Dragon Commander - Board Game to be part of Collector's Edition

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
While I was visiting the Larian Studios booth, Swen Vincke showed me the board game of Dragon Commander that they have created in parallel with the development of the game and are planning to ship as part of the Dragon Commander Collector's Edition at the end of March 2013.
Here are two images showing some parts of the game and the current design of the cardboard box.

Swen explained some parts of the game to me. It has hexagon tiles which can be placed as you like. Some of these tiles are obstructions (water, mountains), resulting in you having to travel around them.
After placing the tiles each player gets to place small cards that come in two types providing either gold or resources on each of the tiles, which you can utilize once you own a tile. After that all players can place your troops.
Troops that are on a tile are attacked by moving a selection of your troops there (the game features different types of troops) and throwing the red dices. The defender gets to throw the green dices. Depending on what both of you throw you lose troops or your opponent does. This is continued until there is one survivor.
In addition you can play one or more of the playing cards you have that either give you and attack or defense bonus. There is quite a lot of strategy involved before you can win the game, but given that there are dices it also has a luck component.
As I did not take any notes while Swen showed it to me an I am getting older I might have missed a point or two, but you should get the general idea :)
Anyway, this is an awesome Collector's Edition that comes in a box of a size we have not seen in a while and certainly beats most if not any CE that has come to the market in the last years.
More information.

Awesome idea. I'm sure it will help sell extra copies of the collector's edition. If I figured I would have someone to play it with, I would be inclined to purchase it myself. I think I'll just stick with a digital copy though ;)

Oooooooooh.

Although, I suspect I will have to go with the digital version as well. Shipping that CE from Europe to Canada is going to be expensive. :(

Time to put some money aside. ;)

Oooooooooh.

Although, I suspect I will have to go with the digital version as well. Shipping that CE from Europe to Canada is going to be expensive. :(

... Or you find someone who helps you out ...

Sounds and looks a lot like a Dragonlance boardgame a childhood neighbour once bought. Not that it is a bad thing. Just unlocked an old memory seeing this.

This reminds me of an old board game called "Kings & Things".

-Sergorn

Back
Top Bottom