and brings back nostalgia, but besides that, there are tons of references to the first one.

Just finished Elex. Steam tells me I have been playing it for 54 hours but it's certainly less than this as my PC remained idle with this on for a while. More like somewhere between 45 and 50 hours.

I was a bit sceptical at first but the game began to grew on me despite its high initial difficulty. By the time my cleric became level 20 or so and I managed to upgrade my guns, the game became pretty easy. Even for the final boss, it took just a couple of burst from my level 3 laser rifle to win. A bit disappointing, honestly. I enjoyed how they kept us playing the game right after that fight and gave us a mission to go talk with all the main characters of the world. Much better than the usual epilogue we get :)

Cool plot choices. Lots of fun themes explored. Good vs. lawful. Ends justifying the means. Loyalty. Again well suited to the post apocalypse theme. At least 4-5 times during the game I was really thinking hard about what my little party would do in this situation. I find myself wanting to find a thread somewhere to hear what people did and why. That's pretty unique.

I agree, this is something I really enjoyed in W3. Really interesting choice. In the end, I decided to side with the Patriarch but it was a difficult decision.

Just finished Elex. Steam tells me I have been playing it for 54 hours but it's certainly less than this as my PC remained idle with this on for a while. More like somewhere between 45 and 50 hours.

That's a pretty quick playthrough for Elex. I take it you're not a big explorer? I spent around 200 hours on a single playthrough.

did you watch the grass grow? :lol:

:lol:

I can't say I explored every nook and cranny of the game but I did play pretty much every quest I could find in all four major areas, except those that involved killing people I didn't want to kill :p By the end, my character was level 42.

I think one of the issues was that not just the combat got super easy towards the end but also the story and quest felt a bit rushed there. I think if they made combat more balanced and added 2-5h more content at the very end, the final impression would also have been better.

I agree with this. The end did feel rushed a bit.

Yesterday I polished off Eredia: Diary of Heroes. I'd finished the main quest line a day earlier, and then I completed several minor side quests that had to be done on certain days, as this game follows a calendar format for some of the quests.

Where to begin with this game! First it's an rpg-maker style product, yet more involved than the average of those kind. You start off pretty weak, and you remain that way for a bit. Initially you get a companion pretty early on, and then you can work on a few quests. Later you'll pick up two more for your team, and that's when the game really opens, as you'll have a serious healer and can explore a bit more.

It's a massive game, both in scope and areas to explore, and the exploration factor in this product is high. Getting out in the world is where the joy is at, once you've a few quests logged in your book. You'll get your nose bloodied a few times, but that's where the fun is at, right? The characters that join you have quests of their own to explore, all of those are worth doing as it simply improves the involved party member.
I'll leave it at this: if you like rpg-maker style games, you'll enjoy Eredia. There is a sequel coming I believe, and I'll be getting that for sure!

baldurs gate + siege of dragonspear

i think the main game is a bit overrated, nothing near the praise it gets, also has one of the worst pathfinding i ever seen in a crpg; i liked the writing though and that it had two dozens companions. As for the dlc, they made it more simple, added a bunch of QoLs but it gets weak towards the end regarding the story, and what they say about being 25h+, complete bullshit

baldurs gate + siege of dragonspear

i think the main game is a bit overrated, nothing near the praise it gets, also has one of the worst pathfinding i ever seen in a crpg; i liked the writing though and that it had two dozens companions. As for the dlc, they made it more simple, added a bunch of QoLs but it gets weak towards the end regarding the story, and what they say about being 25h+, complete bullshit
Did you see my reply in the thread you made for this issue? You asked a question there but it seems you never came back ;)

The only problem I had with pathfinding was in dungeons with narrow paths. Every now and then when the whole party is moving, a companion would see that his/her way is blocked by another, and take a detour to reach the destination, even though the other companion was moving (pretty dumb, but a honest bug). We'll have to see if that's solved when 2.6 is officially out.

As for the overrated praise, we'd have to get back to its release year to appreciate, I suppose. But I was pleasantly surprised when I played it recently. Except for the old ruleset, it's a bit painful in comparison to a D&D 3.5E or 5E.

The only problem I had with pathfinding was in dungeons with narrow paths. Every now and then when the whole party is moving, a companion would see that his/her way is blocked by another, and take a detour to reach the destination, even though the other companion was moving (pretty dumb, but a honest bug). We'll have to see if that's solved when 2.6 is officially out.

Same here. I never understood why some people claim the pathfinding is so bad. I never had any major issues in the original release or the EE.

I suspect you're more likely to run into problems the farther away you direct the characters. For example, clicking to move to a spot halfway across the map without setting any waypoints in between. I'm the type that likes to guide my group in small chunks, so I tend to click the ground more often.

Sorry but BG deserves all the praise it gets ;-)

Epic story, great pace, fun battles, huge replay value, tons of options/companions. Sure, the graphic got old but beside this, it's still a great game. Maps are large and offer a lot of things to explore. With BG2, they are imo the best rtwp game ever made.

By the way, I feel AD&D 2nd edition was very adapted for RTwP. Especially for fighters classes. I think it was part of its success. Characters didn't need as much micromanagement than with later editions where you had to use feats. Not to mention non-D&D games like Tyranny or PoE where you have to keep spamming all your skills/spells.

Imo, 3rd Edition is best for turn-based games, or games where you are expected to really control only one character. Like many modules of NWN. It gives a bit more tactical/upgrade possibilities.

As for pathfinding, * shrug* For me, it's a very secondary issue. Sure, it's not always perfect but it get the job done most of the time.

CP 2077 for third time, pre-patch no important or dis-immersive bugs. I find news things each time. My favourite in game comment scrawled on a sheet of cardboard is “Aliens abducted my wife ands, help me celebrate”.

:lol:

I can't say I explored every nook and cranny of the game but I did play pretty much every quest I could find in all four major areas, except those that involved killing people I didn't want to kill :p By the end, my character was level 42.
Damn it took 124hrs for my game. I did experiment with all factions before picking one (they all sucked).

Back
Top Bottom